The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:41:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two legitamate excuses  (Read 17274 times)
KA1ZGC
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:08:47 PM »

My rotten attitude notwithstanding, I have two legitamate excuses for not firing up tonight:

1. The Junkyard Dawg is crapped out Cry till I feel like fixing it Angry

2. The Patriots are playing their last regular-season game against the Giants tonight.

Reason #2 has sub-items, as well:

a. I'm a Patriots fan living in a Giants household. Shocked

b. I'm a heavy drinker living in a dry household. Tongue

c. I'd really like to watch this game over a few beers, and hoot and holler up a storm in loud, vocal support of the Pats. Kiss

Needless to say, "a" and "b" preclude any hope of "c", so I was pre-emptively handed gas money and politely asked to kindly get the hell out of the house and go watch the game elsewhere.  Grin

Have a blast, folks!

--Thom
Killer Agony One Zipper Got Caught
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 12:14:06 AM »

A heavy drinker in a dry household.......I will pray for you. Go Pats!

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
KA1ZGC
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 01:49:22 AM »

Shocked

Wow.

It doesn't matter who you were rooting for, that was one hell of a ball game!

So the major records have been set, the standings will now reset for post-season football. The schedule is yet to be determined for many teams, but the Patriots have already clinched a first-round bye.

To think I was one of those guys who thought Randy Moss was just another mouthy punk when the Pats traded for him. Jerry Rice is not a man anyone surpasses easily!

The Giants (and their fans) have a lot to be proud of, too: Eli Manning ("The Other White Meat") played one of the best games I've ever seen him play, they totally shut down Maroney (thereby the Pats' run game as a whole) in the first half, and even though they lost by a single field goal, they still scored over thirty points against the Pats.

None of that was easy!

That was almost as fulfilling as watching the Boston Red Sox defeat the New York Yankees after a 3-game deficit in the 2004 American League Championship Series.

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
Oh... sorry, Todd.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »

Giants came to play football!
Would it beautiful if they got another chance....
Eli didn't have the "Deer in the Head Lights face"  last night i was surpirsed.
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 02:45:16 PM »

Probably not..  They'll probably do what the Packers are doing as I write this.  They pulled out Favre by the middle of the 2nd Quarter, when they were ahead 21-3.  Nall (the 2nd or 3rd string QB) is only doing so-so.  The score in the early 3rd Quarter: 24-10.  Green Bay has a first round bye.

Ellen - AF9J
Who marched in high school with the marching band at a Packers game
KA1ZGC
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »

Brett Favre: now there's another one I called completely wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved the guy as long as he's been playing, but last year, every time I saw him on the toob, I would think aloud "y'know Brett, I love ya, but it's time you took a seat and got out of the game before you completely tank", and people in my immediate vicinity would frequently agree with that sentiment.

Then this year happened! Doesn't shame me at all to admit I totally blew that call. Good for him, too. He's too good a QB to just fade away like I thought he would.

Well, it's playoff time! Any bets on who's going to lose to the Patriots this year?  Wink

--Thom
Kleptomaniac Aardvark One Zany Gathering Critter
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

If the Giants had another 8 minutes I think they would have won.

I like the pats team but the owner is a dirt bag. I can't see how anyone in Ct. would root for them.
AF9J
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »

Yep, Holmgren & Co. get to visit Lambeau Field next week.  Hopefully Green Bay won't get too cocky about the game, and wind up losing.

Ellen - AF9J
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:14:55 PM »

GO GIANTS!
KA1ZGC
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »

You got your wish, Ellen!

--Thom
Killer Aircraft One Zeppelin Goes Crash
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »

Yeah!

What a game!  I loved the snowstorm!

Ellen - AF9J
KA1ZGC
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »

Football is always better in the snow.

I went out on the town last night, and everyone was talking about that game. Every time a TV showed a shot of it, someone would look up at the screen and say "Now that's football!".

Not to disagree, but what I really miss are the old Cleveland Browns games ("old" meaning "before some guy named Bill Belichick moved them out of town"). Those were great right around Thanksgiving, because leading up to the game they'd get about three days of rain followed by about two days of snow.

