The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:30:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What mp3 software?  (Read 4977 times)
Ed-VA3ES

« on: March 29, 2007, 03:11:02 PM »

I have some tape recordings of 75M ham activity I'd like to convert to mp3 files.  What software is best for this?     I have a Windows P3 box, running Win2KPro, with 256 Meg Ram, at 450Mhz.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W9AD
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:46:01 PM »

Hi Ed,
You might want to try WinAdr:  http://www.artech365.com/winadr/index.htm

Dave W9AD
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 08:40:42 PM »

The LAME encoder is nearly ubiquitous. It's a source code module used by many other programs and GUI front ends. Check out the list at the LAME web site.

http://lame.sourceforge.net/links.php

I'd recommend getting Audacity and install the LAME encoder (if it doesn't already come with it). Audacity is a nice audio recorder/editor and with LAME you can save/convert files to MP3. And it's all free!
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »

yea, what steve said, beat me to it.
Audacity also natively does Ogg/Vorbis which is right up there with MP3, sometime claimed to be better.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 12:31:49 PM »

Excellent replies, all!  I already have some Windows software that will generate a wave file.  Does that mean  that all I need is LAME?  Or should I also get  Audacity too?  (Audacity has some interesting features that are very useful, such as noise reduction.)

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:50:55 PM »

LAME is not a stand alone product but rather some code that can be wrapped into another program to provide MP3 encoding capability. There are some simple GUIs written to interact with LAME. But, since Audacity is free, I would just download and use it. You get the MP3 capability and a whole lot more  - like recording, editing, effects, noise reduction and saving in numerous file formats (other than MP3).

Go for it.

Excellent replies, all!  I already have some Windows software that will generate a wave file.  Does that mean  that all I need is LAME?  Or should I also get  Audacity too?  (Audacity has some interesting features that are very useful, such as noise reduction.)
ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »

...HEY ED...I LIKE TOTAL RECORDER...WERKS GREAT, JUST DO A GOOOOGGLE OM....TIM..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015