The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 02:04:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Worked California!!!  (Read 7737 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: March 12, 2007, 02:19:26 PM »

Yea, yea, I know - BFD! Well, it was for me. For years (decades, really) I've heard stories from the OTs, the seasoned vets, the late night loonies, about working the West Coast group. Was starting to get worried that I'd move and never get the opportunity.

Then fate took pity on me and my situation. After having a very full night down around 3725 with VE3OWV, K4KYV, K4XK/8, W2XR and KF4GZN, I was off to bed. This was around 12:30 - 1AM somewhere. But having been down in the quiet portion of the band for so long, I thought I'd make a quick check of the ghetto/cesspool area of 75m. Lo and behold - quiet as a church, with virtually no static or other noise. Tuning past 3875 I heard some very nice, clean audio so I stopped to listen, in hopes of some long haul AM.

Sure enough, who gives his call but Mike - KO6NM! S7-9, with excellent audio. Turns out there was a whole group in there, from Bakersfield to Cason City. I broke in half expecting not to be heard, but eventually it came back around and someone mentioned to Mike that there was a K1 station in the mix. He gave a call, and when I answered - he came back to me! woohoo!!  Cheesy

Other station included K6SFD(?)Jim, WA6HCX George on his 30K-1, WJ6W Dave, and KB6SCO, although John's Valiant wasn't quite making the trip back east. Mike and Dave were running 20V-2 BC transmitters and both sounded great. At times, signals were S9+10 on my less-than-stellar dipole. Later we were joined by K7KC Lynn from Salt Lake City. He said he had been monitoring and upon hearing my signal, wanted to try to work back east.

We went on for a couple of hours. Mike bowed out followed by a couple of others, but he mentioned the distance (3200 miles) and said he didn't remember being able to work the east coast for so long. By the time I signed out, it was after 3AM. Earlier in the night Bruce 'XR was talking with Don about their recent late night until 3AM, and how it took him several days to get caught up and feel right. I had been thinking how nuts it sounded to stay up that late, and then....

Sometimes you just gotta do it. It's been a looong time since I've heard that part of the band so quiet. I'm sure glad I spun that tuning knob around before throwing the switches and heading to bed.

I love radio!  Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 02:25:25 PM »

Nice catch Todd !!!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »

See, there is life in the ghetto! I havent talked to Mike in a looonnnggg time, its prolly been 2 years. I'm surprised you didnt run to Dave, W6PSS, he's usually in there with them.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:45:59 PM »

Lo and behold - quiet as a church, with virtually no static or other noise.

Congrats Todd.  BTW, was the organ playing?  Grin

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »

That's the great part of this wonderful subset of the Hobby to which we subscribe.  Where else would you get such a high from working a W6 station?

Ya gotta love it!

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:20:25 PM »

Quote from: Herb K2VH link=topic=10424.msg74392#msg74392
[b
Congrats Todd.  BTW, was the organ playing?[/b]  Grin

No Herb, but Mike's audio was definitely music to my ears. Several of the stations sounded great, and were putting good signals back into VT.

That's the great part of this wonderful subset of the Hobby to which we subscribe.  Where else would you get such a high from working a W6 station?

Ya gotta love it!

Yes!! It reminds me of working DX eons ago, but with much nicer audio and a more laid back approach. I still can't believe it.

I was so excited about telling everyone that I forgot to mention that yesterday was the one year anniversary of my returning to the AM airwaves after over a decade off the air. March 12th of 2006 I was on 40m with W1UJR, WA1HLR, WA3VJB, W9AD and others.

And there's a big radio event shaping up in NH for the first weekend in May and October. And Timonium, and Dayton, and....so much good stuff! Cheesy

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »

Yup..... Gotta love it !!!

Barefoot Viking 2, HQ 100A, dipole at 20ft.

* AM Japan.jpg (30.29 KB, 539x339 - viewed 359 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »

Nice catch, Buddly - and good hearing you down low last night, along with N3WWL, W3DUQ, N2YK and the rest of the crew.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 01:09:06 PM »

You were smokin' Todd. Hope the path from 4 land will keep you in touch with us.
Since Woody K4CR went silent, rest his soul, we need another big gun down there.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »

K6ONM is my next target/goal!!!! A really super Ham op and it was probably a nice QSO with the gangstas on the left coast. I need to try to stay up past 11:00PM........hi

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 01:41:12 PM »

I'd like to get California on 160 meter AM. I've talked to Bill HG in Colorado a few times but nothing further west. Was hoping to get a shot this winter but never did. In fact, it seemed the band was mostly shorter this year. The most westerly station I worked was in Wisconsin and that was at about 5 or 6 PM, before the band really got going.

Deano/KNX said he heard some of us in Tuscon not long ago, so there is hope.

Oh well, there's always next year.
N6WDR

N6WDR World Domination Radio

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

Congrats on the trip out west here.  I hope to get my station on the air in the next two weeks and making some contacts finaly.  First I was batteling the Valiant now I am having antenna issues. So this weekend I am going to put up a new inverted Vee, feed it with some 450 ohm ladder line that I just bought and hope for the best.  Hope to be able to talk to you guys soon.

Richard

SSB is for Sissy's... AM Is For Real Men
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

160M Left Coast??? WOW that will be a real nice contact.
I have worked Wasington State 160M SSB during the ARRL 'test in February, and it was Rough!!!
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »

I worked CA on 160 meter slopbucket ealier this winter Fred. Had a nice long Q with the CA station and several others out that way. Yes, I know, slopbucket....
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 03:08:14 PM »

I worked CA on 160 meter slopbucket ealier this winter Fred. Had a nice long Q with the CA station and several others out that way. Yes, I know, slopbucket....

SLOPBUCKET!! shame on you!! Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 03:09:33 PM »

And DX! That's it, I'm selling out and getting on 2 meters.

SLOPBUCKET!! shame on you!! Grin Grin
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 03:20:33 PM »

I'm selling out and getting on 2 meters.

I want ur amplifier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015