The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:12:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gates/Electro Engineering Filter Choke  (Read 3097 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« on: January 06, 2008, 12:06:26 AM »

Huh Question. I have a Gates BC-1T filter choke labeled as L1. KW XMTR.  Reactor Type AC-10458-E manufactored for Gates by Electro Engineering Works. Anyone have the specs on this? Must be swinging. Reply direct to passagerecording@yahoo.com, 73 and thanks a bunch!

P.S. Retirement in March, vow getting that ticket back by summer. Meet you on 3550!  Mike (ex-K9ZSL).
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:34:12 PM »

It's swinging, but the inductance is kind of anaemic.  Something like 5/16 Hy (my computer is in the house and my Gates manual is out in the shack).  It works well on AM with the constant load of the PA.  I modified mine to include CW capability, employing a switching arrangement that places the mod reactor in series with the power supply choke in CW mode, which maintains critical inductance under key-up condx.  I had to change the main filter cap from that pitiful stock 6 or 8 mfd to 25 mfd, and reduce the bleeder resistor to 50k in order to get reasonable dynamic regulation on CW.

The mod reactor in mine talked back so loudly that I replaced it with a 1 cubic foot potted reactor 50 Hy@ 670 mills, that runs totally silent.  To make it fit, I moved the filter reactor to where the old mod  reactor was, removed the 8008 filament xfmr (use plug-in solid state replacement rectifiers), and the liberated space was just enough to shoe-horn in the bigger mod reactor.  I drilled and tapped new mounting holes in  the floor of  the  cabinet.  Not as good as the original tapped bushings that Gates used to hold the components in place, but good enough, since if I ever move the transmitter around I will remove the heavy iron and tubes in any case.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
John K5PRO

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 02:36:30 PM »

Like Basler Electri, Aydin Energy Systems, & Raytheon, Electro did BIG iron too. They didn't have catalog per se, but did have a generic brochure of capabilities. I have one somewhere in my files.
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

My gates bc1-g has L-1 listed as a 10 hy choke for the bias supply....  4 inch x 4 inch.....enclosed winding...(no picture)
The HV power supply choke is listed as L-45  5/15 HY swinger.  (Pictures attached)

* MVC-197F.JPG (68.64 KB, 640x480 - viewed 468 times.)

* MVC-196F.JPG (59.96 KB, 640x480 - viewed 487 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015