The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:29:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital TV Coupons !  (Read 16107 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »

Once Upon a Time they were keen to peddle a box for every room, each at extra cost.  Same for portability -- they want to peddle service to multiple locations, not have you moving the one box around. That's their business.

Within the confines of my property, I suspect I could use one box, and string the cable around the house to pipe the signal coming out of the box to the room of my choice.  The only inconvenience would be that every  set in every room would receive the same program, but that would also be true with one box moved around.

And why couldn't you simply move the box yourself from room to room?  I have multiple cable outlets for the TV downstairs and the computer here in this room.

Reminds me of the old ploy by the phone company before "deregulation", when non-company attachments were "illegal" and they tried to force you to pay an extra monthly charge for every extension.  I was always able to find enough good Western Electric phones for a  couple of bux each at flea markets and yard sales, to put an extension in any room I wanted.  I simply disconnected the ringer bell, since  ringer current was the way they detected "unauthorised" extensions.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »

Once Upon a Time they were keen to peddle a box for every room, each at extra cost.  Same for portability -- they want to peddle service to multiple locations, not have you moving the one box around. That's their business.

Within the confines of my property, I suspect I could use one box, and string the cable around the house to pipe the signal coming out of the box to the room of my choice.  The only inconvenience would be that every  set in every room would receive the same program, but that would also be true with one box moved around.

And why couldn't you simply move the box yourself from room to room?  I have multiple cable outlets for the TV downstairs and the computer here in this room.

That assumes everyone in the house who wants to watch TV, wants to watch the same program.
With just the wife and I here now, we both have completely different tastes in TV programming. We each have our own "box". Throw a couple of kids into the mix, and with your proposal, you have a "1950 watching TV" scenario. The extra cost of the additional box is well worth the convenience and the continued home happy harmony.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015