The AM Forum
May 23, 2024, 12:51:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Division Surveys  (Read 8010 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: September 12, 2007, 09:34:37 PM »

Back in July, Atlantic, Great Lakes, and a third Division conducted an online survey that was open to all ARRL members prior to the July Board of Directors Meeting. Word has it that over 2000 people responded to this survey.  It was also mentioned, maybe here or some other "place", that the results of that survey would be made public. Since the July meeting is long gone, has anyone seen any of this feedback in print?

Or, did someone put the lid on.......

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »

* wc.jpg (6.82 KB, 233x315 - viewed 493 times.)

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 07:22:45 AM »

Rocky Mountain Division has joined Great Lakes, Delta and Atlantic regions in conducting a poll of ARRL subscribers.

Maybe the respective Directors plan an omnibus report among them.

Beats me, I paid my $39 to take part in the survey here. Pete you had better get your region on board.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 02:43:33 PM »

Rocky Mountain Division has joined Great Lakes, Delta and Atlantic regions in conducting a poll of ARRL subscribers.

Maybe the respective Directors plan an omnibus report among them.

Beats me, I paid my $39 to take part in the survey here. Pete you had better get your region on board.

Neither the Rocky Mountain or Delta Division have a web site to report Division happenings. I wonder if they're going to have a "Division fish fry barbecue" and get the info out to all the members by using paper notice handouts.

In our Division, my Director and Vice-Director generally hit a lot of hamfests and club meetings throughout the year. For questions, "feel-goods", general p&m, etc., they're as close as e-mail, phone call, or one-on-one at a local hamfest. Also, in our Division, we get a monthly e-mail letter that highlights recent happenings, present activities, and future happenings. I suspect each Division has their own unique way of gathering member/nonmember input. My Director never fails in our conversations to direct the talk to a "did you hear that.....", or what do you think of....", etc. Makes you feel that, as a ARRL member, you're also part of the "team".

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »

Also noticed that this was post back in July in a previous thread:
"The Atlantic Division email reflector will carry additional details in August, and a presentation with further analysis is planned at the Maryland ARRL Convention planned September 8 at the Old Soldiers' home in Washington, DC (now called the Armed Forces Retirement Home)."
The previous thread:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=11642.0

WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 11:21:32 AM »

in our Division, my Director and Vice-Director generally hit a lot of hamfests and club meetings throughout the year. For questions, "feel-goods", general p&m, etc., they're as close as e-mail, phone call, or one-on-one at a local hamfest. Also, in our Division, we get a monthly e-mail letter that highlights recent happenings, present activities, and future happenings. I suspect each Division has their own unique way of gathering member/nonmember input. My Director never fails in our conversations to direct the talk to a "did you hear that.....", or what do you think of....", etc.

So is he refusing to take part in conducting an actual survey of subscribers in his region? That's too bad if so, because the poll has been well received in other regions so far.

I mean, it's all well and good that he socializes, but as you point out, it's just so much conversation. That sort of ad hoc attitude can make people feel trivialized, and discourage them when they attempt to express their views.

It's risky to rely on someone's interpretation and later recollection of a casual conversation at a hamfest, particularly when distracted by everything else.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »

So is he refusing to take part in conducting an actual survey of subscribers in his region? That's too bad if so, because the poll has been well received in other regions so far.

I mean, it's all well and good that he socializes, but as you point out, it's just so much conversation. That sort of ad hoc attitude can make people feel trivialized, and discourage them when they attempt to express their views.

It's risky to rely on someone's interpretation and later recollection of a casual conversation at a hamfest, particularly when distracted by everything else.

I doubt he would object to a nationwide ARRL online survey if one existed and the poll questions and answers had some residual value for amateur radio current concerns and future growth. However, from what I remember of the Atlantic et al survey, there was lots of fluff and very little substance, in many of the poll questions. Of course surveys like this can be good for Divisions that are spread out over a vast area and travel is an issue. However, in just looking at the Atlantic Division, there is a Vice Director and a number of Assistant Directors, who if chosen with some thought, could cover the entire Division area hamfests, club meetings, and other localized amateur activities as the eyes, ears, and voice of the Director.

