The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:26:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It Seems to Me - Forum for Audio Clips - What Say You Big G and the Group?`  (Read 16224 times)
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 07:11:57 PM »

I agree Paul, who knows what audio formats might be coming down the line. Grab the best quality from the first transcription and save it, then go from there. Adjust formats as needed later. Hard drives and DVD's are now cheap and getting cheaper. And someday soon, Blu Ray...........Larry
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 09:36:49 PM »

I think we are talking about two different things here. One is the format used to make the "original" digital copy from the analog tape (in most cases). The other is the format for presentation on the Web. These are two very different things with very different requirements.

For the first, yes, digitize it with the best resolution and bandwidth you can get, within reason. Something like 24 bits at 48 kHz should be more than enough for nearly all off-the-air recordings. NO compression of any kind (lossy or lossless) should be used. The two most likely formats are WAV or AIFF. There are variations of each of these (they include metadata) for cataloging or archiving purposes.

I've stated my thoughts on the format for the second (Web presentation) in a previous message.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:10 AM »

I wonder if anybody remembers W3EBM?  He ran a Johnson Desk KW and used the phonetics "Three Empty Beer Mugs"  He had a killer signal into Indiana.

73,  Jack, W9GT

My old buddy Mike, W2OY, used to call Roger "Three Entire Bowel Movements."

Jack also said, "My strongest memory (of W2OY) was also his exclusion of young ops and "K" calls."

Jack, five of us 17-year old K2-call space cadets busted that myth when we went to visit Mike on January 6, 1957, were invited into his home, and became the best of friends.  See my article on Mike:  "PREMUS - CLASS A AM - W2OY" in AM Press/Exchange Volume 54 November 1987.

K2VHerb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 11:01:27 AM »

Hi all:

Here is my process for transferring audio cassettes.

I play two cassettes into a Lynx One sound card (capable of 24 bit 96khz). I use the left channel for one tape and the right for the other tape. I record in Adobe Audition using 32 bit 44.1khz. I edit the tallest of pops and DC transients if they are about 1/3 louder than the normal audio. I then peak normalize to 100%, then downsample to 22.050khz 16 bit. This gives a flat response to 12khz, about the best bandwidth of my Yaesu FRG7700, and wider than 99% of any transmitting station (yes it is a compromize, but after extensive listening I hear no audible tradeoffs). For an hour cassette this will be about a 150mb mono WAV file.

This is my archive. Ill keep at least two DVD's of this.

I will then convert all audio to MP3, MP4, AAC or whatever the board decides. I feel the compression format should be open source or easily and freely available for playback. Keep in mind the planned obsolecense of computer software and hardware.

dan
W1DAN
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 06:21:19 PM »

I vote for 192kbps mp3. good quality, ok file size, universal for itunes and all other players.

please convert all nasty RM clips. Real is a real pain in the ass. It was good for dial up back in the day, but really bad now.
n3lrx
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 03:13:44 AM »

I know Irb's gone but I'd split my gut hearing "Irb's Greatests Hit's again. or when I threatened Irb with treason because he wasn't having a Merry Christmas..... Wink

I'd split my gut hearing some revisits from the "Black James Bond" Cheesy
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 07:11:48 AM »

that may happen. I have to run myself through the blackness confirmed reader like they did in Undercover Brother and see if the result is still " Blackness Confirmed! You got Soul!" They may have removed some of my blackness in the brain operation.

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 09:16:44 AM »

It will take some of you back and you might think: "wow, haven't heard that sound in ages" and some of you won't have any idea what it is. Who out there remembers what this is??? HMMMM? Cheesy

http://home.comcast.net/~gerboid/mystery_sound.mp3

..........Larry

I know that sound. I remember listening to it when  I was a 10 yo JN. It was the sound of our planes engines with an open mike.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 06:21:03 PM »

Jack, five of us 17-year old K2-call space cadets busted that myth when we went to visit Mike on January 6, 1957, were invited into his home, and became the best of friends.  See my article on Mike:  "PREMUS - CLASS A AM - W2OY" in AM Press/Exchange Volume 54 November 1987.

K2VHerb

And I have the audio of the story to prove it!
Soon to be posted in the AM Audio Vault!

73 Bruce 1UJR
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 09:02:10 PM »

"And I have the audio of the story to prove it!
Soon to be posted in the AM Audio Vault!

73 Bruce 1UJR"

I'd love to hear that. I remember running into W2OY once when I was first getting on phone after I upgraded from novice to Advanced class in 1970. As I recall I didn't meet his standards. :-) I was running a Knight T-60 with some sort of crystal mike and an HQ170 to a single wire Windom near Rochester NY. I recall that call "No lids, no kids, no space cadets!" Be nice to hear "The rest of the story"

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »

I remember running into W2OY once when I was first getting on phone after I upgraded from novice to Advanced class in 1970. As I recall I didn't meet his standards.

Kevin,

You didn't run into Mike in 1970.  He died on November 25, 1967.

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »

If you are going to have sound clips, you gotta have the
"shut up Irb" clip in its entirety!! Every time I hear someone play a snippet of that over the air, I just about bust a gut laughing. You can close your eyes and see the prime minister's eyr balls popping out of his head and the veins bulging in his neck!! Truely one of "Irb's greatest hits"!!!
                                         The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »

"Kevin,

You didn't run into Mike in 1970.  He died on November 25, 1967.

vH"

Hmmmm, memory is the first thing to go??  Shocked

I *do* recall hearing that CQ on the air. Maybe I'm confusing listening to it as an SWL before I got my Novice in '68. And I also recall getting rebuffed by someone as a new Advanced class phone op - partly because my VFO was FMing under modulation. I guess I've blended them together in my memory. Or maybe someone was rolling some tape of Mike  Grin

I'd still like to hear the rest of the story, either as text, or the audio.

I just realized that my very first phone operations *were* AM.  All my buddies had heathkit SSB rigs like HW101's, but all I had was the knight T60. So I guess I've come back to my roots.  Wink

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015