The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:59:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get people interested in 10m AM?  (Read 16960 times)
W1GFH
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 11:08:35 AM »

HC-6/U xtals...

http://www.zerobeat.net/drakelist/crystals.html
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »

Very good. Thanks. Smiley

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2007, 01:41:52 AM »

I would like to get my fathers Johnson

Oh my, Ed, that is just too much information!! Shocked Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1GFH
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2007, 03:22:32 AM »

I would love to be able to readily lay my hands on proven mods to the better quality good-buddy rigs.

Unfortunately, a lot of the good buddy rigs come already equipped for 10M these days.... Undecided

http://www.copper.com/cgi-bin/checkitout/checkitout.cgi?catalogSTORE:CKIE:RADIOS-10%20METER++++CATEGORY

But here is the mod info you seek:

http://www.qsl.net/wj5o/cb2bcn.htm
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »

I would like to get my fathers Johnson

Oh my, Ed, that is just too much information!! Shocked Shocked

Grin I guess I should read as I type........ Smiley

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
n3lrx
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »

Unfortunately, a lot of the good buddy rigs come already equipped for 10M these days.... Undecided

Yeah, But unfortunately most 'Good Buddy' 10m rigs still sound like Good Buddy radios!
Over modulated and drifty.. I used to have a few of them at one time. You can make some mods to them tho to get them to sound nice on AM. They usually do have high outpoot modulation built in and some have 50w RF outpoot. It's just a matter of a little tweaking. As long as you get one that's got a REAL VFO and Freq counter. Many only read the PLL and display the frequency they are 'supposed' to be on and not the true frequency. Get one of the good ones and you'll never know the difference.
W1GFH
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 06:44:10 PM »

Yeah, But unfortunately most 'Good Buddy' 10m rigs still sound like Good Buddy radios!
Over modulated and drifty.. I used to have a few of them at one time. You can make some mods to them tho to get them to sound nice on AM. They usually do have high outpoot modulation built in and some have 50w RF outpoot. It's just a matter of a little tweaking. As long as you get one that's got a REAL VFO and Freq counter. Many only read the PLL and display the frequency they are 'supposed' to be on and not the true frequency. Get one of the good ones and you'll never know the difference.

10-4 on the driftyness. But, IMO, you want decent comm quality audio rather than sooper dooper hi-fi, unless you are using the good buddy radio as an exciter for an amplifier...and I wouldn't recommend this on the grounds that the typical 4 watt good buddy radio is woefully underdesigned  when it comes to suppression of spurs. Broadcast quality audio is great in the strapper world, but when operating with a PW 4 watt signal on 29 mHz, it can often make copy difficult.  The exception to this is during sunspot cycle peaks when 10 is wide open. I used to have daily skeds with Pat W9GKZ in Wisconsin. We experimented with various power levels, and found that we could have "full quieting" AM QSO's with 3 watts each. Of course, Mother Nature was doing all the heavy lifting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015