The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:49:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Separate screen and plate modulation of a DX-20  (Read 6201 times)
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« on: January 21, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »

Following up on another thread on this board:

I have my DX-20 configured so that I can separately modulate the plate and the screen.

I'm using a reverse-connected Hammond output transformer as a plate modulation transformer.

I'm using a toroidal ferrite filament transformer (as described in another thread) to modulate the screen.

The equivalent source impedance of the screen modulating signal is 2500 ohms. The screen modulating signal is AC-coupled to the screen. The screen is DC-biased with a 50k ohm resistor running from the un-modulated B+ to the screen (as per the original DX-20 design).

The output tube in the DX-20 is a 6DQ6A (which is not all that different from a 6146)

I am using a Samson Servo 120a 2-channel audio amplifier. One channel is feeding the plate modulation transformer. The other channel is feeding the screen modulation transformer. Both channels of the audio amplifier are being driven by my regular audio chain (in parallel). The amplifier is rated at up to 60 watts output, per channel, into 8 ohm loads.

With the DX-20 loaded to approximately 30 watts output (at carrier), with approximately 600 volts of B+ and approximately 120 mA of plate current... I adjusted the levels of the plate modulating signal and the screen modulating signal to get a nice clean sine wave on the output of my off air monitor (for a sine wave input to the audio amplifier) at 100% modulation.

Then, for a fixed level of plate modulating signal... if the screen modulating signal was reduced, the percentage of output modulation dropped. If the screen modulating signal was increased, the modulation became distorted (flat topping at the positive and negative modulation peaks).

The above is what I would expect from theory... but it was interesting to observe how critical the proper setting of the amplitude of the screen modulating signal was.

For this transmitter, operating with this tube, the optimum ratio of screen modulating signal to plate modulating signal was 1:5 (screen modulating signal ~ 20% of plate modulating signal).

If I reduced the screen modulating signal significantly below 20% of the plate modulating signal, the  modulation became very distorted, and the modulation index was very low.

Again, this is what I would expect from theory.

I also tried pure screen modulation... but I was not able to reduce the un-modulated plate current below 120 mA... so with pure screen modulation, there was (as expected) severe flat-topping on the modulated output on positive peaks.

The reason I couldn't reduce the un-modulated plate current is that the grid of the DX-20 output tube is self-biased by the grid drive signal. If I reduce the grid drive, the grid bias also drops... leading to excessive plate current, and generally bad operating conditions for the output tube.

Next step:

I will build a fixed bias voltage supply for the grid, so that I can adjust the grid drive and/or this bias voltage to reduce the plate current to 50% of its normal value... and therefore I will be able to screen modulate the tube.

Best regards
Stu   

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
W6REF

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:35:22 AM »

Hi Stu,

I meant to thank you earlier for this post. I didn't realize you were modulating the screen and plate separately using two transformers and two channels from the audio amp....what a clever way to determine the optimum screen-to-plate ratio!

I'd like to know your results of pure screen modulation after you configure the fixed-bias grid supply. I might try it on my DX-40.

Thanks and regards,

Bob
AB2EZ

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:23 AM »

Bob

You're welcome! As you can see, I enjoy these experiments... and I enjoy corresponding with others on the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches. I always learn something from these interactions.

Yesterday was the first time it occurred to me that adjusting the plate current, without changing the screen bias voltage or the plate voltage, in a self-biased Class C amplifier, is a non-trivial thing to do.

Right now, having thought about this further last night, I think there are a couple of simple alternatives for lowering the plate current without changing the screen bias voltage.

I'm going to try placing a 48 volt Zener diode (actually four 12 volt 5 watt Zener diodes in series) between the cathode of the 6DQ6A and ground.  That will provide 48 volts of positive cathode bias, independent of the plate current, and should allow me do adjust the plate current by adjusting grid drive (since the grid will no longer be entirely self biased). This is, of course, the grid biasing method used in most grounded grid r.f. linear amplifiers. Doing this will reduce the peak r.f. power output of the DX-20 by around 20% (the same effect as lowering the B+ by 10%)... but for these experiments, that's not an issue.

Yesterday was the first time I actually tried using separate modulating signals to modulate the plate voltage and the screen voltage independently. Steve's (WB3HUZ) suggestion's for things to try motivated me to actually set up the experiment and to make measurements / do on-air tests.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
AB2EZ

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 10:49:19 AM »

Here is the schematic of the approach I am using to allow me to separately modulate the screen and the plate of the 6DQ6A in my DX-20.

Note that the screen voltage divider I'm using here is not exactly the same as the screen voltage divider I described to Bob in response to his post: "Plate modulating a DX-40". I like this design better because the voltage division ratio at low frequencies (where the reactance of the capacitors is not negligible) will remain as 2:1.

Stu

* DX-20 modulation.jpg (45.44 KB, 960x720 - viewed 615 times.)

AB2EZ

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »

Well... I was able to get my DX-20 to screen modulate (see the circuit in my prior post, above)!

