The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:24:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ready for the COLD ?  (Read 19675 times)
W4EWH

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 11:00:57 AM »

Last night tested the fireplace, now cat-certified.

My brother says that a fireplace is a "net heat loss", because its combustion air is drawn from the heated space. He told me I need a "Heatilator" and outside air to get a net gain.

I, on the other hand, only want to be warm while the power is off. What do you guys think?

73, Bill

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »

Todd, do you realize a modern rice box with modern SS amp will also make AM at amazingly high efficiency levels of AC line power used to RF produced?

Yes, but I choose to ignore it since a.) I don't do SS and b.) your current license grade doesn't permit you to get on HF to demonstrate your above assertion, making it a moot point in this thread.

So...en garde! would've been the better opener, with touché added here.   Tongue

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »

Well it's all the way up to -13 F and sunny.

Saw this on the Pinedale, WY. web site.

"40 Below in Bondurant Temperatures plummeted to frigid temperatures in Sublette County overnight. The Bondurant webcam showed -40 degrees Tuesday morning. Photo by Bondurant webcam. "

* scr-bondocam40belowjan22-08.jpg (29.16 KB, 640x480 - viewed 478 times.)

AMI #20, GACW #786
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 03:03:51 PM »

Ready for the cold?  NOOOOOOOO

But I feel like I live in the topics here in northern VA, where it was 40F this morning.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »

Not sure if other fireplaces in your homes have this but my fireplace has side vents that open up to the outside on either side of the chimney from inside the fireplace to draw outside air into the fireplace.  I find them to be a PITA because they create such turbulence in the fireplace and cause sparks to fly around. Even with baffles on either side of the vents to dampen the in rush of cold air they create a rather unnatural looking fire.  The good thing is if I want to burn a fire out quickly I just open them wide.  Even with these vents they still draw air from inside the house. I hear the boiler cycle on and off more often when using the fireplace even with these vents though they may reduce the cycling.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AF9J
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »

Like I said, we went from cold to snow (we got 8").  I wonder if you easterners are going to get our snow.  BTW, Bob, how's Little Piggy doing in the cold?  Well, gotta run.  Work's done.  The Viker II is still down, but the PW Scout 680, and the VF-1 VFO are humming along nicely - gonna see if they're enough to check into the Collins net tonight.

Ellen - AF9J
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 05:38:42 PM »

Hi Ellen,
We had a snow squal run through here today. Hopefully that's all that you throw at us.  I don't want it.  The squal didn't amount to much.  I see clear sky to the west and once the front moves through I expect the temp to drop drastically.

L. P. is doing OK.  She's holding her own and she's still stubborn as a stump.  I heat the garage yet she stands right in front of it with warm air blowin' in her face when I open the door and yet she won't come in.  I keep her bowls heated so she's around, otherwise they'd freeze and she'd take off.  She meets me from time to time in the driveway when I get home from work.  Though her visits are sporadic I'm glad I see her visit at her own volition.  I'm not sure where she beds down but she must be doing something right and she looks good unlike last spring where I thought she went through hell.  She's rotund, agile and her fur is thick.  I just wonder at times about her feet in the snow and ice.

Like I siad, we went from cold to snow (we got 8").  I wonder if you easterners are going to get our snow.  BTW, Bob, how's Little Piggy doing in the cold?  Well, gotta run.  Work's done.  The Viker II is still down, but the PW Scout 680, and the VF-1 VFO are humming along nicely - gonna see if they're enough to check into the Collins net tonight.

Ellen - AF9J

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AF9J
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »

Cool.  Just give her time Bob.  Tonight & tomorrow, we're supposed to be below zero again.

Ellen - AF9J
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2008, 07:35:34 PM »

We never open the flue, and we take the battery out of the smoke detector.

Saves heat and power at the same time !
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »

Always crack the window nearest to the wood fireplace so you don't burn as much preheated air.

-5 here last nite, that was the worst of it.
k3zrf

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2008, 07:42:47 PM »

We never open the flue, and we take the battery out of the smoke detector.

Where does the smoke go?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WA3VJB
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 07:54:46 PM »

Oh.

I wondered about that.
AF9J
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 07:56:22 PM »

Like I said, we went from cold to snow (we got 8").  I wonder if you easterners are going to get our snow.  BTW, Bob, how's Little Piggy doing in the cold?  Well, gotta run.  Work's done.  The Viker II is still down, but the PW Scout 680, and the VF-1 VFO are humming along nicely - gonna see if they're enough to check into the Collins net tonight.

Ellen - AF9J

I stand corrected.  Tonight's net is the Multi-Elmac.  Hopefully condx. are good enough for me to hear it.

Ellen - AF9J
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »

Saves on cigarettes.

Oh.

I wondered about that.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »

Saves on cigarettes.

Oh.

I wondered about that.

Did he really inhale?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 03:04:36 PM »

Quote from: Steve - WB3HUZ on Yesterday at 07:57:58 PM
Saves on cigarettes.

Quote from: WA3VJB on Yesterday at 07:54:46 PM
Oh.

I wondered about that.

Did he really inhale?

Just look at his eyes.
WA3VJB
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »

Just look at his eyes.

* EyeHaze.jpg (24.13 KB, 100x100 - viewed 388 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015