The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:50:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving web pages  (Read 2273 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 13, 2007, 03:03:44 PM »

Ever bookmark a web page, only to go back to it sometime later and find a dead link?   You could save it on the HDD as a HTML file, but each part of the page (each image and piece of text saves as a separate document, so you have the page icon plus a folder full of separate files, unless you save it as text only).  I stumbled upon this little site that allows you to archive a web page in its entirety with one click, and go back to the complete page later, even if the original page is long gone.  And it's free!

Of course, we'll be SOL if this site ever goes belly up, so I would still back up anything I couldn't live without.

http://www.furl.net/getStarted.jsp

Have you heard about Furl? Some say it's the "Greatest Internet tool since Google."

Once you've created your free account, you can save and share the Web pages that interest you and then retrieve them from any computer. Unlike other services, Furl saves the full text of a page�no more dead links!

Download the Furl button or toolbar for a variety of saving options, including the ability to bookmark on the go!

Other cool features include personalized recommendations, easy sharing via email, RSS and Web site integration.

Happy Furling!

The Furl Team

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »

Why not just use the WayBack Machine:

http://www.archive.org/index.php
Just put the link you want in the box above "Take Me Back"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 05:02:31 PM »

Of course, you'll need to archive all the pages associated with the links in the initial page, or you'll still be SOL.
n3lrx
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »

Bookmark and make available off line too..
That saves the entire page. There are also 'Bot' programs you can get that will download and archive an entire site with one click. Whatever it can grab it gets. text, pictures, media, everything.. Some sites have protection to prevent bots from sucking down too much but many websites still work fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015