The AM Forum
June 06, 2024, 06:43:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Active Broadband Loop Antenna  (Read 838 times)
Les Locklear

« on: May 12, 2024, 08:22:28 AM »

Last September we moved into a smaller home with the accompanying smaller yard. I originally had an end fed long wire 81 Ft. Sloping from a high end of about 30 Ft. down to 9 Ft. The low end was oriented at 10° from magnetic North and worked quite well from BCB to HF. That location was quite quiet.

The "L" shaped yard in the new location provided a challenge for the 81 Ft. Long Wire. So, after reviewing countless reviews I decided on this: https://nobleradio.com/page11.html

I mounted about 14 Ft. from the bottom of the loop to ground and installed a rotor. Typically, the signals on a known fixed station were slightly louder on the wire vs. the loop, but the loop is much quieter. Plus, the ability to null out various frequencies is wonderful. The quality of the loop and the controller is fabulous.

My station after much downsizing is a completely rebuilt Hammarlund HQ-180C and an Icom 756 Pro III that has had the attenuation mod on the BCB.

I am extremely pleased with this antenna and have no connection financial or otherwise with Noble Radio.

* RCA Rotor Box and Loop Controller.jpg (2316.41 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 70 times.)

* RXLP-1 Loop.jpg (1509.92 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 80 times.)

Les Locklear<br />Gulfport, Ms.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 09:51:24 AM »

I’ve experimented with several active loops. I live 2 miles from a 50kw AM BCB station (WABC) in addition to about 7 other stations that serve the NY NJ metro area. Every loop, except the loop previously sold by Pixel (now sold by DX ENGINEERING) resulted in more intermod than actual signal. My experience has been that if you live in an area near AM broadcast station you may be disappointed.

I also found that many receivers can’t tolerate the nearby AM stations. The SDR PLAY receivers were acceptable, but the winner was my Flex 6500. I also have my HQ180AC, but the max bandwidth really limits good fidelity receiving AM.
Les Locklear

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 04:04:45 PM »

I’ve experimented with several active loops. I live 2 miles from a 50kw AM BCB station (WABC) in addition to about 7 other stations that serve the NY NJ metro area. Every loop, except the loop previously sold by Pixel (now sold by DX ENGINEERING) resulted in more intermod than actual signal. My experience has been that if you live in an area near AM broadcast station you may be disappointed.

I also found that many receivers can’t tolerate the nearby AM stations. The SDR PLAY receivers were acceptable, but the winner was my Flex 6500. I also have my HQ180AC, but the max bandwidth really limits good fidelity receiving AM.

Not a problem here, the nearest 50 KW station is 870 WWL in New Orleans about 75 Miles SW of here. I can get good nulls on most of the local BCB stations, especially at night many of those "graveyard" stations can pop up as I rotate the loop. The HQ-180C has the ER Magazine audio modifications and sounds good with a big 8" Sounds Sweet speaker. But the 9 KHz bandwidth on the Icom 756 sounds very good too. I can listen nighttime all up the east coast as well as midwest stations on the BCB.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2024, 07:52:23 AM »

Any info on the ER magazine mod for the 180?
Les Locklear

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 09:04:58 AM »

Any info on the ER magazine mod for the 180?

Check your email.

WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 08:07:59 AM »

Got it, thanks
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 01:01:14 AM »

I have a Pixel unit. I'm very pleased with it.  It came with the 'T/R switch' accessory that cuts off its receive amp when the transmitter is keyed (a hookup, not carrier operated).

Radio Candelstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015