The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:42:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3712 KC  (Read 6204 times)
ve6pg

« on: April 12, 2007, 07:36:48 AM »

..WHAT AM I HEARING ON THIS FREQ?...IT COMES ON, VERY STRONG...I'M ASSUMING IT IS SOME KIND OF DIGI-NARROW MODE, POSSIBLE FONE...VERY DISTURBING, WHEN IT JUST COMES ON, IT APPEARS WHO EVER IS DOING IT, HASNT LISTENED TO SEE IF A QSO IS IN PROGRESS....IDEAS?...TIM....sk...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:53:35 AM »

I'm not sure Tim, but I belong to SKCC (Straight Key Century Club).  Last year (before the big US realignment of 75 & 80m mode allocations), that freq. range used to be a hangout for SKCC members.  There were similar interference issues then (Feb. 2006) on 3719 kHz.  I just checked the message archives, and it was the same very loud digital signal.  I actually heard it myself.  Some of us thought it was SSTV (if it was it was Canadian, since this freq. was in the CW & digital modes area of the US band allocation).

Ellen -AF9J
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »

It sounds much like the German DRM signal up at 3990-4000 kHz, except that it is not so wide.  Maybe it's the amateur radio version of DRM that is supposed to take up only 2.8 kHz, as  recently discussed here.  It is a very effective jammer  whatever it is.  I had also thought maybe it was a digital form of SSTV.

There are a couple of similar sounding signals that up in the vicinity of 3855 kHz an a regular basis.  There was a discussion on this forum a few months ago about those signals apparently coming from Europe.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3LSN

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:56:56 PM »

..WHAT AM I HEARING ON THIS FREQ?...IT COMES ON, VERY STRONG...I'M ASSUMING IT IS SOME KIND OF DIGI-NARROW MODE, POSSIBLE FONE...VERY DISTURBING, WHEN IT JUST COMES ON, IT APPEARS WHO EVER IS DOING IT, HASNT LISTENED TO SEE IF A QSO IS IN PROGRESS....IDEAS?...TIM....sk...

Tim,

You didn't mention what time your heard that signal.  We are in the last gasp of the wintertime propogation conditions and I've been hearing some pretty exotic commericial and military stuff on 80/75 the last few weeks.  For instance a week ago I picked up a strong 850hz shift RTTY station near 3678 sending "NAWS NAWS DE CTP CTP QSX Ø4 Ø 12 MHZ AR"  Turns out this was the Portuguese navy.  I've heard some other data traffic as recently as this past weekend which was Euro in origin. 

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »

Guess we ought to listen to it and see if it matches up to the three freq. markers in hampal's scope, (drm) etc. Some of these digital sigs have many psuedo carriers. I think we can ID it eventually.
Anyway I enjoy the pix.jp2 stuff at 14.233 most any noons, more than the voice drm stuff.  Some really neat pix come from south of the border, down Mexico way.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ve6pg

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »

..HEY GUYS... WELL, OUR CANUCK GROUP SOMETIMES HAVE A QSO ON 3725 ABT 8PM...THIS THING COMES ON, AND I'M LISTENING IN THE 8KC POSITION, AND THIS THING WIPES OUT MY RCVR...VRY STRONG...TIM (SMITH) ....sk..

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 01:15:22 PM »

Might be that AOR Digital voice stuff?

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 11:57:17 PM »

We had to deal with this earlier tonight.

Turns out it's a couple of guys down south somewhere doing some kind of digital slow-scan-sorta-thing, or so they seem to claim.

After they QRMed W3JN and myself out of a QSO, I threw on the BFO to try and determine what could have been so important as to lay in ambush waiting for someone to come within 3kc and fire up with that overmodulated RF flatulence.

Whenever a carrier showed up within a few kc of this digital garbage, some guy on 3712 LSB would fire up and ask "Do you feel better now, *sshole?".

So I sat and listened, thinking to myself how much class this guy has, and how many hams might possibly look up to this guy and consider him an elder (or worse, an elmer).

Suddenly, the digital trash stopped.

"Well, looks like you got yerself a piper cub, there." said the guy with all the class.

"Yeah, well, that ain't me, that's a picture of a buddy of mine..."

That's as far as I got before I had to change frequencies, totally ashamed of myself for having operated anywhere near where these guys clearly had a God-given right to fire up at random unannounced intervals and (allegedly) exchange photographs of things that don't even involve them.

This, of course, was after Don and I were chased up there by some guy on 3705 who, by some totally amazing coincidence, I'm sure, sounded exactly like one of the guys on 3712.

There's a 4CX1000 in my VERY NEAR future.

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 07:56:13 AM »

I listened to the guys on 3705 after you and Don, the gentlemen that you are, agreed to move.  As soon as you moved one guy said "well I gotta go upstairs now, be back in 10 or 15 minutes". 

And there was NONE of that trash on 3712 until about 20 minutes after we moved up there.

Time to dig out the tape recorder  Angry

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ve6pg

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 08:40:36 AM »

...I HEARD THIS AS WELL...U GUYS WENT UP TO 3710, DON LEFT TO WATCH TV, AND THESE GUYS DISAPPEARED. DONT TAKE THIS WRONG PLEASE, BUT WE CANADIANS WERE PRAYING THIS CRAP WASNT GOING TO HAPPEN, WHEN U GUYS GOT NEW PRIVILEGES. WE ALL WERE HOPING THE GAMES WUD STAY UP THE BAND. I GUESS WE HAD IT TOO GOOD FOR SO LONG, WITH NOBODY DOWN THIS FAR IN THE BAND...OH WELL, IF WE HAVE TO MOVE BELOW 3600, WE WILL...BTW, THE GPT SOUNDS GREAT, TOO BAD U CANT RUN AS MUCH SOUP AS AL, VE3AJM....TIM....sk...

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 10:18:41 AM »

Thanks, Tim, wish you coulda joined in!  I heard you the other night talking with another VE3(?) and your xmitter (I think it was your Apache) was booming in and sounding great to boot.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KA1ZGC
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 01:21:17 PM »

No offense taken, Tim.

On the other hand, while we may corner the idiot market, we don't have the monopoly just yet!  Wink

Though certainly not for lack of trying.

--Thom
Kerolene Apparatus One Zooming Golf Cart
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015