The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:13:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The BBBBBBlizard - First Big One of the Year  (Read 5031 times)
W1UJR
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »

Blizzard, well, not quite, but pretty darn close!
We've got something like 8" already here on the coast, and from the WX reports the best is yet to come!

On top of all that, I've had about 3 hours sleep over the last 2 days, and missed the first weekend of the Bruce Kelly 1929 Contest.
Seems that I have an abscessed tooth that is throbbing like a slopbucket to a big lineaaar .... and the painkiller makes me throw up.
Oh, if only humans were as simple as radios. I'd yank that tooth, solder in another one, and be good to go!

On the bright side, I've had plenty of chances to watch TV at 2:35 in the morning.
So far I've learned how to buy houses for no money down, how to become a millionaire, discovered that we all have 20-30 lbs of fecal matter stuck to our insides, and learned the secrets of blemish free, clear skin.  Grin

Some how I missed out on Art Bell's program, nothing like like hearing endless stories of space aliens, missing time, and Area 51 when you are in pain.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 12:17:11 PM »

We're supposed to get off easy.... only about 8-10 inches...
Looks like you might get 18" plus....

The absessed tooth... no fun.... I just did that 10 days ago.....
Had some antibiotics...but NO pain killers
After 4 days with no dentists available due to the holiday...

Finally put the cotton ball soaked with water... dipped in baking soda and salt on there... brings the swelling out to the gum.... formas a pimple that can be popped , drains the puss out..and.... oh boy!!! instant relief!!!

Nice gross topic eh!!??

Hava a happy snow day!

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:27:36 PM »

There is no reason why one cant' go the an Emergency Room for dental pain treatment... they'll probably perscribe antibiotics also......  klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »

Dental pain treatment in a pinch - Bourbon use to work for me.

Weather in NJ is sunny - temp's in the upper 40's - wind gusts up to about 45 MPH - my treeless lot now has lots of leaves again - they blow in and never blow out

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 02:38:38 PM »

Weather in NJ is sunny - temp's in the upper 40's

Show-off!

--Thom
Kilimanjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
W1UJR
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions fellows.

Well I thought very seriously about the ER, but thankfully my dentist returned my phone call, on a Sunday!
Script for Amoxicillin no problem, the Hydrocodone is what makes me sick.
So no pain meds, but discovered if I keep the tooth wet the pain is minimized.
Means drinking a lot of water, and you know what that means. :-)

I like the cotton ball/baking soda/salt approach, if I did not have a dental appt tomorrow at 0830, that's what I'd be doing.
Wonder where you heard of that, sounds like a nice trick to have on hand.
You're right, its the pressure in the socket that is the worse thing, feels like its extracting the tooth.

3:00PM, not much traffic on the road, looks like most folks are staying home ad hunkering down.
Still snowing here, most schools are closed, parking bans everywhere, even some businesses are closed.
Wish I had just taken the day off to play radio.
First real snowfall of the year, and its a doosey!

WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 03:35:31 PM »

50+ MPH Winds and snow,Great it took down the 80 meter dipole didn't touch any else yet,and its only going to get worse by Tuesday morning.Have a 70 mile run to work at 4:00 AM tomorrow ,can't wait.I LOVE NEW YORK?Huh? Joe WB2FQD

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:58:46 PM »

Oh good ole dental pain.  Been there and done that.  I lost 3 teeth about a year and a half or so ago. 2 were infected and abscessed. Two were wisdom teeth so I was glad to see them go but I lost one premolar due to periodontal disease.    It was not pleasant to say the least.  Getting someone to relieve the pain in short order was more annoying than the pain.  Probably what was even more annoying was getting the implant to replace the premolar. Hopefully you don't have periodontal.  I'm looking at 2 more surgeries in the next month to fix pockets in the gums. 

Glad you have all the snow and crap up there. I tuned up the snow blower yesterday in anticipation of this overblown storm for CT.  Glad I didn't have to deal with it. 

Stay warm Bruce and be careful of Ibuprofen.  Supposedly it's not good for the liver if taken over a long period of time.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »

Oh good ole dental pain.  Been there and done that.  I lost 3 teeth about a year and a half or so ago. 2 were infected and abscessed. Two were wisdom teeth so I was glad to see them go but I lost one premolar due to periodontal disease.    It was not pleasant to say the least.  Getting someone to relieve the pain in short order was more annoying than the pain.  Probably what was even more annoying was getting the implant to replace the premolar. Hopefully you don't have periodontal.  I'm looking at 2 more surgeries in the next month to fix pockets in the gums. 

Glad you have all the snow and crap up there. I tuned up the snow blower yesterday in anticipation of this overblown storm for CT.  Glad I didn't have to deal with it. 

Stay warm Bruce and be careful of Ibuprofen.  Supposedly it's not good for the liver if taken over a long period of time.

Thanks Bob, appreciate the well wishes. Sorry to hear about your own tooth challange.
The tooth in question was due to have the filling replaced next week, guess that is now a moot point, looks like a root canal at this point.
Warm is good, had the wood-stove cranking over the weekend, was nearly 80 degrees in the living room, vs the 12 degrees outside, boy that felt good!

About 3AM this morning I thought the predicted storm was yet another weather forecast gone awry, by 5AM I was worried, when I left the house at 7:30 I knew it was going to be a rough day.
Right now, snow has picked up, predicted power failures this evening, makes me glad I have a good old wood-stove!
AF9J
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 04:30:46 PM »

Oh well,

It looks like our snow has arrived in your neck of the woods.  Yep, it's no fun, that's for sure.  We're supposed to have an Alberta Clipper come through tomrrow & early Wednesday.

73, I'm outta here!
Ellen - AF9J

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:39:20 PM »

Bruce,
Got an email from a friend up near Freeport.  He basically said the same thing as you.  Got plenty of snow and more to come.  Hopefully you won't get ice. 

We got some ice here in central CT, about an 1/8" but it was something to laugh at though it made driving a little hair raising for those who ignore the warnings about slick roads.  By 5AM the highway dept had things under control when I hit the road.  I can't say the same for parts north of us but where I was I didn't give it a second thought even with a pickup truck.

Glad to hear that you won't have to have a tooth extracted.  I had the wisdom teeth and the premolar remove all in one shot.  I was out for a couple days.  They gave me pain killers but I didn't use them. Stuck with Ibuprofen. In a day or two I had so much relief I basically stopped taking the over the counter stuff. The bad thing was, where the premolar was the jaw bone became infected and that required surgery to clean things up.  The abscessed wisdom tooth came out cleanly.  No surgery required there. So hopefully you'll be good to go in short order.  I can sympathize with you with dental pain.  It's not a pleasant experience.  Hopefully your storm won't prevent you from getting your quick relief.

Take care and stay warm.
B

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015