The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 11:09:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: it followed me home from PA  (Read 10942 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: November 24, 2007, 06:51:50 PM »

rca 6K2 console for 40 bucks. covers 160, 80/75, and 40. looks better than the picture, the lights make it look funky. After the station gets done, this will be the hi hi FB OM armchair copy reciever. I've restored prolly a dozen of these over the years.

* DSCN0131web.jpg (118.9 KB, 1024x1373 - viewed 545 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:08:46 PM »

Nice!
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 07:11:52 PM »

Followed you home huh?

I wonder what kind of bait you dangle.....

I don't have nice deals like that tagging along with me on my way home!

Neat piece of talking furniture.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 07:20:26 PM »

actually I missed it. da wifey found it for me AND gave me the money to buy it.

Eat yer hearts out, suckas.... Cool Grin Cheesy  I got da best wife EVAR.
K7NCR
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 07:42:59 PM »

actually I missed it. da wifey found it for me AND gave me the money to buy it.

Eat yer hearts out, suckas.... Cool Grin Cheesy  I got da best wife EVAR.

I here ya on the educated YL,,, I work most Saturdays, but have my wife trained to call me anytime she finds a piece of radio gear at flea markets, garage sales, etc. I've aquired several interesting items that way.
Glad you are back on the air, Derb. I am close to reaching a point where I can fire up the Apache. Just got a sweet little HO-10 that works FB, so I can moniter my signal. Maybe I'll see ya "on the air"!
73!!
Norm K7NCR
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 07:48:20 PM »

Hey Derb-O- Matic

I have a 5T, the tombstone model. Nice radio. I want to get the 7 toob model

Carl/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:03:15 PM »

yeah not much to it, but they work darn nice when redone. Sounds good too.

I like this era's RCA's and General Electrics, from about 1934 to 1940. Also the black dial Zeniths of course, but everyone wants them, so I dont. GE made a console with quad 6F6's in it and a 15" speaker. Best sounding radio I've ever heard. Cant remember the model number. The cab was HUGE.

Everyone forgets that GE adverted in QST for years, talking about how their consumer radios had 2 tuned rf stages and the like.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »

YUP Tim,
I do remember your handiwork at that Balimore radio store. And the nice deal you gave me on a pair of brand new 810's. They are still in my tube caddy waiting to be used for something BIG.
I'll have to post a pic of a nice RCA with a pair of 6L6's that will shake the windows.
Paid a high price fer it coz it was so nicely restored and plays its heart out. The oldies sound good on it, but not today's music. The acoustics were designed for the music of the 40's and 50's and the type of bass, not the electric bass or the RAP (crap) bass.
And I know you remember Steve's G.E. console. What a sound that has!!! Better than the Zenith I have, with the Wave Magnet.
Your ability to restore and make things beautiful will return to you.
Phred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 05:12:46 PM »

Steve's is a Zenith shutter dial. I redid it for him.....what, 15 years ago maybe? I cant remember. The neato thing about that era Zeniths is that a lot of the bypass and coupling caps survive. I have no idea why.

My ability is ok as long as I pay attention to my left hand and stop working when it tells me it's had enough. Makes the work very slow compared to what I used to do.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 05:20:57 PM »

Heres the  Zenith Shutter dial I restored about 25 years.

Still have it and love it

* ZenithLD.JPG (106.24 KB, 720x1080 - viewed 481 times.)

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »

I've got this here Zenith in the restoration que.
Hopefully I'll get to it this winter... yea...

* frontof.jpg (465.46 KB, 1472x1104 - viewed 464 times.)

* frontofradio.jpg (200.15 KB, 1472x1104 - viewed 470 times.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 07:55:52 PM »

OK Tim,
I thought it  was a GE. The HUZ will have to verify that.
Here's my prize radio. The speaker is enclosed in a cardboard whatever and it gives the radio a boxy sound in the bass.
It's nicesh!!
Fred

* RCA Front.jpg (19.35 KB, 320x240 - viewed 487 times.)

* RCA back.jpg (28.26 KB, 320x426 - viewed 464 times.)

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 07:43:14 AM »

It's a Zenith. Whatever happened to that beautiful RCA console Fred? 811K, IIRC?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 08:00:55 AM »

Ed, watch the tone switches on that unit. they tend to break easy. I dont know if repros are out there for them or not.

I'm gonna put the RCA in the house when restored. no sense in keeping it in the garage. Best thing about it: no dial string. direct 2 speed friction tuner. Clean, apply small amount of lithium grease and done forever.

nothing I hate more than restringing dial cords.  Angry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »

Nice radio, Derb. That's the same model my grandfather had, hauled off by me after his passing and currently in storage. The plan is to restore it and give it to my brother. I'll be interested to see how you come out with it. All the knobs are there and the dial plastic looks decent, so plenty to work with.

