The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:16:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: single band amp for Top Band - tube/socket/PS considerations.  (Read 16399 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »

Yeah Fred, it depends much on the specifics of the switcher.
Some can be made extremely quiet.
There's an ICOM, iirc, that uses one as an (optional?) internal supply!
The better ones are running up around 500khz or higher. That may seem like a problem, and it can be, but that's really much much easier to filter out than a lower switching freq. And, yes you need shielding and bypassed feedthroughs, LPF, etc... some of the companies sell a "brick" whose sole purpose is to cancel out "nasties" and they're bosting some very low noise levels for critical applications...

Check the Vicor site for some up to date technology.

They're based up in northern Mass, iirc.

But yes, good old iron is reliable, simple and obtainable.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ka3zlr
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2008, 05:47:59 AM »

Hey Derb,

I waz looking through the Zed.L.R. Den of Partz...I founded a 4 1000 it's was a pull never used it...you want it it's yours...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:19 AM »

4-1000A you will want at least 3300 volts to make 1500 watts out.
Really wants over 4 KV
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 03:03:05 PM »

Derb,
        I gotz to hit you back wit yo own wisdom that you hit me with!! Build the biggest maul you possibly can!!

If you think back some years ago you and I were tooling around at the M.D.F.M.A. fester at the howard county fairgrounds. I was talking to you about building a HB rig, something around 150w class with some unusual lashup of tubes. Kind of a "just for the hell of it" thing. You looked back at me and said "what in the hell ya wanna do that fer??"  "You gotta think C.B., build the biggest maul you possibly can" And the next tailgate vender I walked up to had a 4-1000 socket for $20!! The rest is; as they say..............history Grin Grin

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »

I ran a 4-1000A GG for years. Even tried it at 5500 volts once.
You need a real lot of air at 5500 because the monkey is really swinging.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2008, 02:30:26 AM »

How much power you guys think a quad 813 rig would do in am service? I have zero reference material here anymore. Whats the top joltage on a 813, around 2200? That amp will be running offa 220/240 so the fil transformer is good to go.

I went surfin. With 2250 you can get 375 out of a pair in ICAS service. X2 for a set of quads and derate a little bit. That's not a bad munky to swing. If I could find 2 more Gonsets this summer, I could rebuild one to be a 160 monobander or even a 160/75/40 3 bander. Just design and change the tank out for more C.

It occurs to me I may be biting off more than I can chew tryin to build something from scratch again. I've got a window of time now where I dont have any health insurance. Hauling around mauls may not be a good idea for a while. I be on the ala carte medical plan. I pay for everything. I outlived my insurance coverage. Roll Eyes and they cut me off. I'll get Medicare coverage later in the year.

We'll see what happens. I am going to get one more Gonset for sure so Jenny can have hot amplified munky sex with Johnny Gonset when I am out of the shack and they are in the dark. Lips sealed That's the next thing after I finish my current workload. Another gsb 201 mark 2 or 3 to match the EE buddly sent my way. Easy fix on that radio unless the transformer is lunched out due to the 20 amp 'no blow' fuse. I'm hoping the resistor was enough of a fuse when it sizzled like a Bob Evans Breakfast. Why do poeple do such dumb things?

Then 160 time. 

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2008, 04:00:46 AM »

Frank,

5500 is a joltage number that scares me.  Lips sealed

P.S. I didnt get any work done today. One of my meds (Keppra) that was covered by my former insurance is 250 bucks a bottle now. We just cant do that. So I am under a seizure watch for a few days until I stabilize. I got a lot of parts I could be wiring in too. Cry
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 09:29:33 AM »

In AM leanyar service, a pair of 813s are good for 100-150 watts carrier and something around 100% modulation. Plate dissipation becomes the limiting factor. You may be able to get more, with higher voltage and piss beat operation. So a quad should get you near the 300 watt carrier level.

A mutual friend of our has used 813s in plate modulated service with 2500-3000 volts on them with no problems. In leanyar serive, triode connect them and run them at 2500 volts and you are golden.

Following your "build as big a maul as you can" philosophy, I'd go with a pair of 3-500Z with the 2500 volt supply.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »

yeah I gotz to admit that would be a good combo. How much do the pyrex chimneys cost for those? a fair amount as I remember.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 05:24:12 PM »

I think I have some. If you get serious about doing this, let me know.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2008, 01:44:35 AM »

ok will do. I expect the decision will be made for me by whatever I find at the festers this year.

p.s. my doctor was able to set me up with 2 months worth of free samples of Keppra while I try to get on the manufacturers assistance program for po folks. That crap is $235 a bottle. So I am out of the woods on that for now. Gonna get back in the shack and get back to work today.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015