The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:13:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ID this Philips WWII Era receiver  (Read 2764 times)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« on: October 08, 2007, 10:23:26 AM »

I got this at the Howard County, MD hamfest yesterday.  It appears to be a Philips; the tubes are all those funky
Philips "miniwatt" red spray-shield tubes.  All date coded 1942  Wehrmacht. 

This receiver covers 1.5-30 MHz and is extremely interesting in that the tuning and bandspread capacitors are of the piston type.  You can see the variable capacitors (4 sections) in the top view (I removed the cover as I had to unfreeze the mechanism) and in the bottom view (this is the bandspread cap). 

The front panel is in English and is engraved.  I know the Dutch are some of the best English speakers in the world - but would this be normal circa WWII?  Certainly, occupied Holland would have been pressured to make equipment with German lettering.  Then too, the rubes could be WWII old stock and the radio made postwar.

Someone pulled all the tubes, clipped the grid caps off, and shoved the mess in a box.  I'm missing a tube or two... here's the tubes I have:  AZ1 (obviously the rectifier), HTC150 (looks like a VR-150 equivalent), EBF2 4 of them (is this a remote cutoff pentode?), ECH3, EF8, and EF9.  I am missing at least one tube. 

It appears that the small tube socket towards the rear of the RF compartment might be a neon bulb?  Its top cap connection is in parallel with the grid connection of the next tube - most likely the first RF.  So there would be 1 RF, mixer, oscillator... what's the likely placement of these tubes and what's missing?

Here are the pics: 

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »

You have a sickness.

I got this at the Howard County, MD hamfest yesterday.  It appears to be a Philips; the tubes are all those funky
Philips "miniwatt" red spray-shield tubes.  All date coded 1942  Wehrmacht. 
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »

Yea, them there foreign radios, are just like them damned foreign cars, cant never find parts for 'em Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »

You have a sickness.

Indeed  Undecided

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »

And it's about to get close to 100 lbs more severe. I swear the cabinet on that 649 must be 1/8" steel. Carried it out to the staging pile in the garage last night, next stop Deerfield. *puff*puff* #$@!* YAY!  Grin

RE: Phillips receiver....looks like one I saw eons ago referred to by the seller as a 'rainbow dial' radio due to the arc-shaped tuning dial. Apparently it was the term-de-jour. The English markings do seem out of place for a WWII-era receiver with German tubes. OTOH, maybe they were installed later, into a pre-war version of the receiver made for export. Another less-likely possibility is that someone swapped the panel?

Any other date-coded parts in there that look like they've been there from the start? Perhaps it was Lord Haw-Haw's personal receiver?  oooo! EBAY!!  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015