G, that sure is a sweet console. Nothing beats a wooden cabinet, large speaker, and push/pull output for ol' tyme radio. Christmas music will sound fab.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »

Derb,

I think the switches may be kaput already.  I got this for the cost of hauling it out of someones barn.  externally it is in sad shape.  Looks like somone used the top as a work bench.  The innards look ok.  I think the wood body is a veneer laminate, so I don't know how much repair I can do there.  Though I will settle to make it look clean and be electrically functional if I have too.

Are those knobs supposed to look like that or are they broken too?? they feel like there were some spokes or something on them at one time... can't tell.  I've tried to find some photos of the same thing on the 'net but no joy...

Got any good sources of parts like the knobs and pointer?? AES?? 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K3ZS

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 10:16:10 AM »

Google "old radio parts" brings up a bunch of small companies that have knobs, etc.   Also www.radiodaze.com and of course www.tubesandmore.com.
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »

Hi Derb and all,

Great find, unfortunately the cab of the Philco I found in Detroit wouldn't fit in the trunk of the car so I had to settle for the chassis alone. Oh well, great RX with motorized PB tuning and the only one I ever saw with AFC for the AM BCB. It having several SW bands I picked up a coil of wire for an over tree branch antenna and took it camping at Interlachen before it found a new home in New Jersey.

Now if I remember right I met you at the store in Sparrow Point, not Baltimore proper. The whole place was like walking back in time, even the dimly lit tech shop with bits scattered about and the smell of old time radio.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 10:29:33 PM »

Another FB Shutter Dial owned by a most famous but yet unnamed AMer. A 15 tube model, IIRC.

* shutterdial.jpg (63.29 KB, 277x400 - viewed 421 times.)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:24 PM »

The whole place was like walking back in time, even the dimly lit tech shop with bits scattered about and the smell of old time radio.

yeah. sometimes you dont know what you got to do was special. Every once in a while I'd even get a paycheck.  Wink
Golden Age Radio was just one of those things. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. I often wonder what happened to LaMaur, the cabinet guy. He was living down at the local mission, walked by the store one day, expressed an interest, and Sam put him to work and showed him the basics of wood stuff. He got to be so good at it he could restore anything. I am a hack at wood. I know how, but I dont like it. the RCA was meant for me to find, so I'll be nice to it after the AM station is done. Someone sprayed poly on it as usual. BLARGH.

never invest time or money on wood until your radio plays at least 48 hours on teh bench with no problems.

Steve, I assume thats VJB's raydio.

I never thought I'd ever be well enough to work on gear again. Feels pretty good.

I like www.tubedepot.com at the moment.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 11:17:37 PM »

Golden Age was the shiznitz! Just the smell of the place was awesome. It was located in the Curtis Bay section of Baltimore.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Baltimore,+MD&ie=UTF8&ll=39.222978,-76.586595&spn=0.020413,0.038753&z=15&om=1

The whole place was like walking back in time, even the dimly lit tech shop with bits scattered about and the smell of old time radio.

yeah. sometimes you dont know what you got to do was special. Every once in a while I'd even get a paycheck.  Wink
Golden Age Radio was just one of those things. The whole was greater than the sum of it's parts. I often wonder what happened to LaMaur, the cabinet guy. He was living down at the local mission, walked by the store one day, expressed an interest, and Sam put him to work and showed him the basics of wood stuff. He got to be so good at it he could restore anything. I am a hack at wood. I know how, but I dont like it. the RCA was meant for me to find, so I'll be nice to it after the AM station is done. Someone sprayed poly on it as usual. BLARGH.

never invest time or money on wood until your radio plays at least 48 hours on teh bench with no problems.

Steve, I assume thats VJB's raydio.

I never thought I'd ever be well enough to work on gear again. Feels pretty good.

I like www.tubedepot.com at the moment.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 06:44:31 AM »

got on barefeets last night and checked in with Dave ZRF JTD DUQ. Every one said i sounded good. Work continues. Most of yesterday was spent getting wife squared away. I'll get more radio stuff done today.
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 08:46:04 AM »

Don,
This is the filter question in the latest ARRL General Class license manual.

Q: explain the function of a 2.4KHz filter.

A) A small component invented by Americans, copied by the Japanese and manufactured in China for obsolete, non-digital, Japanese manufactured, wide-band HiFi SSB rigs of the 1980's.

B) An Illegal component that needs to be replaced with a 2.1KHz filter as a means of stimulating sales of offshore-manufactured electronic components.

C) A necessary component that will provide for conformance of AM rigs to "Occupied Bandwidth" instead of "Necessary Bandwidth"

D) All of the above or None of the above.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »

>snip<

>snip<

Just consider it to be good "occupational therapy"!! It just might be what you need to make a full recovery. Something that you enjoy and gives you the desire to push harder. I'm glad to hear this !!
just go at it at your own pace and comfort level.

The Slab bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

I am having a ball. I REALLY like this amp. I think I'll be getting some more this hamfest season. No one is "collecting them" so they are dirt cheap. Not only did you guys get me back on the air, you got me back inside radios.

I remember that Al Parker sold his GSB-201 because he had to turn the amp off to change bands and for a dx'er thats poison. I dont care a whit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015