You said: "that sort of ad hoc attitude can make people feel trivialized, and discourage them when they attempt to express their views"
Since the Hudson Division, is comprised of ENY, NYC-LI, and NNJ amateurs, you would be surprised how many of us "metro folk" are not trivialized and/or discouraged from expressing our views even if you don't want to hear them.

We also have twice yearly meetings, chaired by the Hudson Division Director And Vice Director, at which all Hudson Division Assistant Directors and all Hudson Division ARRL Affiliated Club Presidents meet along with the Division's Section Managers and other ARRL Division Appointees to discuss and exchange information on matters of relevance and importance to Amateur Radio.

Check out our Division web page:
http://www.hudson.arrl.org/

WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 10:30:02 PM »

OK Pete, so it's a matter of "a lot of fluff" versus second-hand ephemeral chit-chat as a way of collecting subscriber input.

To each his own.

has anyone seen any of this feedback in print?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 12:20:51 AM »

OK Pete, so it's a matter of "a lot of fluff" versus second-hand ephemeral chit-chat as a way of collecting subscriber input.

To each his own.

has anyone seen any of this feedback in print?

Probably some Directors feel they're getting a more realistic, from the heart, and/or honest response when they "look'm in the eye" verses someone filling out a survey from behind a keyboard. It's curious that there's no survey epilogue on either the Atlantic or Great Lakes Division web sites even after all this time. I also don't recall seeing any mention of the "survey" in the BoD meeting minutes. If the 3 Divisions that took part really felt it was a great idea, I wonder why no one brought it up as an future activity that all Divisions should participate in doing.

WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:14:45 AM »

Well then you probably won't be interested in the results, anyway, since they are far too stark and objective.

Data collection is funny that way, and I can't blame you for questioning those who are unable to sign up for the task.

I need to tell you, however, that even the League's head lobbyist has implemented this form of data collection, and is planning to address a group of digital buffs in Hartford soon:

ARRL Chief Technology Officer Paul Rinaldo, W4RI, will speak
about "Results of HF Digital Protocol Survey";

All I know is spending $39 on the survey was money well spent, since the results rather starkly show a 20% prevalence of AM among activities listed by subscribers in three disparate regions of the country.  One in five respondents participate in AM !!

Geez, since the League holds subscriptions from just one out of five licensees, that could make the case that AM is the National Association mode, you know ?

But seriously, this data create a comparison and helps prove a shortfall in the presence of AM in the Newington club's publications, activities, and other manifestations of their products.

Now that I have tried to convince you, if you REALLY want to see the results:
http://www.atldiv.org/surveys.htm
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 02:46:36 PM »

Well then you probably won't be interested in the results, anyway, since they are far too stark and objective.

Data collection is funny that way, and I can't blame you for questioning those who are unable to sign up for the task.

Actually, I'm well versed in generating surveys, their shortfalls, and their ability to sway respondents with the results, since having generated a number of them when I was in the corporate world.

I need to tell you, however, that even the League's head lobbyist has implemented this form of data collection, and is planning to address a group of digital buffs in Hartford soon:

ARRL Chief Technology Officer Paul Rinaldo, W4RI, will speak
about "Results of HF Digital Protocol Survey";

Surveys are not new to the ARRL; they have been doing them for years.

All I know is spending $39 on the survey was money well spent, since the results rather starkly show a 20% prevalence of AM among activities listed by subscribers in three disparate regions of the country.  One in five respondents participate in AM !!

You didn't need to spend $39 to find this out. You've been the touting the growth of AM interest since the early 90's. The growth of this board is another indicator. The fact that all major manufacturers now include AM mode on their equipment. The fact that we(they) convinced them to change "SSB" mode to "phone" mode in some of their publications and to add "AM" to their various award certificates.

Geez, since the League holds subscriptions from just one out of five licensees, that could make the case that AM is the National Association mode, you know ?

But seriously, this data create a comparison and helps prove a shortfall in the presence of AM in the Newington club's publications, activities, and other manifestations of their products.

Now that I have tried to convince you, if you REALLY want to see the results:
http://www.atldiv.org/surveys.htm

It's like magic; I ask where are the July survey results ("will post in August") on Wednesday, and by the weekend, they appear on the Division web site.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015