The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiny Cad  (Read 2960 times)
K9ACT
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »

A very frustrating thing just happened.  I wrote this very clever article on my love affair with TinyCad and attached a file and posted it.  The file was rejected and the only option I had was "back".  I went back and deleted the file but when I went to post it again it said I already did.  Which of course, I did not.  I knew trouble was coming so I tried to copy the article but it would only let me copy one screen so most of it was lost.

Lesson learned:  write it in notepad off-line first if its more than a few words.

The following is a truncated version done off line of notepad....

It was mentioned on the Noon Tome Forum that QST had an article on a program called TinyCad for drawing schematics.  As one who would rather solder than draw, I have always ended up with something that works but looks nothing like my original scetch.  So, if it works, who needs a schematic and so it never got done.

He (N9O0) sent me the program so I felt I had to at least look at it.  It turned into an addiction and with my wife on a jaunt in Europe, I was able to devote enough time to get over the learning curve.  I now have a beautiful schematic for my VFO/Exciter that I would love to share but so far, all I can do is email it.  I am trying to figure out how to post it to my web site or ftp but haven't learned how yet.

One of the neat things about it is that one can email it to anyone who has a word processor.  You don't need the program (even though it is a free download) just to view it.

For more info, just Google TinyCad.

If anyone knows where or how I can load this into the gallary or other such place, let me know.

Gotta get back to the schematic of my RF deck and then the mod and then the powersuppl

js

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »

I presume when you are in TinyCAD that you can send the schematic to the printer for printing.

If you had a pdf writer program such as Adobe Acrobat then you pick it instead of one of your printers and a pdf is made when you send a "print-out" to it.  The pdf file is a very good universal interface.  You can post .pdf files here on the AM Forum via "Attach:".

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »

I looked at TinyCad... good I guess

I use Circuit Maker....

It has the bonus of simulating the circuit ....

Same as most simulation progs...... some "real-world" stuff isn't calculated...

But REAL fun to play with ...

K9ACT
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:28:20 AM »

I looked at TinyCad... good I guess

I use Circuit Maker....

It has the bonus of simulating the circuit ....

Can you ellaoborate on that a bit.  I guess I am behind the times. What do you mean by "simulating the circuit"?

js
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 07:45:13 AM »

Yes, well....

It is one of many "SPICE" (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis)

Each component is assigned a set of values (software package or user input)

The software runs the circuit almost as if it was a real, hard wired entity.

In most packages, you get all sorts of VOM readings, oscilliscope measurements etc.

One thing I haven't found yet, is "Live" tuning....
In other words, being able to change cap or resistor values while the simulation is running....IE: tuning an amplifier....or adjusting for optimum values...\
Usually, you have to stop the sim, change values,restart   etc.

You can get free, or evaluation copies of some of these... while limited.. they are a heck of a lot of fun!!

Circuitmaker Student :  http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/courses/cs343/Circuit_Maker/circuitmaker_student.exe

Switchercad/lt spice   :  http://ltspice.linear.com/software/swcadiii.exe

there's just a couple.... there's more....  just google "spice simulation" or similar...
(careful... you might end up on a Spice Girls XXX page!!)

I use CircuitMaker 2000 "pro".... there are better ones for better $$...

At any rate, you'll find a better explanation than I'm giving you if you do a google, or whatever search...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015