The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:08:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM thread on QRZ.com  (Read 7662 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: November 20, 2007, 04:47:57 PM »

A thread on the topic of AM was recently started on QRZ.com.  So far, as of this moment (2145 GMT 20 Nov), there have been NO hate letters or otherwise anti-AM messages posted. 

http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3984c5f6d941702ef67e69f68da0384d;act=ST;f=7;t=175222;st=0;&#entry1144560

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 05:28:11 PM »

over/under on how long it takes to devolve into a winlink and/or CW debate:  I say 1.2 days or 10 more posts

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 07:52:55 PM »

Plus, a few swats at LIBS and neo-cons.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
AF9J
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:06:19 AM »

Well,

It's started already. I just got a crabby e-mail from a Marconi netter about my comment on the QRZ AM thread, that many of us go down to 3705-3725 to get away from QRM, such as from the Marconi net, when it fires up within 2 kc of an AM QSO.  I was told not to comment on what was rumor and innuendo.  I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that those guys have tendancy to not listen before they fire up their net. After all, if I remember right, within the past few days, they gave Don, QRM on 160.  Oh well. Remind me to remain mute.

Ellen - AF9J
W1IA

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:21:14 AM »

Well,

It's started already. I just got a crabby e-mail from a Marconi netter about my comment on the QRZ AM thread, that many of us go down to 3705-3725 to get away from QRM, such as from the Marconi net, when it fires up within 2 kc of an AM QSO.  I was told not to comment on what was rumor and innuendo.  I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that those guys have tendancy to not listen before they fire up their net. After all, if I remember right, within the past few days, they gave Don, QRM on 160.  Oh well. Remind me to remain mute.

Ellen - AF9J

Consider the source Ellen...just ignore the morons. Funny...I tear them up all the time with comments and the haven't sent me a love letter?

They have a desire to antagonize AM'ers:

an·tag·o·nize      /ænˈtægəˌnaɪz/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[an-tag-uh-nahyz] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, -nized, -niz·ing.
–verb (used with object) 1. to make hostile or unfriendly; make an enemy or antagonist of: His speech antagonized many voters. 
2. to act in opposition to; oppose. 
–verb (used without object) 3. Rare. to act antagonistically. 

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:49:25 AM »

Very True Bent,

I also told my friend Tom KC9ECI, who is a QRZ.com moderator, and the thread originator about it, and he said the same thing.  He said it's QRM, and ignore it.  I deleted the e-mail as soon as I got it.  I figured that responding to it wouldn't change the guy's mindset - "waahhh, you're picking on the Marconi Net!"  I've read of too many complaints about the Macaroni Net, to believe that they are "no problem."  Like I said in the thread, I'm Tom's agent provacatuer for AM.  Tom's dabbled in AM, but when he found out I was getting into AM, he started asking me questions about it.  He knows about AMfone.net, I also turned him onto Steve's site.  I'm desparately trying to get the Viker II up and running for some Turkey Day holiday weekend fun.  I just hope my Cluster Headaches aren't starting to fire up.  I had a Cluster Headache Attack last night at 1 AM, that woke me up out of a sound sleep.  I hope it doesn't mean I'm going into another cycle/episode (bunch of headaches), or I'll wind up burned out, and stumbling around like a zombie. 

Ellen - AF9J
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »

I thought maybe the Marconi net had moved their operations to 160, although it looks like they made it a point to be a PITA on that band too, setting up shop 2 kHz away from an ongoing AM QSO and then complaining about the QRM.

Maybe they have decided to QSY to 160 when the propagation goes long on 75.  But there are plenty of wide open clear spots in the band above 1900.  Why did they "just happen" to choose 1987?  I think they have an agenda.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »

I think they have an agenda.

I'm shocked!

* shocked.jpg (18.97 KB, 320x238 - viewed 286 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »

a couple slop buckets opened up a couple KHz above the gray hair net last night. I watched the spectrum display as strappers covered them with modulation. I just don't understand why someone would enjoy being strapped when there is so much wide open spectrum.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »

I'm shocked!

shocked to discover there's a 75 SSB net in the AM Window!"

"Here's your participation certificate..."

*snatch* "Oh, thank you very much."   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 11:05:16 AM »

I think they have an agenda.

I'm shocked!

Great film, Steve. One of my all-time favorites!

Insp. Renault: "Rick, I heard you on 75M last night talking with Frank/AHE, and that new solid-state audio driver really sounds spectacular!"

Rick: "Yeah, beats the hell out of that push-pull class AB triode-connected 6146 driver I was using before".

Best 73,

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 11:25:53 AM »

Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, the slopbucket walks into mine.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »

We'll always have Deerfield. We didn't have, we lost it until the Hosstraders retired. We got it back in May.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »

Vive le AM!

Arrest the usual QRM'ing slopbucket suspects!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »

Boy, these Marconiacs take this stuff personally, don't they?  They obviously have a lot of their personality invested in their  sacrosanct net.    Anyone who can get that riled over an innocent comment, obviously has issues.    Ignore and strap, is my watchword!

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »

over/under on how long it takes to devolve into a winlink and/or CW debate:  I say 1.2 days or 10 more posts

Oddly enough, this devolved into a Macaroni P&M even quicker. Who'da thunk it?

That's probably the longest thread I've seen on QRZ that didn't get swallowed up by modal purists and Handbook-thumpers.

Maybe there's hope yet?

--Thom
Kilimanjaro Africa One Zulu Goat Cheese
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 11:03:54 PM »

Well,

Ellen - AF9J

Don't worry about it Ellen. I'm guessing its the same (name withheld) fathead who sent me a QSL card accusing me of broadcasting.  Roll Eyes Also telling me I should find a different hobby. Grin. I had a good laugh.

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »

Six days and that thread hasn't devolved into bickering and namecalling.  I'm pleasantly surprised. Grin

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015