The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:32:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Slopbucket Net for your entertainment.  (Read 7106 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: July 09, 2007, 03:01:19 PM »

This one is on 3840.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9abGYYHQ6s&mode=related&search=

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1GFH
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »

Internet feuding, trashing, and stalking has become a popular sport for a rather large segment of the over-40 ham radio crowd in the last decade. This video (which includes the *"victim's" name and phone number) is apparently an example of such pea-brain activity. I have occasionally tuned across (but never participated in) this 3840 SSB group. Based in the Southwestern US, it once revolved around the participation of talk-show host Art Bell, W6OBB. I believe the group splintered into factions due to arguments about "who Art likes best" (or something.) A waste of good electrons if you ask me.

*I note that the subject of the video is a local Burbank ham who lives within spitting distance of KF6PQT. I actually met him years ago when he was briefly interested in AM, gave him a 12AX7 he needed for his Ranger II. Sadly, it seems he has been swallowed up by the Dark Side.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 04:32:17 PM »

Art Bell, the jim jones of radio.
kf6pqt

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »

Wow, no wonder I've been finding fleas on my socks after going for walks in the neighborhood.

Sad his website doesn't even mention that he lives across the street from the old Gonset Factory... wonder if he even knows.

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »

Absolutely disgusting and disgraceful, and not in the least bit funny or clever to me.

But unfortunately, not at all surprising, when you consider the continuing level of coarseness that pervades popular culture, entertainment, and certain aspects of mass media in this country. Why should amateur radio be immune from this? You hear it on AM and FM broadcast radio, over satellite radio (read Howard Stern), in the movies, television, magazines, the list goes on and on. The population of this country has in large part accepted this kind of thing as normal and appropriate behavior, based upon their continued and ceaseless exposure to it.

I think a respondent to this YouTube video said it best in his post: "It is very sad that this group of wierd (sic), sick people who have brought disgrace to a great hobby are still on the air. I have lost count of the number of good oeprators (sic) of 30 plus years that have left the hobby over these people jamming and use of very bad language. Those of us that respect the Art of Radio bow our heads in shame. That these people share the same hobby. The Good thing is 99.9% of Amateur Operators do obey the rules. Unlike these misfits. "

Sadly, I beg the question; is there any hope in sight for this great country of ours???

Just my 2 cents worth.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 06:28:53 PM »

No, not much.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »

gee who is doing their best to remove hope from the middle class?
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 06:56:45 AM »

This is nothing new.  Only now we have You-Tube so we can show our worst side to the rest of the world to anyone with Internet access.

I remember when I was spending a lot of time on the Left Coast in the late 70s and 80s I was absolutely amazed with the two-meter repeater wars that were going on out in California.  It was unbelievable.  I made tapes and played them for my friends when I got home.  We were amazed that no one got killed, or at least had the 10-1000 beaten out of them.  It was pretty bizarre.

I remember one time I was up at Timtron's in Skow-town and we played a portion of one of the tapes over Channel 11.  One of the idiots actually started talking to the tape so we kept it going for a while until it got too much even for this CBer. 

Those tapes are now pushing 25 years old and they're still pretty shocking to someone who has not heard them.  The FCC cleaned up the worst of them and yanked their licenses before the 1984 Summer Olympics which was held in Los Angeles. 

It also had a lot to do with the Southern California DX Club's efforts to get rid of them.  The "Six-One Slime" trashed their repeater on a regular basis and, on one occasion, a couple of them tried to seriously insult King Hussein, JY1, who visited often and used the DX Club's repeater when he was in town.  Don't forget this was early 80s and the SoCal DX Club had many wealthy and influential Republican members whose "man" was in the White House.  In fact, one of the "slimesters", Richard Burton, ex-WB6JAC, continued to transmit after his license was revoked and actually served a couple of terms in Federal prison for it.

I could probably make an mp3 of one of them and e-mail it to anyone interested in hearing them.  These idiots depicted on the You-Tube video are nothing compared to the "Six-One Slime".

I wouldn't even think of posting such garbage in the AUDIO VAULT, but it is interesting to listen to because it is sooooooo bad.

MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »

Do tell, who?

gee who is doing their best to remove hope from the middle class?

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 02:57:06 PM »

Well it can't be any of us.  We're having just too much fun.

Just like opening a dictonary and forgetting what was the original intent, I got caught up watching a bunch of U tube videos. There were some neat ones including a fool's gold crystal radio, a spark rig and some not too bright js's hooking up an 18kv transformer to a beaker of water.  Suffice to say the wiring melted.

Jeeze, Don, since you've referred us to several of these neat videos, I looked up your call to see if you'd produced any.  Nothing found directly relating to your call.  Maybe something else..     They sure are fun to watch.. mesmerizing too.

Oh another neat one where a guy had a remote contol model HumVee mounted with two Estes rockets. The little car would run to the middle of the field and then he'd command the launcher to go vertical and fire one of the rockets. He fired the second one at an angle; wonder where (what) it ignited?  Saw his wife earlier in the background.  Say, you don't suppose...

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »

Grin Grin Grin

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »

You-Tube? What the heck is You-Tube. Detune You-Tube just like detuning a vfo.  Now you see/hear it now you don't

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015