The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:22:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is this spectrum supposed to come from?  (Read 18006 times)
WB3LEQ

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »

Ok guys, my question was where can I get the converter box that the FCC website describes as going from digital and converting it to analog for my tv that I am now watching.  Maybe the frequency allocations haven't yet been carved in stone so could that be a reason why I can not find the converter?   

Bob  WB3LEQ
Keep America Beautiful - Smash an ICOM!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 10:31:28 PM »

"   where can I get the converter box "

I don't know, but that never stops me from having an opinion.... ..

If I were best buy, ckt city etc.. I would not want to display, promote or provide a converter. I'm assuming that the profit from the sale of new tv's  far exceedes that of the converters......  klc

What? Me worry?
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 11:07:40 PM »

You just can not get any cheaper than a PCI card and a PC when it comes to digital TV.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATSC-Digital-HDTV-Tuner-PCI-Card-Air2PC_W0QQitemZ230154502899QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3761QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »

Regarding the question,  "  ..where can I get the converter box .. " (?)

Just now in googleing did find one'

http://www.unityelectronics.com/product-product_id/4067

Seems to be a Set Top for analog TV and LCD etc monitors.

Some of the hits are tuners for HD Ready TV's,  and quite a lot of PC card tuners.

Amma dialer-up  so takes a long time to wade thruogh the shopping sites.

73  GL  Vic  K6IC
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »

Hi all:

if opinions are like elbows...here are mine!

Yes you can get a set top box for over the air ATSC DTV. I may cost you up to $300.00. For $250.00 you can get a 12" DTV set. To me, buying a converter is not worth it.

If you wait a while, TV's will get cheaper. They are dropping pretty fast, but will never be the price of our current ones. If possible, wait and get a 32 inch or better DTV and actually enjoy the HD resolution that is available.

With a converter box, you will not see the higher resolution of HD.

Dan
W1DAN
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »

From Interference Technology's News:

FCC Announces Rules for Upcoming 700-MHz Spectrum Auction

"The Federal Communications Commission finally issued the rules that will govern the upcoming auction of the 700-MHz that will soon be vacated by analog television broadcasters as the nation undergoes the switch to digital television mandated by the Digital Television and Public Safety Act of 2005. As FCC Chairman Martin made clear in public statements and testimony before members of Congress, these rules carry provisos that are intended to set up an interoperable broadband public safety network, to provide more open wireless platform to encourage innovation, and to facilitate the creation of the next generation of wireless communication.

Key features of this ruling include the open access requirement, a public/private partnership for public safety communications, expanded coverage in certain geographical areas, anonymous bidding, and package bidding procedures. Specifically, the ultimate licensees for Band C (710 to 716 and 740 to 746 MHz) will be required to provide an “open platform” for devices and applications, in contrast to limiting certain services to the use of specific handsets. Internet search engine Google, and many consumer groups, had pushed for this requirement. Also, the 12 licenses within Band C will be subject to package bidding procedures to facilitate the build-out of a national footprint.

The eventual holders of the spectrum allotted to public safety (a 10-MHz swath at 788 to 793 MHz) will split obligations and responsibilities. The commercial licensee must build a nationwide interoperable broadband network, to which the public safety licensee will have access in states of emergency. Finally, the Commission mandated that the winning bidders in certain (presumably underserved) geographic areas must guarantee service to 35 percent of their area within four years and to 75 percent by the expiration of the license.

The impact of these rulings is still a matter of debate. Some columnists have hailed it as a win for consumers. Others including conservative Congressmen have criticized the “encumbrances” that may discourage certain bidders and thus prevent the U.S. Treasury from securing the optimal amounts for valuable spectrum. Still others see it as a mixed outcome with some potential for enhanced competition and innovation, while other cautious analysts insist that the ultimate outcome will depend on the winning bidders. To judge for yourself, read the Second Order and Report at the FCC website".

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-275669A1.doc

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2007, 09:29:32 PM »

That spectrum auction business is nothing but a huge, hidden, federal tax levied on the public.  The corporations bid zillions of dollars for spectrum.  Where do you think that money comes from?  The trickle-down effect to the end-user results in a small price increase in everything we pay for.

The radio spectrum is a natural resource that belongs to the public, not the federal government.  The FCC's function is to regulate the public airwaves. The only money they would be justified to get out of it is through licence fees sufficient to reimburse them for the actual cost of regulation.

When there is greater demand for spectrum space than there is spectrum available, it would better be distributed via lottery, not the highest bidder, and spectrum granted should be non-transferable.  If the winner is unable or unwilling to use the spectrum once awarded, it would go back into the pool for another lottery drawing.

What ever happened to the "public interest, convenience or necessity"?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 05:04:27 AM »

Don to your point -
I'm not sure if our monthly phone bill still has a surcharge for touch tone service

Those were interesting days just before the breakup of Ma Bell. Remember that they had to know the "ringer equivalency" of the aftermarket phone you were allowed to use ? There was a fee for each phone added.

I think my parents even got a call or a notice that they had too many phones, based on a random check by C & P Telephone. They'd ring you up, measure current, and if it didn't match the records they tried to nail you.

We figured out that by staying on "dial" service, a Touch-Tone® phone still worked and we didn't have to pay extra. We were using "Bell System Property" (not for sale) phones that we had found around (not purchased).

Those were some strapping phones, well-built, with a real mechanical bell, and all manner of RF suppression.

I am starting to see stories about people "discovering" the phone company has taken away their copper pair and the power to run their phones when they switch to fiber optic.  I was lucky to get onto this scam early -- and insisted that I have a "data only" fiber service where they'd leave the copper pair in place and running.

It occurred to me that a sub-plot  with this wild buildout of FiOS is Verizon's desire to get out from the copper infrastructure. Once a house is switched over, you can no longer get basic copper service. I suppose it's a matter of time before they will insist that ours be switched over too since they won't support one house.

Some people have said Verizon already is converting some neighborhoods over to fiber optic, with a converter at a distribution point that still feeds copper lines. I wonder how they make good on power when the lights go out, or maybe they no longer have to give a szht past a few hours, just like their limited promise for fiber service during power outages.

The world runs on a gel cell (made in China and non-EPA compliant)

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »

The spectrum auction proceeds were intended to go directly to the U.S. Treasury and be applied directly to deficit reduction. That was and still is the only legislated and legal purpose for the auction proceeds.

Which is, by definition, a federal transfer tax on frequency allocations.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »

The demand for spectrum isn't coming from fire/safety entities but rather from commercial wirless providers - cell phone, high speed wireless data/Internet and the like.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015