The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 80m AM Action  (Read 2653 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: June 05, 2007, 09:21:24 AM »

Finally found some time last night to get on the air again for more than a few minutes. Haven't enjoyed a good radio evening since the mod transformer zorched in March.

Tuning around below 3800 I came across Jamie KF2VM calling CQ on 3705 and trying to stir up some AM action from across the pond.  We talked for quite a spell, leaving generous gaps between just in case. I had heard a couple of weak carriers earlier, not strong enough to make out who or where. European operations are apparently limited to frequencies below 3800.

As we reminisced about our early days in ham radio and what got us interested in AM, the name and call of Uncle Ed, WA3PUN came up. Jamie and I both have many memories of Ed from 'back in the day', for me he was one of the first if not the first contact I made after getting the KW-1 on the air back then.

Lo and behold, who shows up on the next go 'round but WA3PUN. For those not familiar, Ed is one of the old timers of AM having gotten started back in 1946. He's a bit of a character along the lines of Irb, Mike W2OY and other, colorful characters from the past. An enjoyable roundtable ensued for the next hour or so with topics ranging from OT stations no longer with us to Big Band music, to band leaders and jazz stars who met their demise as a result of hard living. Jamie shared the story of his early station and how he almost burned the house down one day with one of his creations, Ed talked about his time with the Wayne King Orchestra and his current Amos and Andy programs running on WBCQ 7415. I tried to throw in a few crumbs of interest as well.

Jamie was putting in a whopping signal from the station of KC2IFR. Ed was coming in well also despite increasing static crashes. When I first responded to Jamie's CQ, the band was pretty quiet overall as it often is below 3800. Jamie's desire for a regular presence down where the European AMers hang around echoes the sentiments of a number of us who prefer a more laid back approach to operating and less of the jamming and other garbage associated with the AM ghetto. 

Speaking of which, just before shutting down after midnight, I took a quick spin up through 3870-3885. Heard K6PBJ calling CQ on 3880, a bit on the weak side but making the trip. Returned his call and got a response, he was hearing me until some SSB crap started up on 3877. I listened as the slopbucket ops talked about firing up their lineeears to 'get over the AM noise', so it seemed pretty obvious. Some things never change. Maybe some of those 6-Land stations who aren't rockbound on 3870 will eventually re-tune down to the quiet part of the band for some better contacts.

Overall, it was a pretty good radio night, considering conditions. A cold front will be pushing through the northeast today and tonight, hopefully cleaning out some of the storms as it goes through. Jamie has committed to spending some time down low each night in hopes of having some contacts with Henk and the gang across water, I'm going to start hanging around back down there too as time permits. Don't be shy - chisel those VFOs loose, grab a different crystal, load up the rig below 3750 and join in the fun!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »

Todd,

Nice you use 3705, no problem for us!
You are welcome on 'our' AM channel!!!  Wink
Last weeks bad, very bad conditions on 80 mtrs.
But this morning I received Ken W2DTC on 3885 khz.
With fair signal, but I have no idea with who he was talking....
I only hearing him talking, no other stations!!!!

Greetings,

Henk / PE1MPH / Dokkum, The Netherlands Smiley
W1UJR
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »

I miss "Uncle Ed's Musical Memories" on WBCQ.  Cry
He's one talented fellow!

* amosandy1.jpg (184.06 KB, 481x597 - viewed 369 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015