The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:25:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DVD,DVD-R, DVD-ram?  (Read 1792 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: August 02, 2007, 02:38:34 AM »

What is the difference between regular DVD recording and DVD-ram?

My friend has a pair of fancy new DVD player-recorders.  He made a copy of a DVD that I have, that I purchased from Amazon.com.  The quality of my disc is pretty poor, but the copy he made is substantially better, with a sharper image and less "tileing".  He says that the new recorder has some kind of "processing" that removes some of the junk and corrects some of the errors present on the original.  The quality of a disc copied off a VHS tape onto DVD-R is also better than the original.

The disc he copied from mine was in DVD-ram format.  He then made a copy of the DVD-ram disc onto regular DVD-R, which still shows better image quality than my original. But his DVD-ram won't play on my DVD player.  The screen menu indicates "no disc".  I tried running his DVD-ram copy through my computer, but all I can get is an error message that the disc is "not formatted".

His machine will play either regular DVD and DVD-ram.  He does not own a computer.

I had assumed that DVD-ram would be the same format as streaming video off the internet or a DVD data disc, but my computer's CD/DVD drive (which is read-only) won't recognise it.  I know that DVD's can be used to store computer data, just like a CD, and that a data CD is not the same format as an audio CD.

But what exactly is DVD-ram and why won't it play on my computer drive?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 02:53:12 AM »

Google dvd-ram and it brings up a ton of info on what it is, what it does, etc.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015