The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 10:32:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I thought this was funny..  (Read 3984 times)
n3lrx
« on: March 13, 2007, 05:29:44 PM »

I was talking to a friend who was telling me about a TV Show he watched, I think it was Penn & Tellers, BullSh*t.

Anyway, as the story goes the drew up a petition to ban all uses of "Dihydrogen Monoxide". Their target points were that all chemical producers use this chemical as a base, it's used in Styrofoam, Freon, Nuclear Power Plants, Oil Refining, etc, etc, and that it should be banned from any form of use..

They put a man on the street to push for signatures and they managed to gather thousands of signatures from more than 90% of the persons asked..

Whats so funny?? Well, in case you didn't know, "Dihydrogen Monoxide" is used in everything imaginable. In fact, if it were banned from all use every living creature on this planet would die. Because you see "Dihydrogen (H2) Monoxide (O)" is WATER! aka H2O!

Just goes to show that you could propose something like this and if it's properly worded then you could actually ban a substance that every known form of life depends on! I guess that shows how gullible the population is.

Now you know the rest of the story...
W2FAL
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »

Check this out...it is well done.

(Plant your tongue firmly in your cheek.)

http://www.dhmo.org/

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »

Or pour some latex paint thinner into a glass and threaten to chug-a-lug it.

Remember, a lady recently died as a result of drinking a large quantity of latex paint thinner as part of some DJ's  radio show stunt.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 01:46:34 PM »

Does anyone remember a few years ago when Jay Leno did one of his "Man on the Street" interviews and asked passers-by the following question?

"IF YOU KNEW THAT A CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT WAS A HETEROSEXUAL, WOULD YOU VOTE FOR HIM?"

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was absolutely amazing how many people said that they would certainly not vote for such a person.  As I recall, several even went so far as to call such a person a pervert.

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »

Remember Herb, those interviews are done in LA. Think about it.  ;-)

Reminds me of the fella who asked the father of a college bound daughter if she had matriculated. The father was pissed.

Does anyone remember a few years ago when Jay Leno did one of his "Man on the Street" interviews and asked passers-by the following question?

"IF YOU KNEW THAT A CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT WAS A HETEROSEXUAL, WOULD YOU VOTE FOR HIM?"

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was absolutely amazing how many people said that they would certainly not vote for such a person.  As I recall, several even went so far as to call such a person a pervert.

vH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »

Brit Hume uses little clips of humor at the end of his report just before the news, usually from shows like the Daily Show, Late Show, etc. One of the best was from the Tonight Show when Leno was out showing people pictures of politicians and asking who they were. He showed one guy a picture of John Edwards and the guy wasn't sure who he was, but he knew who John Kerry was because he had voted for him, and knew that it wasn't his running mate.

Then he showed a woman a picture of Obama. She immediately said "Oh, I know him! That's Tiger Woods, he plays golf".

Yeah.

Thank God for the few who stand on the wall....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 03:49:02 PM »

Remember Herb, those interviews are done in LA. Think about it.  ;-)

Yeah, Steve, but at least it wasn't San Francisco. Shocked

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 05:18:12 PM »

There was a guy on the left coast ( Tom Lycis?) who, on his radio program, announced he was going to masticate with a banana , live, on the radio........   The callers went nuts...........   klc

What? Me worry?
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »

A lot of the information that we instantly accept as true without verification, and will pass on to others as true, is dependent upon our own self-interests.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015