The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:16:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop computer memory upgrade...flickering video...help please! Gurus??  (Read 3213 times)
VE7 Kilohertz

« on: December 27, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »

Hi guys,

Upgrading my 2.4GHZ Epox 4G4A motherboard memory from 2x256MB to 1.5GB.  I had 2 x 256M PC2700 (333MHz) installed in Bank 0 and 1. Per manual, moved the 256MB to bank 2/3 and put the 1GB into bank 0. Well, with 1GB and 256MB installed, all is fine, system recognizes 1.25G and stable. When I put in the last 256MB module, the video is all scrambled on the screen. I tried flipping the 256's around to make sure I don't have a bad one and they are both fine. Setup BIOS for fail safe, slowed the CAS, RAS etc as much as possible, still no joy. It just doesn't like 1.5GB. The 1G module is double sided, which the manual says is fine, the 256M are both single sided which the manual says is fine also.
The system recognizes and selects the correct bus speed, 333MHz for PC2700. The 2 x 256 are PC2700 rated and the new 1G is 400 rated but that is just it's max rating.

Any thoughts, suggestions??

Trying to get my computer hot rodded before I get going with SDR.

Thanks

Paul

Women. Ya can't live with them......pass the beer nuts!
VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:00:20 PM »

Thanks Mack,

I have the manual right here. I built this PC a few years ago and have 1/2G Ram in it but wanted to upgrade. I read the manual and everything looks okay. I'll try the BIOS update and hopefully won't open any more worm cans. :-)  My board has the Intel 82845G chipset. If you buy a board without the processor, I have an extra P4 2.4GHz processor I would trade for Huh

Thanks

Paul

VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 10:43:23 PM »

Hey Mack,

Where did you find the BIOS upgrade? I am on the Epox site and found 5/13/2003 BIOS but I can't download. I get an HTTP error.  Do you have a direct link to the BIOS?

Cheers

Paul

VE7 Kilohertz

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:48:08 PM »

Hi Mack,

Found the file on a web site called AOA Files. Found out a lot on this site as well. It's all about overclocking, which I don't care about, but there is lots of info on RAM issues. Let you know how I make out.

Re: SDR...found all my SMT stuff today, fine solder, anti static mat, mag lamp, fine tips for the Metcal etc. Just need the kits now. :-)

Just sitting here now watching the flames swirl around in my cool modern wood stove with secondary air tubes in it. Sure makes some neat flames. Sureal with the flames dancing in the middle of the air with no contact with the wood. Dad gave me a magnetic surface thermometer for Christmas and I put it on the stack. Nice to see the stack temps and relate that to air intake and burn efficiency.

Paul

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:51:12 PM »

We are considering wood heat here, with liquid propane approaching $3/gallon.  We have plenty of timber on the property to be self-sufficient in wood.  The problem is that cutting, splitting and hauling the wood, and chimney maintenance would be like taking on an additional job to the full-time groundskeeper/house maintenance-restoration position I took (keeping this place from falling apart) when I retired from my teaching job.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015