The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:45:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 AM is great  (Read 8971 times)
w2gez
« on: November 15, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »

AM stations have been popping up all over 160 meters from 1.880 on up.   No matter what your antenna, try to pop on the band every now and then and send a message loud and clear to the IARU and ARRL, 160 AM ROCKS and is alot of fun.   The numbers are rising.   Where else can you hear so many former broadcast transmitters and modified table top radios for receivers than the good old 160 radio telephone band?  Mike W2GEZ   Shocked
W2JBL

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:56:40 PM »

happens every year about this time. it's called wintertime conditions on 160. and for God's sake can we spread out a bit more this year? how about 1895, 1930, 1945, and 1985 instead of all piling on 1885 and buzzarding away...
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:01:07 PM »

Or the 1885 and 1881 that I was hearing about 20 mins ago, SHEEZ
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 12:59:18 AM »

all that room on 160 and you cotton pickin' AMer's set up a mere 4KC away from each other? that don't make much sense to me but i'm just another cotton pickin' AM'er. last weekend they spread out like that too- 1885 and 1890. that was a mess! it's a step in the right direction but just too darn close. there's tons of room above about 1930 but when i suggest going up there many balk at the idea saying their rigs won't tune that part of the band. then there's the crystal controlled set who will be on 1885 forever, often the same guys who don't have  push to talk... self excited Electron Coupled oscillators and relay controlled push to talk were the wave of the future in 30's QST's and it seems still are here in 2007!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 09:23:20 AM »

happens every year about this time. it's called wintertime conditions on 160. and for God's sake can we spread out a bit more this year? how about 1895, 1930, 1945, and 1985 instead of all piling on 1885 and buzzarding away...

Ah, yes the buzzarding............................ After you make your transmission, you have enough time to eat dinner, hit the can, get laid, and take a good power nap before it comes back around to you!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
On a good night you might get 2 whole turns at the mike!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 10:02:45 AM »

Slab said:
Ah, yes the buzzarding............................ After you make your transmission, you have enough time to eat dinner, hit the can, get laid, and take a good power nap before it comes back around to you!! 
On a good night you might get 2 whole turns at the mike!!

And the problem with that is......... Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:25:15 PM »

I'll be too old and feeble minded before my turn comes around again Wink

w5omr

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:26:01 PM »

I'll be too old and feeble minded before my turn comes around again Wink

Then, AM ain't for you.

Transmission -are- 5 mins (or however long you want, as long as you ID) on AM.

this is HAM radio... not 2m CB FM.

Buzzard transmissions are the -heart- of Round-table ragchews.  Everyone gets a turn.
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »

The 4AM EST 3885kc group, a.k.a. "The Breakfast Club" makes it a point to time their transmissions on the 10min mark.

Takes careful thought and the correct pace to make the transmission fit that 10 min slot just right.

W2JBL

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »

when i try to interest new hams in AM the #1 cause of lack of interest in the mode is the endless blabbering old buzzard transmissions. once during a 160 meter QSO i actually got in my car and went into town, picked up extra beer, stopped by Mcdonald's for a sack of cheesebugers and got home before it was my turn...and there were only four guys in the QSO! many people (myself included) only have an hour or two a week to get on the air, and that's one of a few reasons i object to the buzzarding disease. hams got PTT dialed in by the mid 30's- get with it guys, it's not 1929 anymore.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »

Chris:
when i try to interest new hams in AM the #1 cause of lack of interest in the mode is the endless blabbering old buzzard transmissions. once during a 160 meter QSO i actually got in my car and went into town, picked up extra beer, stopped by Mcdonald's for a sack of cheesebugers and got home before it was my turn...and there were only four guys in the QSO! many people (myself included) only have an hour or two a week to get on the air, and that's one of a few reasons i object to the buzzarding disease. hams got PTT dialed in by the mid 30's- get with it guys, it's not 1929 anymore.

Well, you know what they say, "If you can't stand the heat....."

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 09:41:29 PM »

... start a new QSO on another frequency.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 09:53:46 PM »

Buzzard transmissions are the -heart- of Round-table ragchews.  Everyone gets a turn.

Except EVERYONE always forgets who to turn it to.

I don't get it.  You wouldn't talk at someone for 10 minutes in person without coming up for breath, why do it on the radio?

However Steve said it best.  Ya don't like it, start yer own QSO  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 10:01:25 PM »

... start a new QSO on another frequency.

Datz rite!! all of my rigs, including the 4X1 rig are set up for rapid fire break in operation. Some of us do understand how relays work and how to hook them up!!

I miss the rapid fire break in sessions on 3.885 on friday and saturday nights!! They werent for the thin skinned or faint at heart, but they were fun!! Old buzzard transmissions are fine when its only a few people in the group. But if the group starts to get too large its time to go break in or splinter off into another qso. 10 people in the group, each making a 20 minute old buzzard monologue can get a little ridiculous sometimes.

Old buzzarding is fine when its a small group or 1 on 1, but break in is much better suited for larger groups. Sometimes you have to feel out the qso and do the "when in Rome" thing.
I stopped taking notes during a qso to keep myself from rambling on forever.

And like John said, half of the people in the old buzzard roundtable cant even keep the rotation correct! I just love it when they say "I'm rotationally challenged tonight" Geeeezzzeee!

Break in operation is also a good incentive to building a good station and putting out a real signal.

The Slab Bacon

w2gez
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 11:01:31 PM »

Hay, if you can get a beer, get layed and get to read a book between transmissions more power to you.  Radio active !!!   Love it or leave it, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ham radio rocks, have fun ! Tongue
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 01:26:54 PM »

One of the big challenges for my AM operations is the length of transmissions because before my turn comes around somebody has figured out that I am unoccupied during waking hours and pulled me off in another direction.   Between the XYL, the two kids, telephone calls and knocks on the door it can be close to impossible.   Sometimes I start a QSO, a couple people join in,  but I am gone before it comes back around.  Best,  Ed
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »

I usually listen for hours so when I fire up the transmitter I want a good long turn.....And I hope everyone comes back from getting lucky with a big smile.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 12:18:27 PM »

I speak up when i have something to say, rather that blab for the sake of hearing my own voice.
if a qso is break-in there is more of a chance i'll jump into the qso, Im usually wandering around the shack, doing laundry, playing around with the computer, answering the phone...etc
nothing is worse that having it turned over to you in a roundtable and you have nothing to say, or are in the other room doing something.
relays are cheap these days and dont take a genius to hook up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015