The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:14:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mounting IF transformers  (Read 5987 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: November 06, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »

Does somebody make mounting plates for the ubiquitous K-tran IF transformers or is there some easy way to mount these?

I think they're called K-tran style -- the  IF transformers you see in abundance in miniature tube equipment.  They mount with a spring clip that reaches up from under the chassis on two sides of the transformer and grabs on to some triangular holes in the sides of the can.  On manufactured chassis there are two slots for the terminals and two more slots at right angles for the spring clip. 

It's all rather tight.   My first attempt to drill and file my way to success ended badly.   But I vaguely recall little mounting plates sort of like the ones you see for twist lock can caps but for these things.   Am I imagining these?

Jon, K6EK
Dan N3SMF
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »

Your correct..There was mounting hardware for the mini If cans that fit into a hole the size of a octal socket. These were sometimes supplied  with NOS replacement cans. Where to find them I couldn't tell you unless you run across some NOS cans.. I think Meissner supplied them.  Once,  I had simply cut the old IF can cut outs off a scrapped chassis and mounted them to the project chassis.. I used a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.   
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:18:52 PM »

At least I wasn't imagining the little plates.   Finding one might be another matter. 

I came up with the same idea -- cut up a chassis.   If I had a complete junker, I'd consider that.   Talk about desperate measures.

Thanks,

Jon
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:22:33 AM »

I think you need to take a ride through the way back machine to find those babies. I can't tell you how many of those clips i stripped off units as a kid.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »

Drill the necessary holes in a piece of PC board, solder the terminals to the board, then cut away the copper from the terminals so it's not shorted out.  Then screw the PC board to the chassis.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015