The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:25:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM-11392 - Petition At the FCC - Bandwidth  (Read 25228 times)
ka3zlr
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2007, 06:35:31 PM »

I don't understand - "HF with it's unstable nature"

It think it's geared to the unpredictability of HF propagation, Pete. He's basically saying these things are better used on VHF/UHF where line of sight propagation is more stable and predictable.

Thank You Bud,..(hows the family by the way and merry xmas om)

I was attempting a pre-statement writing on how my response is going to be formulated, and i wanted to start here before i go any further, knowing if i'm wrong here i need to re think my writing..

I see, especially after reading Thoms postings i believe in what he's saying and the majority of members have enough backround to follow through with good responses.

Believe it or not i'm actually considering this may be like Thom says...The chance to set real precedence, Like Mack says it's in their eye, Now we just need to wait and see what transpires...

Interesting...Way to go Mark......well done OM...

WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »

Excellent thread underway on QRZ.com, which includes participation by the partitioner, Mark N5RFX.

RM-11392 Thread
Mark may have whacked the winlinkers (automated email from the internet) since they've mobilized filling in Opposition.

The petition proposes to close a loophole in Part 97 which allows emissions not appropriate for the RTTY/Data subbands.  Stations under automatic control have taken advantage of the loophole.  This petition looks at the current division between wide bandwidth and narrow bandwidth emissions and suggests a return to narrow bandwidth  emissions (1500 Hz or less) in the RTTY/Data subbands benefiting all licensees.

Please read the petition and make comments to the FCC.

Mark N5RFX
ka3zlr
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2007, 08:45:34 PM »

Well I am somewhat in disbelief here.

I have read a considerable amount of comments, what is this emergency connectivity situation these folks are describing...have we forgotten our J-38's and our basic skills...Wow...and Homeland security...some of those read like the little boy's book report  in that christmas story..."Everybody needs a Red Rider"...LOL...

And I'm killing myself on writing a correct paragraph...with correct spelling...Sheez....Wow...
AF9J
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2007, 09:00:55 PM »

EMCOMM is basically viewed as a standard response by those who belong to the Church of Winlink.  Whenever they cite Winlink's "valuable contributions" during emergencies, and people tell them to show text from actual examples of emergencies Winlink has been used in, the Winlink supporters become strangely silent.  No examples are provided.  Even those who were involved with Hurricane Katrina, say that Winlink wasn't really used for EMCOMMs then. 

Also, Winlink (and Pactor in general), really isn't a real-time keyboard to keyboard (as in let's have a QSO) communications protocol.  So, you really wouldn't use it for "saving life and limb" real time traffic.  It would be used more for health and welfare e-mail traffic.  But, because it's semi-encrypted (you can't read Winlink stuff, unless you have the $1200 SCS modem),some EMCOMM people like it (in spite of the fact that encryption is illegal in amateur radio).

BTW, John, W3JN made some very good comments in the RM-11392 thread on qrz.com.

Ellen - AF9J
ka3zlr
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »

EMCOMM is basically viewed as a standard response by those who belong to the Church of Winlink.  Whenever they cite Winlink's "valuable contributions" during emergencies, and people tell them to show text from actual examples of emergencies Winlink has been used in, the Winlink supporters become strangely silent.  No examples are provided.  Even those who were involved with Hurricane Katrina, say that Winlink wasn't really used for EMCOMMs then. 

Also, Winlink (and Pactor in general), really isn't a real-time keyboard to keyboard (as in let's have a QSO) communications protocol.  So, you really wouldn't use it for "saving life and limb" real time traffic.  It would be used more for health and welfare e-mail traffic.  But, because it's semi-encrypted (you can't read Winlink stuff, unless you have the $1200 SCS modem),some EMCOMM people like it (in spite of the fact that encryption is illegal in amateur radio).

BTW, John, W3JN made some very good comments in the RM-11392 thread on qrz.com.

Ellen - AF9J

Hi Ellen how are you dear,

Happy holidays to you and your family, Ya know I am thinking it is best if at this point Zed.L.R. let's them hang themselves, some of those comments have got to be kidding.."No Other mode can make it"...oh really...Ya know i realize I have been out of commission for a little while..and maybe I'm not so up to date with software...but in a real emergency situation.. life or death...I'm not gona be looking for a laptop...and a modem...I think i'm just a little surprised Dear...I wasn't expecting some of those responses...I'll be ok...LOL...sheez...
AF9J
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »

Yep Jack,

The Winlinkers got pretty hysterical with their comments.   Most of the comments are derivatives of Bonnie Crystal, KQ6XA's comments.  In my experience in dealing with Bonnie, she has a tendency to resort to hyperbole.  

Mack, somebody started another qrz.com thread, where they posted some comments Steve Waterman, K4CJX (Mr. Winlink himself) made today in the Yahoo Winlink EMCOMM group, with regards to turning off the busy frequency detetction protocols iin the SCS modem.  He basically said "tough luck".  Here's the thread if anybody is interested in it:

http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=d18af9397e490b0ee9c3963b5b0e0509;act=ST;f=7;t=178998

I really don't know of anything I myself could add in a bandwidth related vein to the FCC comments, since my beefs with Winlink, are more interference related.

Ellen - AF9J
ka3zlr
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2007, 06:02:21 AM »

Big Mack, Ellen, Thank You for catching me up to date, Alot,

I'm at a loss for words here, this is "Sad" truly...betting the whole roll on a computer program....causing this whole insipid commotion....all this Grief...

This much I do know, any corporation, the life blood, participants members, i will "Cherish"  the day when a change of command falls upon them....and it will in time...Lord help us if there is a Major catastrophe ever to happen....

Where's my LapTop my modem..Ohh we have no electricity..."Where do I plug in"...does anybody remember that "Code" stuff....

I'm out.

WA3VJB
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »

About 660 Comments, Reply Comments, Motions and Errata so far.
Hit the link, hit "Search for Filed Comments," and fill in RM-11392.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/ecfs/

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »

Half appear to be form letters and the other half are from the same 4-5 people (Sampson, Miller, McVey, Crystal, etc).  Tongue   It has turned into QRZ.com.
WA3VJB
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »

Yeah, disappointing quality level.

Apparently the WinLinkers were stimulated to action because they'll lose their home if the FCC says they don't belong in those segements.

It's a separate question then, as to where they would go.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »

Yeah, disappointing quality level.

Apparently the WinLinkers were stimulated to action because they'll lose their home if the FCC says they don't belong in those segements.

It's a separate question then, as to where they would go.

And, then you go and comment in a very logical fashion. Grin
You've thrown the entire comment string off.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015