The solution:

I used a 2:1 toroid transformer (a single Bytemark SB-1020-43 core, with 4 turns on the primary and 2 turns on the secondary) to turn my 50 ohm antenna load into a 200 ohm load facing toward the DX-20. This higher value of load resistance, after re-adjusting the existing pi network, results in a lower rf impedance on the output of the 6DQ6A.  [Somewhat non-intuitive, but that's how the math comes out  Smiley]

As a result, I ended up with enough headroom to modulate the plate current by modulating the screen voltage (with no modulation of the plate voltage). Finding the right setting of the loading control, and the associated setting of the tuning capacitor, gave me the impedance (looking into the pi network) that I wanted (~1250 ohms)... and produced excellent linearity... i.e.,  a nice correspondence between the audio waveform applied to the audio amplifier, and the output of the off air monitor... with close to 100% modulation. However, finding the right setting is critical with this approach. I had the input audio sine wave and the output of the off air monitor on a dual trace scope... and I carefully adjusted the loading and the tuning to get the largest output that I could from the off-air monitor... while avoiding distortion on modulation peaks.

Update (added 1/22/08): The above approach works, but there is a remaining issue. By increasing the antenna load resistance to 200 ohms (using the 2:1 r.f. toroidal transformer), and after adjusting the loading capacitor and the tuning capacitor of the existing pi network, I ended up with my desired impedance (1250 ohms) looking into the pi network at the fundamental frequency... but, I also ended up reducing the ratio of: the impedance looking into the pi network at the fundamental frequency (e.g., 3.8 MHz) vs. the impedance looking into the pi network at harmonics of the fundamental frequency.

Again, my target was 1250 ohms of impedance looking into the pi network at 3.8 MHz. With the existing pi-network inductor (roughly 12.5 uH), I ended up with the following (for a 200 ohm resistive antenna load)

Tuning capacitance: 184 pF (no problem with the existing DX-20 tuning capacitor on 80 meters)
Loading capacitance: 418 pF (ditto for the existing DX-20 loading capacitor)

However, the impedance looking into the pi network at the frequency of the second harmonic (7.6 MHz) ... which is approximately equal to the impedance of the tuning capacitor at 7.6 MHz... is roughly 113 ohms. This is 9% of the impedance looking into the pi network at the fundamental frequency.

Therefore:

Since the Class C current waveform contains lots of harmonics, this produces at least one problem. The harmonics in the plate current waveform develop a larger than desired voltage across the impedance of the pi network... which uses up voltage headroom. It takes some careful tweaking of the tuning and loading controls (while watching the output of my off air monitor on a scope) to find the combination that produces good modulation linearity, a high modulation index, and maximum peak output power.

Playing around with a pi network design program... it appeared that by using a 450 ohm antenna load on the DX-20, and the existing pi network, I could produce in the plate load on the tube that I am looking for (1250 ohms)... while obtaining a somewhat larger ratio of: the impedance looking into the pi network at the fundamental frequency vs. the impedance looking into the pi network at the harmonics of the fundamental frequency. So... I changed the rf transformer from 2:1 to 3:1 to convert my 50 ohm antenna feed to a 450 ohm load on the DX-20.  This was helpful... but it still takes some careful tweaking of the loading and tuning capacitors (while watching the output of my off air monitor output on a scope) to obtain good modulation linearity, a high modulation index, and to maximize the peak output power.

A much better way (if you don't mind changing the component values in the pi network) to reduce the impedance of the pi network by a factor of 2 at the fundamental frequency, while still maintaining a reasonably high ratio of the impedance looking into the tank circuit at the fundamental frequency vs. the harmonics of the fundamental frequency, would be as follows:

a) Keep the antenna load resistance at 50 ohms (i.e., don't use the 2:1 or 3:1 rf transformer)

b) Reduce the inductance of the tank coil by roughly a factor of 2 (e.g., use the 40 meter tap on the tank circuit when you are working on 80 meters)

c) Increase the tuning capacitance by roughly a factor of 2. Add extra fixed tuning capacitance, if necessary.

d) Use the loading control to load the transmitter to 1/2 of the output power it would normally produce (e.g., 20 watts for a DX-20). Add extra fixed loading capacitance, if necessary.

Using this approach, you would have more tuning capacitance at resonance (about twice as much), and therefore a 2x (roughly) lower impedance looking into the pi network at the second harmonic frequency.

Using the pi network design program, you would have (for example):

L = 6 uH

Tuning capacitance = 342 uF

Loading capacitance = 1500 uF

Q= 12

The impedance of the tuning capacitor at 7.6 MHz would be 61 ohms, i.e. 5% of the impedance looking into the pi network at 3.8 MHz.

Now the real test: switch between plate/screen modulation (a.k.a. plate modulation) and pure screen modulation on the air... and see if anyone notices.

Best regards
Stu

W6REF

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

Holy Moly Stu,

I admire your perseverance! Can't wait to hear about the A-B comparisons.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015