The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:45:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NY Drivers  (Read 4305 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: December 03, 2007, 10:31:47 PM »

My ride out to eastern LI today I found NY drivers actually quite nice and well talented. I was surprised and didn't flip anyone off the whole trip. Then as a came back into CT. I ran into a number of "jerk offs with fancy cars" trying to drive their gaymw's as if they were indy drivers.  Eastern LI is actually nice. I guess the taxes have to be high to keep the rif raf out.
n2bc
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »

Take a spin into Manhattan.....   

I was behind a NYPD patrol car stopped for a light.  A second patrol car entered the intersection from the right, stopped in the middle of the intersection to chat with NYPD #1.

The light turned green for #1, me and the cabbie behind me - chit-chat continued.   The cabbie behind me went nuts on his horn.  NYPD #1 turned back, looked me straight in the eye and flipped me the bird.  Then completed his QSO with #2.

I suppose I could have been looking down the barrel of a .38

I'll stay out here in Podunk where a traffic jam is 2 cars waiting for a light - and many fewer birdies.

73,  Bill N2BC
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:25:18 AM »

that was a PBA meeting you were stuck behind. never interrupt a PBA meeting. if you piss them off expect more than a .38 in you  face because most guys carry a 9MM or .40 now, and NYSP carry .45's. rules for driving in NYC: green light- proceed with caution, the less skilled drivers are moving. yellow light- accelerate briskly. red light- floor that mofo or you gonna hit that bus... i miss the good old days when cars had metal bumpers and you could bump and bang on taxis that got in the way.
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 07:02:16 AM »

Frank they were taking pity on you in that weener of a car you were driving.

Chris, thanks for the "interpretation" of NY road rules.

I was working at Dow Jones about 15 years ago there near Battery Park, catching a cab daily.  It was just like from the start of the movie "Stripes," where Bill Murray the cab driver gets in a wreck. I took my cue from that movie.

Cab driver runs a red light, hits a Corvette coming in from the right, both drivers leap out and head to the right for the discussion, I head out the left rear door and merge with pedestrians, as the little robot voice on the back deck speaker tells me to have a nice day.

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:08:09 AM »

LOL

Before I was married and I had some money, I visited Italy and Greece.

I saw this fender-bender in a Rome intersection- Both very POed drivers got out of their cars and a crowd gathered around. A few minutes later, a cop car stopped at the commotion and a couple of their black booted Carabinieri equipped with shotguns stepped towards the melee.

The crowd parted like the Red Sea...
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »

After having driven any many locations overseas, driving in any US city is a dream by comparison.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:00:45 AM »

Well I live up here by M Ahole so that is my reference the worst drivers in this country.

Crap box gets returned today. Banged my head every time I got into it.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 04:42:22 PM »

I've driven across many states but I never understood the driving at high speed in the breakdown rule they have in Massachusetts.  To me that's just down right nuts especially with the nutjobs that tool down the breakdown lane at 65 or whatever speed when everyone else is stopped or creeping along. And it bugs me when these idiots from MA come into CT and think the same rule applies here.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:33:42 AM »

now that mind set is common in nothern Ct. but you have to be talking on the phone when you do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015