The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:49:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A look into ham radio  (Read 4147 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: October 09, 2007, 11:17:41 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DKusmesapw&NR=1

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »

I watched/listened to it.  Yeah, I know.  People think we're a bunch of moronic losers for doing Amateur Radio.  Some of the conversations on the video certainly give that impression.  But then again, some them look fine (albeit boring in some cases). Besides, Mr. Rapper ought to talk - most rap is boring and moronic (it often sounds like some take on childhood nursery rhymes; besides have you ever heard some rappers try to sing? - eewww!). 

Ellen - AF9J
Going to check the SX-96 & TS-820 to see if K1MAN's drivel is reaching the midwest 
W1GFH
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 04:05:44 PM »

The rappers message seems to be "I'm an ignorant moron, but hams are fat, boring geeks".
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »

Those were some nice pictures of radios and antennas.  I can't say much for the noise though!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »

I remember a Tonight Show  with Jay Leno some years back, he had Ray Charles as a guest.  He asked Ray what he thought of Rap.  Ray Charles retorted and thought it was nothing but misguided cheap talk with no musical quality. That was back in the 90's in Jay Leno's early career as Tonight Show host.

The "rap" contradicts the pix. This guy is obviously misguided.

I watched/listened to it.  Yeah, I know.  People think we're a bunch of moronic losers for doing Amateur Radio.  Some of the conversations on the video certainly give that impression.  But then again, some them look fine (albeit boring in some cases). Besides, Mr. Rapper ought to talk - most rap is boring and moronic (it often sounds like some take on childhood nursery rhymes; besides have you ever heard some rappers try to sing? - eewww!). 

Ellen - AF9J
Going to check the SX-96 & TS-820 to see if K1MAN's drivel is reaching the midwest 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »

If you turn down the sound...it might come across as a pretty nice promo for ham radio.  Seems like quite a contradiction.  Perhaps the UK amateur that initiated this has some beef with somebody??

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
AF9J
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:20:03 PM »

Yeah, I did see that.  Good point Mack.  It was 5:50 AM, and I was getting ready for work. So I guess, I wasn't paying attention to that.  The guy thinks amateur radio is boring and geeky - I don't think the YLs looked geeky.   A couple of snippets of the QSOs he used, sounded pretty interesting.  Not everybody who does amateur radio is a poster child for hamsexy.com.

Ellen - AF9J 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015