The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:38:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Capacitance Question  (Read 3794 times)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« on: February 17, 2007, 06:17:16 PM »

I'm in  the process of rebuilding an HRO-50T. The electrolytic was shot so I went searching for a new one. I went down to my local parts jobber, (Moyer Electronics), and the closest thing Bill had was a 50 MFD/50 MFD @ 450VDC Photo Flash Mallory capacitor. I know the duty cycle of a photo flash vs. a standard electrolytic are different. The question is: Do I have any thing to fear by utilizing this cap? The highest voltage I can see being developed is about 270 VDC. I would like to know before I go through the trouble of installing it. TNX

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »

My understanding is that Photoflash caps are NG for high ripple currents.
They like being discharged though.
Makes them good after the ripple has been smoothed.

Best bet is the little caps they use for HV switching supplies... you can find some in those computer monitors that no one seems to think the parts are of any use but me...  Wink

Plus they are small... often found in the guts of computer power supplies too... and at hamfests...  Grin

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N2udf
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »

Antique Electronics has a 50/50 500v cap that I have used(works great)....Lee,N2UDF
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 03:59:54 PM »

I purchased an exact replacement for the multi-section electrolytic in one of my 75A4's from Antique Electronic Supply, or from Mouser (forget which).  It was identical in every respect to the original, except that the test and working voltages were about 100 volts higher.  If I recall, it was a Mallory, but under a different brand name.  The well-known original manufacturer apparently discontinued the line or went out of business, but a new company claimed that they took over the entire product line and still makes them.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 09:29:07 AM »

If the caps are not shorted or too leaky, just buy 47 or 56 uF  350 V or higher, radial lead caps from Digikey and solder them to existing terminals.

Some people have puled the guts out of old twistlock caps and replaced insides with individual caps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015