The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:36:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for somebody close-in to do on-the air tests  (Read 2161 times)
AF9J
« on: November 03, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »

Hi Everybody,

As i mentioned in another thread, I did the dirty deed - put a 6146B final in my Scout 680.  It seems to load up OK, and PLate current is behaving itself.  Also, unlike last night, the gird current on the meter was OK.  At the same time I put in the 6146B, I also pulled the metal, 6V6 tube used for the crystal oscillator portion of the the Scout's circuit, and put in a 6V6G (a glass envelope one), that I've had for the past 18 years or so, that saw a little bit of duty in a Fender Princeton II guitar amp I had about 17 years ago. 

I checked into the Midwest Classic Net this morning, and net control Rob, WA9ZTY told me I sounded broken up (although a relay was able to copy me).  I did go back and check modulation, and silly me, I had too much mic gain (even monitoring my signal with the reciever gain turned way down [I really need to make use of the free O-scope I got from my neighbor 2 weeks ago], I could hear it break up).  So, I adjusted the maic gain to the point where breakup disappeared.  Rob and I have always had problems hearing each other.  By the time he takes general "no traffic" check-ins (typically after 8:30 AM), propogation is working against us (I'm in Greenfield [a western Milwaukee County suburb], and Rob is in Marshall [west of Madison]), since we're beyond ground wave for each other.  I want to make sure that excessive mic gain was the problem, and that there isn't something else going on.  The Scout 680 has NO varicap for adjusting neutralization.  So, I want to make sure the 6146B isn't giving my baby the fits, like this tube has done in so many other older rigs that used 6146/6146As.  So, is there anybody who could help me run an on-the air test of my Scout?  Say within 40 or 50 miles during the day, and 60 or 70 miles at night.  It would have to be on 3885, since I still have to work on the VFO (although, if needs be, I can just tune VFO off freq. during receiving portions of the QSO, making other freqs. doable in a pinch).

Ellen - AF9J
K9ACT
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:22:39 PM »

I would be happy to but you are probably too far unless you have solved your antenna problem.

Try Greg, N9ODY in Racine.  He is a regular on the Noon Time Forum and would be delighted to help.  His email does not seem to be listed in QRZ so if you send me an email, I will give you his phone number.

Jack.... k9act@schmidling.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015