The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:16:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My photography web  (Read 2952 times)
w1vtp

« on: June 19, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »

Some of you might enjoy this web site.  Most of the content is taken using my Canon T90 film format camera.  I think the most recent pictures are pretty good since I stopped scanning in the 4 x 6 prints and went direct from film to digital format.

http://www.alanhbrowne.net/canon.htm

The T90 was only in production for one year.  Shame.  It set the trend for all modern cameras.  I have an extensive set of lens for this camera including a 500 mm telephoto and a 50 mm macro along with the ring flash.  It was one of the first (if not THE first) through the lens exposure flash system using the 300TL flash, of which I have two.

Scroll down near the bottom for the most recent pics.

Yes, there are other formats including the lowly Pentax K1000.  I have a really nice zoom lens for that camera that has a macro setting.  Oh yeah, you will see some Near-Fester pics (in BW) on the Pentax page

http://www.alanhbrowne.net/pentax.htm

Happy viewing.  I'd like to trade ideas on this fun hobby

Al
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:29:37 AM »

Great pic's Al, while I do not have time right now to look at all ( working outside) what I saw were great!  Thanks for sharing.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

Some nice pics there.  I've often thought about purchasing a used T-90.  Very nice camera.

I still have a New F-1 with AE Finder, Motor Drive and a bunch of decent FD glass that I bought in the early 80's after my A-1 was stolen,  but haven't taken any of it out of the Pelican case for a long time.  I probably haven't shot more than 10 rolls of film in the last 15 years.  At one time I had a complete darkroom, Besseler 4x5 with a Zone VI cold light head, archival print washers, etc. but sold all of that in the early 90's when I moved and no longer had the space or the plumbing.  Shot mostly Tri-X and some XP at the time.

Bought a Canon 5D when it first came out, and haven't looked back.  I'm skipping the 5D II and will see what the next generation full frame looks like. 

I occasionally still long for the smell of chemicals and real wet paper :-)   Rarely do any B&W any more either.  The problem with digital, for the amateur at least, is the high price of printers capable of producing a high quality B&W print.  It's an odd conundrum of ink jet printers that most do a miserable job with plain old black and white.  Color is another matter entirely, of course :-)

Grant/NQ5T
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 10:55:28 PM »

Grant

Until I discovered this easy way of getting the film developed and scanned, I had my doubts.  As you indicated, I also have a lot of FD glass and really do not want to relegate them to the dusty corners of storage.

I'm re-learning the strong and weak points of film photography with this experience.  As it is, I just love the feel of the "Tank" (that's the affectionate nickname of the T90) in my hands and besides that, I'm having to really pay attention to all the things that go into a good pic. 

The F1? It was the best pro camera of it's time although the Nikon lovers would dispute that.  It just was TOO bulky to carry around -- especially if you wanted all the features at your disposal.  However, check this out:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/canonf1highspeed/index.htm

One of these monsters would give you 14 frames / sec!

I have and A1 too.

http://www.w1vtp.com/images/my_A1-cp-rs.jpg

This beauty will give me 5 fps for sports stuff, etc (compare that with the T90 of 4.5 fps which aint bad).

Thanks for your kind words.  I'll stick with the T90 for now.  Maybe later on I'll get with DSLR, but if I do, it will probably be a Nikon

Regards, Al

PS:  I never did get with the dark room stuff -- just didn't have the patience for it.  That's why I like this new approach of having someone else do the direct jump from film to the digital pics you see on my web.
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »

Terry

I do hope you will revisit the web site.  I'm open for any helpful discussions -- even on the air if you wish

Thanks, Al
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 08:12:12 AM »

Grant said:
I occasionally still long for the smell of chemicals and real wet paper :-)   Rarely do any B&W any more either.

Ahhhh. It harkens me back to the days of developing miles of Tripan-X. I learned to do developing while in Sr. High. Nothing could beat a "Honeywell" Pentax. I don't know how many spills I took on the sidelands during the football games. If you can't be a athlete, you might as well be an athletic supporter  Wink I only did color once and that was for a Sr. project. I did a time lapse from the top of a hill looking down on the city during Christmas. Lots of colored lights reflecting against a bed of snow.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »

The F1? It was the best pro camera of it's time although the Nikon lovers would dispute that.  It just was TOO bulky to carry around -- especially if you wanted all the features at your disposal.  However, check this out:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/canonf1n/canonf1highspeed/index.htm

One of these monsters would give you 14 frames / sec!

I don't think that 14 fps monster would an easy hand held camera :-)    The New F-1 with Power Winder (which is more than adequate except for sports or other action photography) is what I actually used most of the time and is a relatively light camera.  If you know what you're doing, you don't need the 9-point, 45-point, whatever latest and greatest auto-exposure gizmos to get it done right.  Nice features, but they just tend to compensate for lack of technique (camera or darkroom/Photoshop)  -- like an all auto-tune slopbucket radio that the users haven't a clue about actually using if it involves more than one button push requiring zero brain activity :-)

The Nikon - Canon SLR battle continues without end, too.  Either, at the high end, is hard to beat -- but like the PC on your desk, will be obsolete in a year unless one cares to chuck another $5K out every 18 months or so.  Plus the high cost of good lenses makes switching "systems" an even more substantial financial proposition.

Too many expensive hobbies :-)

w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 08:53:41 PM »

Quote from Grant

"If you know what you're doing, you don't need the 9-point, 45-point, whatever latest and greatest auto-exposure gizmos to get it done right."

I absolutely agree.  Get it right and there is great satisfaction.  Sometime I'd like share some of my disasters with you and you might be able to tell me what I did wrong.

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015