The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Crackle (Wrinkle) Powder Coating - Who/Where?  (Read 4134 times)
W1UJR
« on: January 01, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »

New Years Greetings to all,

I could really use your help here.
I've got a very special transmitter project which came into my care a few months back.
W1FPZ TX Project --> http://www.w1ujr.net/gross_tx_restoration.htm

Electrically the unit is very nice, but I need to have the sheet metal refinished. The transmitter was originally painted with an aerosol spray paint, but time has taken its toll, and it has not adhered well to the metal.

At this point, I think that my best option is to get all of the sheet metal refinished in a black wrinkle powder coat finish. I say powder coat as this has been  a real project to pull apart, taking me the better part of 3 days do so and document, so I don't it again for a very long time.

The problem is that I live in Maine, and the folks I've spoken with here consider it too small of a job to run, they are geared more for production than custom "one offs".

What I am looking for is shop which will do this correctly, will pay attention to detail and does not mind low volume work. I also have a panel which I need to be fabricated out of metal, the original was wood, which I understand can not be powder coated.

My primary concern is that the job be done correctly, the metal parts are not readily replaceable as this was a home-brew job, and match as closely as possible the old black wrinkle finish. Cost is secondary to getting the job done well.

I know that I can probably find some shop on line, but I don't want to take a chance.
Anyone have any direct experience with a local metal fabrication and finishing facility?
I don't mind shipping nationally, but would like to get this done by the next AWA event.

Thanks!

73 Bruce W1UJR
www.w1ujr.com

W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »

Precision Powder Coating does great work. Nothing will exactly recreate the original, but once you do an entire cabinet, it takes a very critical eye to detect it. And, of course, it don't make the etherwaves come out any less. I got quotes of $75 for special work (wrinkle outside, flat inside).

See his work at: www.powdercoatingit.com

He is setup for small, one off projects (most of his work is custom auto and motorcycle coating), and accepts credit card. He is located in CT. I've been meaning to send him a small case to see how well it comes out - let me know if you are considering him, and I'll send that case of mine down.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »

Bruce:

In the past, I have used the black wrinkle paint from Antique Electronic Supply and elsewhere with excellent results. The trick to a proper wrinkle is the application of radiant heat after spraying the paint on. The mid-summer sun here in the west has done it for me. You can also use a heat lamp.

Surface prep is vital to insuring paint sticks. I have always wiped down surfaces with a paper towel soaked in acetone right before spraying.

Grab some wrinkle paint and try the process out on some scrap material. I've patched 1930s wrinkled equipment like a 5-T Sky Buddy and you can't tell it's been repaired at all.

How about a black wrinkle finish on a car?
W4RON
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »

I haven't personally used it but a good friend that makes repro parts
for and restores WW2 Enigma code machines swears that Harley Davidson
black wrinkle spray paint is by far the best around. It's only available at
Harley Davidson dealers.

If you're interested, here's a link to his Enigma parts web page.
http://www.enigma-replica.com/enigmaparts.html 

73, Ron

W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 03:33:56 PM »

Thanks guys, helpful.

Dave, appreciate the referral.

Over the holidays I picked up a new project, so I may take one for the team and send it off to your contact.
Its a simple project compared to the home-brew job I mentioned earlier.

A 1937 Utah Jr transmitter, and I need to the two chassis refinished.
A satin black finish would be ideal.

Project here -> http://www.w1ujr.net/bruces_bench.htm

Tnx again fellas.

73 Bruce W1UJR
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »

I like the pictures Bruce. Especially this one:

It reminds me of the bed I use when I stay at Vortex Joe's place Wink
Let me know if I can help you. I have a pretty good stack 19" un-molested black crinkle panels. Most have the meter holes cut in already.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015