The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:52:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbe  (Read 7657 times)
timmcgraw
« on: November 06, 2007, 05:34:49 PM »

Hi I'm new to AM and would like some info on net times and freq's on 75meters and 40 meters , may be some feed back on my rig settings.
tnx TIM
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »

I have some of your albums Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
timmcgraw
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »

Sorry I'm the unlucky Tim , The one with out gud looking Fath !
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »

Howdy Tim,
  Welcome aboard! From the opening page of AMfone, click on the button for the AM Window. Under "Stuff" there is a listing of common frequencies and a section on nets.

Hope to work you sometime..........Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:08:50 PM »

Thes'll get yew goin
3885  evening, night , morning
7290 morning , afternoon

and maybee

29.000 whenever its open
50.400 whenever its open

What? Me worry?
timmcgraw
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:05:41 PM »

tnx to all for the help and info.
tonight was a bad night to check into 3.885. tried but conditions were bad. will try another night. still would like to get feed back on my rig set up, btw what's the best rice box to run AM, TS 850 or FT 990 ?
I have both.
Tnx TIM N8YI     
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:27:40 PM »

Hi Tim, Welcome! I don't know anything about your rigs but I do know you'll want to run about one quarter of the available output power for your carrier. If the rig is rated at 100 watts than 25 watts (give or take) will be the right carrier setting if you want to modulate it properly.

I don't know your location but if your within 1000 miles of Detroit listen to 3.880 on Sunday mornings (8 AM) for the DX 60 net or the same frequency on Wednesday evenings (8 PM) for the Mighty Elmac net. Net control is Mike/N8ECR. Hope to hear you on!

Mike
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:46:25 PM »

tnx to all for the help and info.
tonight was a bad night to check into 3.885. tried but conditions were bad. will try another night. still would like to get feed back on my rig set up, btw what's the best rice box to run AM, TS 850 or FT 990 ?
I have both.
Tnx TIM N8YI     

Heard a few 850's on the air... not bad...

On either one, run no more than 20 watts carrier (even if the manual says 40 or 50!!!!.... very important).... set by turning the "power" control to MAX, and "carrier level" to the 20 watts....
If you only have one power control, then just set your carrier level with that....

Don't use the processor, turn it off......

then, jump in and have fun!

welcome aboard

(Oh, and congrats on the new callsign! I looked you up earlier this evening, and it was W8BTM  !!  )

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:03:18 AM »

I have an FT990.  It's OK on AM, but the ALC is  always on, so watch your mic setting.    It automatically puts out about 30W in AM  mode. Turning the power down doesn't change anything, since the ALC is always in circuit, but it's useful, if you drive an amp.   The rig is decent on AM, but no great shakes.   On the other hand, it has a great AM receiver.  Great audio, and decent bandwidth in  the standard AM filter position (filter out).  The 2.4 Khz position is useful during crowded conditions, but it really kills the highs.   

I think you're going to want to acquire a real  AM rig.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
ve6pg

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:18:09 AM »

...20 watts on 3885 might turn u off am...lots of stuff down lower...3700-3740, lots on 160 as well...tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »

VE6PG (another Tim) is right, Tim.  There's quite a bit of AM from 3740 down to 3700, as well as below 3700.  Look between 3650 and 3700 at various times of the day and early evening.  Don't feel stuck at the so-called AM window at or about 3885.  Try 160 too from 1880 on up during early morning hours, and evenings.  I worked New Mexico this morning from Western New York at 0630 on 1885.  And it's probably a good idea to try to find an old vintage AM rig, such as a Viking II, DX-100, Valliant, etc.

Enjoy AM!

73, de K2VHerb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 10:09:19 AM »

I'll echo the sentiments of 'PG Tim and 'VH Herb. The upper part of 75m can be really tough for AM on a good night, even with a strong signal. Running low power there during these times is a recipe for frustration and disappointment (this from someone who ran 100 watts there years ago and was considered 'pissweak' and often lost in the noise). Daytime, early evening, or late evening/early morning can provide some great conditions, there, though. Local stuff until the band goes long, then long haul later. Heard a guy from Dallas last weekend around midnight running a Viking with 100 watts, coming into VT pretty well.

There's a good Canadian contingent on 3725 most afternoons into evening, sometimes a few US interlopers like myself join in. Wink  The 'What's For Dinner' crew hangs around on 3733 until 6:15PM eastern when they turn the frequency over to a SSB net north of the border. Others can be found on 3710, 3715, 3720, and 3725 depending on conditions. European AMers favor 3705, and there's some activity in the Extra portion below 3700 as well. 160, 40 - even 20 and above when conditions allow.

We don't do a lot of  the 'net' thing per say, more relaxed, free-flow conversations, round table or break in depending on the group size. The only things to remember with the ricebox rig are to tune it up as described by others here, and know its limitations so you won't get frustrated. The days of the 'tube gear only' snobbery are all but gone, we welcome anyone with an interest in AM. More and more of the new rigs can sound pretty good on AM.

Get your feet wet, then move up to something with more power. The old gear is great since it's more 'hands on' and available at reasonable prices beyond ebay. Plenty of guys around who are into the Class E solid state homebrew rigs or the Flex radio too, if tubes aren't your thing.

Welcome to the world of AM. A great bunch of folks, for sure.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 04:04:14 PM »

Tim,
Don't forget the antenna.  Height is a good thing on these bands.  The higher the better.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015