The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:01:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MOPAR pics for The Slab Bacon  (Read 33535 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »

When we build transmittas and such, how many out there have "built" their own tubes, transformas and individual components? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Exactly! So building is a relative term.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2007, 04:07:18 PM »

I completely agree. So let's not get too snooty when someone says they built something and it doesn't agree with OUR definition of building.  Grin
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »

I completely agree. So let's not get too snooty when someone says they built something and it doesn't agree with OUR definition of building.  Grin

OK-FINE! ! ! ! ! !  But I can build pickled eggplant, can you??

And, err, furthermore, that mixed with beer puts out one hell of a signal!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »

Yea Frank and route it over to the carb and I bet it burns real clean.

Building a motor is quality control on the machine job. All about making sure everything fits.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »

welcome to the collective......borg
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2007, 08:34:01 PM »

I followed the thread to see if you had become the owner of the Chevy truck. They are my all time favorite look. I suppose that the fenders were glass. I never saw one of those trucks around here that didn't have gaping holes above the headlights.
I briefly owned a 57 GMC in the early 70's. Wish I had it now. I wasn't financially ready for that type of a project and a garage was a tough commodity in the Pittsburgh city limits. It had spare fenders with it that were in good shape. If I remember, the truck came from westward, explaining the remarkable condition that it was in.

Here is a link to a neat website. This went around a few years ago on one of the reflectors or maybe here..........for you Hemi fans. Check out the engine video

http://www.weberprecision.com/

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2007, 09:09:22 AM »

That little engine is definately way kool!! It sounda absolutely nasty!!
It sounds like a funny car or T/F er.

there is a guy that shows up at a lot of the gas engine shows that I go to that has a tremendous collection of running minature models, include a running miniature Gnome airplane engine (the one where the whole engine spins with the prop). He also has a miniature V8, his is naturally aspirated, but sounds almost as radical. That stuff is really neat.

The Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2007, 09:45:12 AM »

Cheap wheels were always a problem. Ansen Sprint is the wheel I use.
bit buzzardly but light and round.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2007, 12:33:38 PM »

Yup that is the problem. I've seen plenty of wrong ones when I worked in a garage.. bought my Ansens in '75 for my '74 firebird and now on my '78....with the '74 motor
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2007, 01:21:48 PM »

Ansen Sprints.............................geeze I havent heard that name in years!! That brings back memories from days gone by. I remember when the big debate wuz between Ansen Sprints and Cragar S/S's!!
I was always a sucker for chrome, so I was a Cragar guy. I still have a pair of 15 x 8s in my mothers basement, still drilled for the sheet metal screws!! (Mine were even before the uni lug design!!)

The Slab Bacon

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2007, 02:19:30 PM »

They can machine extemely tight tolerances for engine parts but can't make round wheels?

Ansen Sprints.............................geeze I havent heard that name in years!! That brings back memories from days gone by. I remember when the big debate wuz between Ansen Sprints and Cragar S/S's!!
I was always a sucker for chrome, so I was a Cragar guy. I still have a pair of 15 x 8s in my mothers basement, still drilled for the sheet metal screws!! (Mine were even before the uni lug design!!)

The Slab Bacon
WA1GFZ

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:39 AM »

unilugs are bad news to me.
Crager SS's were popular here but I was an Ansen guy, much lighter.
BTW, remember going to the drags as a kid and wondering what percentage of nitro different guys ran. Back in goat roper days I remember different cars had different smells as they went by.
A guy would turn a good time and make a big smell so we would all guess he was runnin 90%
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2007, 01:14:47 PM »

Not sure but I think all NHRA fuel cars get their fuel from a common tank now. No more bringing your own and blending it in the pits. The percentage of nitro was also dropped but the teams just upped the blower drive ratio and made up for the HP loss, times got faster.

Interesting, I know that they used to check it with a hydrometer. NHRA has gone into the fuel selling business. Hmmmm.................

As far as droppin the percentages and going faster goes, isnt this always the way. Put restrictions on things and everybody will bitch about it for a while, then figger a way to work around it. NHRA drops the allowable percentage of nitro, NASCAR reduces the CIDs and reqiures restrictor plates unda the carbs. Good ol' American enginuity comes through every time!! If the boyz wanna go fast, they're gonna go fast!  Knowing how to "bend" the rules a little doesnt hurt either! Grin

the Slab Bacon

WA1GFZ

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »

run rich and leave the carb bolts loose and hope it sucks in a hunk of gasket
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:52 AM »

Negotiations are temporarily off on the truck, I'm going to let the guy 'soak' a while and try him later.

Mack

Booo  Sad Sad

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015