The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:06:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better AM from a FT-101e  (Read 4136 times)
WA4JK

« on: January 04, 2008, 07:05:46 AM »

Hey guys, I'm reworking my FT-101e and thought I'd ask the question, what could I do to the Ft to improve the AM audio quality? How would I interface a audio chain for the best results? Thanks
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:34:12 AM »

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/ft101.htm

This next one was developed for the FT102 but works with many other models. If ya need the service manual I can send it to ya.

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/602mod.htm
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:10:01 AM »

Hey guys, I'm reworking my FT-101e and thought I'd ask the question, what could I do to the Ft to improve the AM audio quality? How would I interface a audio chain for the best results? Thanks

Good Morning,

Well, first things first,  Number one, Change All the relays to new, Number two, do the filter board and replace all HV Filters. Number three Check and make sure in your unit all the removable boards sit correctly and the contacts are very clean and tight, as well clean and tighten as necessary all contactors and Crystal sockets and Tube sockets ETC...Clean the rig...., Number four, in the Pa section :

There will come a time when the finals in your FT101E will need
 replacing.  These transceivers were originally equipped with 6JS6C
 tubes manufactured by NEC.  This tube's properties are slightly
 different from the 6JS6C tubes available today from American tube
 manufacturers.  By the way, don't bother looking for tubes made by
 NEC.  They got out of the business several years ago.

In order to use the "American" variety 6JS6's, a simple modification
 to the neutralization circuit must be made to the final section of the
 transceiver.

The modification consists of replacing the fixed value 100 pf 1000 VDC
 mica capacitor with a 10 pf 1000 VDC mica capacitor.  This capacitor,
 C125, is in series with the 10 pf variable neutralizing capacitor off
 of the plate circuit.

If this modification has not already been completed on your rig, be
sure to use a mica or silver mica of at least 1000 VDC.  Do not
substitute a different type, because the heat in the final compartment
will change the value, and your tubes will fail prematurely.  Also, be
very careful to keep all leads short and in exactly the same
orientation as the original capacitor.

Before reneutralizing, open the variable neutralizing capacitor all the
way to minimum engagement and follow the neutralizing instructions in
the manual.  While dipping the plate, remember to adjust the
neutralizing capacitor for equal value meter reading peaks (IC
position) on both sides of the dip when tuning the "Plate" control.

This may be already done in your unit but check just in case.....and check Neutralization for specs.....must be done...

Next, Do the Trons method for the Mod it does work very well, as for your audio chain, use a good isolation transformer and feed your audio chain in at Mic level, use this section from nu9n's web site as your guide, http://www.nu9n.com/tx.html , it works...

Do not run this rig at maximum Yaam, Tune for maximum and reduce carrier to a sufficient signal and add a little loading for a nice upward movement in signal.

Then have a Blast with it..it's a gud rig for Yaam...

This is what i always did with mine...it worked vely well...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:56:58 AM »

Hello
The tips from ZLR and links provided by Buddly will make a very nice sounding FT101. I got rid of mine coz of the inaccuracies of the analog dial and having to tune the tube final then tuning the linear. By the time I was finished with zero beating and tuning the QSO was over or the group increased in size. If you don't mind the few extra steps, you'll have a superb sounding rig. You can see the components on the boards...........hi
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »

seconded on what ZLR says.  I put mine into service without checking it over (Frank did the mods for me) and now I'm having relay troubles. ( I presume) Key down, everything OK, key up, keydown again and no plate current. Needs a looksee. I need to familiarize myself with the rig anyways. I started getting a small bite off the mic too. All telling me to hit it and get busy.

I'll start after I get the ground system hooked up inside to both benches and soldered together.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:47:31 AM »

If you are going to run line level audio into the 101, you need to rewire the phone patch input. In its stock configuration this input is the same or parallels the mic input on the front panel. Generally, line level audio will over drive the first audio or mic amp stage. So, it will be necessary to rewire the phone patch input to the high side of the mic gain potentiometer. Now the line level audio will be feeding the second stage through the mic gain pot and no distortion will occur.

The AM carrier is offset from the dial by about 800 Hz, IIRC. This is easy remedied by engaging the Clarifier and dial up the proper offset. Once you do this, when you zero-beat on receive, you'll be zero-beat on transmit. Of course, you'll want to turn off the clarifier when on sideband.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015