The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leo Meyerson W0GFQ Celebrated 96th Birthday  (Read 5614 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: June 29, 2007, 09:55:55 AM »

An update on Leo:

Some of you asked in the past about Leo Meyerson W0GFQ, the founder of World Radio Laboratories (WRL) and I mentioned that he appears frequently in the QCWA Journal. 

The latest quarterly issue just arrived – Summer 2007 Vol. 56 No. 2, and Leo is in the Chapter Reports section – Chapter 154, the Leo Meyerson chapter in California, page 34.

There are 2 photos of Leo, one with 2 other hams who he just presented 65 and 75 year certificates at their January luncheon.  Leo stands between them and he looks about 1 ½ feet shorter and quite petite.

The other photo is of Leo celebrating his 96th birthday at the March luncheon where 50 hams and guest from around the Coachella Valley gathered including the ARRL Southwestern Division Director Dick Norton N6AA.

I hope he makes 100.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 10:17:31 AM »

Great news! Glad to hear old Leo is still up and about. I recall an email from when he was 89 (I think?), saying that he was still climbing his tower. Whether you like WRL gear or not, Leo's contribution to amateur radio is enormous, putting gear into the hands of so many who couldn't afford Collins, Johnson, or other higher-priced gear.

Thanks for posting this, Tom.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1MVP
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 11:30:52 AM »

Yep,--I and many others remember Leo, and the WRL(World Radio Labs) ads he had back in the 50`s
in QST promoting his line of products, especially the Globe King, Globe Champion, and of course his
"lower end" transmitters such as the Globe Scout, Chief, and so on.

I also remember his WRL QSL card, with the U.S. map background with an arrow which would point
to the person`s QTH.

He catered to all hams, not just those with "fat wallets", but also those of us with "thin wallets".

73, K1MVP   

W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 11:43:30 AM »

Leo, one of the last remaining icons from the halcyon days of American radio.
Art's gone, old Edgar Johnson is gone, Bill Halligan, Edward Heath, Oscar Hammarlund, even Mr. Harvey of Harvey/Wells fame.

As Rene mentioned, most if not all of WRL product was geared toward the amateur budget rather than commercial interests.
I somehow think of Leo making ham radio accessible to anyone with a dream.

Thanks for sharing that story Tom.
Think that is a good reason to get my old Globe Scout on the bench this weekend!

W1GFH
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »

I had once heard that Jody Foster's ham callsign in the movie "Contact", W9GFO, was originally going to be called W0GFQ in tribute to Leo. But I recently read the tribute was not intended for Leo, it was for W9GFZ, Grote Reber, a pioneer in radio astronomy in the 1930s and 1940s.
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »

Bona fide old buzzard.
Good for him.
K1MVP
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 05:40:39 PM »

Here is a "sample" of the famous WRL QSL offered to hams back in the 50`s and 60`s.
                                             73, K1MVP

* lastscan5.jpg (65.27 KB, 777x526 - viewed 520 times.)
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »

Hey Rene,

I've got one too!  This is one of mine I found on the web years later.

Vh

* K2JVM front.jpg (139.94 KB, 846x517 - viewed 478 times.)

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »

Nice cards, gents. Leo was obviously a full-service manufacturer.

I've been hoping to get ahold of one of Leo's old Call Area maps. I exchanged email a few years back with a fellow in Mass who had some of them, but lost his address long ago.

No antique shack should be without one!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015