The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 03:12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LTI the home of lightning  (Read 2877 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:56 PM »

Landed a cool field trip this afternoon to LTI the land of lightning. I hear they can shake the building. Boss wants me to take our Tech up and zap a small system.
They were on the History Channel a couple nights ago.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 02:15:37 PM »

The Marriott Courtyard in 14635 Baldwin Park Towne Center, Baldwin Park is one of the nicest ones I have been to.

And if you like good craft beer and Chicago style Pizza eat at BJs in West Convina about 15 minutes away. It is a new chain but the food and atmosphere is fantastic

Its Tartalicious!

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 08:25:04 PM »

Carl,
I was in Pitsfield, Ma. so think you are talking about some place different.
We were setting up and all of a sudden a buzzer goes off. I'm told cover your ears.
A few seconds later the place shakes with a very loud boom. The guy I'm working with informs me that was 100,000 to 200,000 amps. They set it off one more time.
Later we gave the boss a call and he requested I get the tour. The guy smiled and said come on out back. We  walk through the work shop that looked like it belonged to Tesla. Big oil caps and big BA spark gaps everywhere. there was a room full of 12 volt batteries uses to sustain arcs. Then we go out the back door.
Across the back lot was a new building.....They unlock the door and we go in.
Un friggen real. There was this tower looking device with about 20 very large caps on their sides with giant resistors connecting them all. It stood about 20 feet high.
Each cap had a pair of 4 inch spark BAs. At the bottom a 100,000 volt power supply.  At the top a small wire comes off to the shaping cap beside it the same height. The shaping cap then wired to the overhead crane and the nose section of a small plane. It was a good 10 feet off the ground plane on the floor.
They inform us that it takes a minute to charge it up and we were going to do about 2 million volts but low current.  They start the charge cycle and turn out all the lights. Then they set it off....friggin 10 foot arc to the floor.
Not to be out done they charge it up again. Now my eyes are getting use to the dark and they set it off again...man! What a flash. not that much noise though
I looked at the guy I was working with and all I could say was you guys are having way too much fun. I had to ask. How much do you guys charge too use this beast.
He said about $2,000 a day.
My boss wants me to take their lightning course...that should be a trip.
Now I really want a spark rig!
The show they were on is being aired again this weekend. Not history channel I don't get it though. They told me they only use the 1 million volt generator for the show though.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:09:35 PM »

Frank
Wow what a trip (in more ways then one)
I ASS U ME (D) it was  http://www.ltilamps.com/

Look forward to hearing your 1000 amp spark rig. Don't worry , static electricity on business trips will not harm you. See the pic below

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

I did ask if there was any XRAY emissions off the thing. None

the high current pulse would damage your ears though.
There was a big sign on the door pacemakers and other internal electronics keep out.

Nope this is a small company started by an EX GE guy'

Steinmetz and Tesla would be right at home in this place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015