The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:08:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh-Oh, Another wireless internet system?  (Read 5681 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: August 13, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »

I don't know any more about this device...Is 144-148 MHz considered a vacant TV channel? Whatever happened to Part 15?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Disputes FCC's Rejection of Web Devices That Use TV Airwaves

By Kim Hart
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 13, 2007; Page A02

Today Microsoft plans to try to convince regulators that it can connect consumers to high-speed Internet over unused television airwaves without interfering with existing broadcasts.

In a document that it plans to file today with the Federal Communications Commission, Microsoft disputes the agency's recent findings that prototype devices either interfered with TV signals or could not detect them to avoid interference. Microsoft's first prototype was defective, but the firm said another model worked successfully in a demonstration it gave to the FCC last week.

The filing is Microsoft's latest attempt to get FCC commissioners to approve a plan that would let a new generation of portable wireless devices connect to the Internet without relying on existing wireless carriers. The devices in question, which were designed and made by Microsoft, would use vacant TV airwaves, known as white space, to carry Internet service to homes and offices, including those in rural areas. The airwaves will be available when TV broadcasters move to digital signals in early 2009.

The FCC plans to hold a meeting Thursday to discuss testing options for white-space devices.

Microsoft is part of a coalition of high-tech companies, including Intel, Google and Dell, that sees white space as a way to connect such products as digital cameras and music players to the Web. Proponents of the technology argue that TV-spectrum-based Internet service could be less expensive and more accessible than current phone and fiber-optic lines, forcing other high-speed Web service providers to lower their prices.

But the FCC must balance those companies' interests with those of broadcasters, sports leagues, cable operators and phone companies that worry their signals might cross, causing poor reception, static and dropped calls.

Two weeks ago, FCC engineers found that the original prototype caused static on existing broadcasts.

But the new prototype "reliably detected occupied television channels," the company said in the filing it plans to submit today. Microsoft also discussed potential improvements to the device to eliminate interference with wireless microphones, such as those used at sports games and concerts.

Dennis Wharton, spokesman for the National Association of Broadcasters, an opponent of Microsoft's plan, said he is confident the FCC's report is accurate and that Microsoft's "self-serving" agenda may jeopardize "America's access to interference-free television reception."

* whspace.pdf (1113.02 KB - downloaded 201 times.)
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »

Naturally, no.  I'm sure that 2m band users will just LOVE that, if they're really intending to operate on that band.   And I don't just mean the weak signallers (EMEers, SSB & CW ops & vintage 2m AMers).

Ellen - AF9J
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:53:49 PM »

I must be missing something here. What does "vacant TV airwaves" have to do with 2 meters?? Or 6 meters, the FM band, boating comm., railroad comm., or police and fire that still operate in the VHF range.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 02:41:11 PM »

to carry Internet service to homes and offices, including those in rural areas

The same approach used by the BPL hopefuls. Always thinking of those under served far flung communities.

Have you seen any reference to the 144-148 MHz spectrum? I haven't found anything.

Mike
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »

Without knowing more about this proposed system, I am guessing that it scans the VHF spectrum for 'vacant' frequencies, then hops on and uses those 'unused' channels.

My concern is the cited interference to professional wireless mics, which generally operate in the ~170-210 MHz frequency range and the manufacturer's willingness and ability, or not, to notch out portions of the VHF spectrum from its use, like 144-148  or the cited 170-210 MHz band which received interference. That's my question and concern, Pete. We're apparently not getting good results from the FCC with fixing interference caused by the power line systems, and my concern is this recent history with unlicensed systems repeating itself.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:21:10 AM »

The BPL operators of systems causing interference to amateur bands feel quiet confident with the support of Congress on BPL deployment and in general ignore notices from the FCC. I have not kept current with the most publicized case of BPL interference to the 2m amateur band. These operators were licensed under a city charter, ignored all FCC notices on the matter and responded to none, were then ordered to cease operation immediately or cure the problem immediately and ignored that order also.

What "publicized case of BPL interference to the 2m amateur band" are you referring to? BPL has its significant radiation issues between 1.6 and 30 MHz.

I can easily see how all amateur frequencies from 6 meters and up could easily evaporate from amateur domain in the near future.

Much of the emergency preparedness and disaster response plans that have been defined, or are in the process of being defined with a number of partners (FEMA, Red Cross, Citizen Corps within the Department of Homeland Security, and a number of others) will be using, as part of their front-line emergency communications, VHF and UHF amateur frequencies. I don't see any of these frequencies going away any time in the near future.

Am I the only one that remembers the rip-off of some 200mhz spectrum from amateurs? Well, UPS was so embarrassed over the flack and fallout from that one that they never used the stolen freqs. And the little lady did step down from the FCC Chairman position that planned and executed that deal but I imagine her new job as a UPS legal counsel paid more anyway.

There was 5 MHz in the 220-225 MHz band. They could have taken away 3 MHz and the band would still be under utilized. Back then, very few off-the-shelf rigs covered this band. Although we "lost" 2 Mhz in this band, the FCC gave us the 33 Centimeter Band which gave us an additional 26 MHz. Got 26 - lost 2; we're ahead by 24 MHz.

ALE (Automatc Link Establishment) spread spectrum digital voice is a proven HF system at this time. AM, FM, TV broadcasters are being forced into digital mode. Can amateur radio really be far behind on the list? I'm betting YaeKenCom will throw a few million in some politicians' pocket to make that happen.

D-Star is already been on the market for the past year. Both Kenwood and Icom have active products in the market. AOR has had its HF digital voice "boxes" on the market for the last several years. A system based upon a COFDM modem has been in experimental use on the HF bands since 2002. It's been happening for the last several years. Amateur rigs with no knobs are also in daily use. Amateur Radio is moving forward.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:40:24 AM »

I retired from telcom 6 years ago. Grin

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »

Done:
AM Amateurs in Telcom Industry.
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=11774.0