Result: two feet of snow covering three feet of mud. At the end of the game, what wasn't snow was either mud or blood. It was absolute carnage out there, and that's a beautiful thing (hey, I admit it, I'm an American: show me some gratuitous physical violence and I'm a happy guy).

With all the new surfaces and drainage systems these stadiums have in place now, those days are pretty well over; but yesterday's Packers game was probably about as close to those days as we can get now.

On the other hand: no matter how you cut it, that was a great game!

Giants v. Cowboys today. I know where our picture box is going to be tuned!

--Thom
Kilovolts Alter One Zorched Glass Component
ka3zlr
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 11:14:02 AM »

I knew Green bay was gona win..Favre's retiring... Cool
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 02:40:57 PM »

before some guy named Bill Belichick moved them out of town

That would have been Art Model.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »

Wasn't Belichick coaching then? I seem to recall he either came up with the idea, or at least thought it was a good one.

Have I got my wires crossed?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »

Giants and Packers in the snow. Reminds me of watching them play for the big one when I was a kid.  Vince will smile down from heaven. I can remember my Dad yelling at the TV. "Throw the ball Y.A.T."
Dats real football!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »

He may have been but he had nothing to do with the move. He was never a coach in Baltimore. Model was the owner. He's well hated in Cleveland.

Wasn't Belichick coaching then? I seem to recall he either came up with the idea, or at least thought it was a good one.

Have I got my wires crossed?
AF9J
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »

Giants and Packers in the snow. Reminds me of watching them play for the big one when I was a kid.  Vince will smile down from heaven. I can remember my Dad yelling at the TV. "Throw the ball Y.A.T."
Dats real football!

Yeah baby!  Icebowl #2 here we come!  Starting on Thursday, and through next weekend, it's supposed to be C-O-L-D!!! temps around game time are supposed to be ranging anywhere from the teens down into the single digits!!  Yeah!, none of that wimpy dome football!  Ticket prices are going to go through the roof!

I just about flipped, when I found out Dallas lost!  I watched part of the game, and then had to stop to do housework.  The Giants seemed to be fighting just to keep up with the Cowboys.  What a surprise!  You realize of course, that they're going to blame Tony Romo (who, BTW, grew up in Burlington - a town about 20 miles south of where I live), for going on vacation with Jessica Simpson, in the week before the game.

Ellen - AF9J

P.S. - about the rumors of Favre retiring. Yesterday, it was mentioned after the game, that Favre's hometown newspaper, stated the he had told one of their reporters, that he was going to play for Green Bay next year.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »

Any QB looks bad when the line stays home.....I know I'm a Giants fan
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »

You're right Steve. It was Art who threw a tantrum cause he wasn't getting a new stadium before the Tribe got theirs. Fortunately, the NFL said he could leave but had to leave the Name and History in Cleveland. Baltimore entered the league as a new team. BellyCheck had nothin tado with it.

but what I really miss are the old Cleveland Browns games

Ah yes.... the '64 Igloo Bowl against Bart Starr and the Packers !!

NOW THAT"S FOOTBALL !!!
AF9J
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 12:55:07 PM »

Nope - the 1967 NFL Championship at Lambeau Field, was the Ice Bowl.  Temps were -13F at game time  Predicted temps at game time for the Packers/Giants game are supposed to be 12F.  Of course, it'll only get colder as the game goes on.

Ellen - AF9J
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »

The Browns crushed the Colts in the 64 championship game.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »

Yup, 27-0. Johnnie took it on the chin !!

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/clev/browns.html
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »

Nope - the 1967 NFL Championship at Lambeau Field, was the Ice Bowl.

Different game Ellen. But you're right. Bart digging into the frozen end zone with seconds to play was the bomb !!

The '64 game was one of the few losses in that Championship Year. Unfortunately, the last the Browns have won. The drive, the fumble, the interception..... ah the life of a Cleveland Browns fan !
KA1ZGC
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 05:02:13 PM »

The KA1ZGC Patriots vs. the WA1GFZ Giants! Grin

It gets even more interesting than that, Mack.

Read my original post that started this thread, specifically reason 2a!

Guess where I won't be on Super Bowl Sunday!

--Thom
Kleptomaniac Aardvark One Zealously Gathering Critter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015