The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 04:58:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM on Pa QSO Party  (Read 4778 times)
K3ZS

« on: October 13, 2007, 02:40:25 PM »

I thought I was hearing things.  KW3U is running AM on 3898 Khz in the PA QSO party.   He is getting many AM calls.   It sounds friendly and more like the Classic Exchange.   He has had several first time AM contacts.   Sounds like a new twist on what has been described as a rude contest and maybe a way to get some newcomers on AM.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 02:59:27 PM »

Was it deliberate ?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 09:29:58 PM »

Those PA contesters will do anything for a point. Did you see the PA guys using semaphore way way up the frequency spectrum.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 10:03:45 PM »

He has a lot of boatanchors on the shelf. QRZ.com
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 04:15:33 AM »

The PA QRM party seems to have fizzled this year.  I heard quite a few of them in the early evening, but they didn't dominate the band as in years past.  There were plenty of non-qrmtest QSO's in progress.  By 0600 GMT there was very little activity on the band and no qrmtest activity at all.  Maybe it ended at midnight PA time?

The only problem is that the AM activity fizzled as well.  I called several CQ's on 3705 but  no response.  There were a couple of AM qso's in the ghetto, and the boys from NC were on 3720.  But by midnight all the AM activity had shut  down too.  So I just turned off the transmitter and came into the house. 

QRN wasn't all that bad, and it was Saturday night.  Where is all the activity?  Not even much slopbucket after about 11 PM.

Where are all those hoards of newcomers that were supposed to fill the bands with congestion when the  code test was eliminated?

Why all the concern about "bandwidth", when activity seems to have taken a nosedive?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K3ZS

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 09:29:44 AM »

Was it deliberate ?
He was using a DX-60 and said he mainly uses vintage equipment.   After about 10 two-way AM contacts the activity stopped.   One guy had just received his license and a few said it was their first AM qso.
AF9J
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 12:45:03 PM »

The PA QRM party seems to have fizzled this year.  I heard quite a few of them in the early evening, but they didn't dominate the band as in years past.  There were plenty of non-qrmtest QSO's in progress.  By 0600 GMT there was very little activity on the band and no qrmtest activity at all.  Maybe it ended at midnight PA time?

The only problem is that the AM activity fizzled as well.  I called several CQ's on 3705 but  no response.  There were a couple of AM qso's in the ghetto, and the boys from NC were on 3720.  But by midnight all the AM activity had shut  down too.  So I just turned off the transmitter and came into the house. 

QRN wasn't all that bad, and it was Saturday night.  Where is all the activity?  Not even much slopbucket after about 11 PM.

Where are all those hoards of newcomers that were supposed to fill the bands with congestion when the  code test was eliminated?

Why all the concern about "bandwidth", when activity seems to have taken a nosedive?

Most of the PA QP activity seemed to be on CW around 7040, and 3530-3560.  I think they have some rule, where they stop it at 0500z, and restart it at 1300z today.

BTW,I briefly heard a nice, strong, AM signal on 7290 yesterday afternoon (it wasn't Ashtabula Bill).  But, 2 or 3 minutes later it was gone, so (with my VFO issues I'm busy ironing out, making it a hassle to use the Scout on 40) I went to 40 CW instead.

Ellen - AF9J
On a cold, rainy day
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 12:24:21 AM »

Most of the PA QP activity seemed to be on CW around 7040, and 3530-3560.  I think they have some rule, where they stop it at 0500z, and restart it at 1300z today.

That's quite a divergence from years past, when it was mainly SSB, and participants would be particularly rude to non-contesters and as I recall it ran all night.

I'm not sure if they are trying to leave a more positive impression, or if it is simply that participation is way down.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AF9J
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 07:03:58 AM »

I checked the rules.  It stopped at 0500z Saturday night, and then restarted at 1300z, and ended at 2200z Sunday.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015