The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Locked Threads  (Read 2209 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: July 02, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »

If a thread that is posted by a forum user and becomes locked for whatever reason by the powers that be, why bother locking it.  Just delete it.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »

Sometimes Bob there's an early intervention strategy, where worthwhile content would be swept out to sea if we flushed the whole thread. Other times, yeah, just lean on the handle and be done with it. It's case by case, and most people find we strike a good balance between rigid rules of content, and latitude to express oneself among friends beyond the stated goal of the site.

(see Rules)

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 08:01:20 PM »

This site is about amateur AM and boatanchors.
Postings here that might be of general ham interest, not related to AM are going to be scrutinized by the mods and either locked and/or deleted. This ain't QRZ.com.

If any thread skews off into politics, religion or personal flames, it's going bye-bye.

Is this a subjective judgment?

Yes it is. A tough job that no one is going to appreciate.
No one in the moderators group enjoys killing threads. Most of us are the most laid-back people that one could imagine.

PLEASE refrain from posting anything that violates the friendly give-n-take spirit of the site and the rules.

Thanks.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:56:54 PM »

I see the Kuwait thread is gone.  Paul did make an attempt to keep the subject matter on ham radio.  I'm not sure who deleted it, maybe Bruce did it. It doesn't matter really.  Bruce also responded to this post but that response is gone as well.

Unfortunately, I live in a B&W world, at least I think I do.  It drives the people around me nuts because they seem to think I fail to see gray. Maybe they're right, I don't know.  I can appreciate the moderators granting leeway as an attempt to prevent a crap storm. I guess maybe my method of preventing a crap storm is more heavy handed.  That's all I was trying to say.  I think locking a thread that can potentially turn into mayhem isn't the way to go, just dump it altogether. 

Bill, I wasn't trying to stir the pot, just simply asking a question. But one last statement before I close, there are many threads in QSO that are not AM or boatanchor related or even radio related yet they are accepted. Maybe I do see some gray.

B

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »

Once again. Roll Eyes

The QSO area is for any subject except political and religious posts, It is like the AM Bar and Grill and of course anything that is posted must be following the guidelines and the regs we all agreed to to become a member. .

If a post is pulled or locked it is an Moderation issue. There is no reason to start a thread about it. If you are wondering why then you should contact Jay N3WWL who  handles both Membership Registration and Moderation on this site.

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015