The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:07:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another vote for the LP100A  (Read 453 times)
KD1SH

« on: April 18, 2024, 10:38:46 AM »

I know this has been covered in the past, and the Telepost LP100 highly spoken of, but I just wanted to add another thumbs-up for this device. My shack's measurement repertoire has always included the standard offerings from Diamond and Daiwa, in their pseudo peak-reading versions, which are quite decent devices in their own right but fall way short of delivering true peak-reading performance. Actually, the best peak-reading analog wattmeter I've used is an old Mirage MP2, but it's a VHF device, 50 to 200mhz.
  At nearly every hamfest over the past few years, I've found myself looking at used Bird 43's—some very nice looking and for decent prices; others looking like they'd been dragged to the 'fest on a rope behind the seller's vehicle. Often there are no slugs included—or at least not the slugs I'd need—or sometimes the meter is being sold only as a package deal with a plethora of slugs, none of which would suit me.
  Brand-new Bird 43's are an option, as are the Coaxial Dynamics offerings, but with slugs and the peak-reading kit, you're getting into some bucks; all for what consensus seems to indicate would be dubious peak-reading performance. For steady carrier readings, my Diamonds and Daiwas are close enough. Array Solutions used to offer the PowerMaster, which was well reviewed, but I believe they were made in Ukraine, and the war pretty much ended that.
  So, in part because my recent acquisition of the K7DYY Super Senior has had me paying more attention to my PEP, I ordered myself an LP100A, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. For around $500, you get an accurate peak-reading digital meter that doesn't require the purchase of slugs or pickups—it comes with a 3KW pickup—and will do other tricks besides reading RF power. You can also download free software to display the information on your computer screen, which is great for me, since my usual operating position isn't in front of the rigs but in front of my computer screen, on which is also displayed the SdrUno screen, the REA Steve-O-Meter, and often a webSDR.
  This meter is one of the best radio accessories that I've ever purchased!

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 06:15:01 AM »

I have an LP100.  Amazing meter.

Also have a powermaster and a few Birds, including digital Birds.

The LP100 (and powermaster) are always in agreement with the Bird.  So much so that I tend to give those two meters more credibility than the Bird!

Great choice.  Try the VNA sweep function in concert with a rice box.  Wow!  Couple in with ZPlots by Dan Maguire and you can calculate antenna feedpoint impedance from the shack end!

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI
KD1SH

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 09:37:35 AM »

I'd forgotten about the digital Birds, like the 4391A. Top notch gear, but pricey. Well, it's a Bird, so you'll pay accordingly. I'd also forgotten about the MFJ 849. Well, it's MFJ, so...
  LDG made a nice digital wattmeter, which was well reviewed as I remember, but I don't think they make it anymore.
  Telepost also offers the excellent LP500/LP700, which add some additional capabilities and a spiffy display to the groundwork laid by the LP100A, but they start off more expensive and the pickups are extra.

I have an LP100.  Amazing meter.

Also have a powermaster and a few Birds, including digital Birds.

The LP100 (and powermaster) are always in agreement with the Bird.  So much so that I tend to give those two meters more credibility than the Bird!

Great choice.  Try the VNA sweep function in concert with a rice box.  Wow!  Couple in with ZPlots by Dan Maguire and you can calculate antenna feedpoint impedance from the shack end!

--Shane
WP2ASS / ex KD6VXI

"Gosh, Batman, I never knew there were no punctuation marks in alphabet soup!"
—Robin, in the 1960's Batman TV series.
N4ZAW

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 04:08:40 PM »

Yes! It's an amazing meter! I sold mine after getting Telepost's LP-700 station monitor that replaced it. I sold it only because the 100A and the two Bird meters it replaced became redundant.
In a way, I sort of regret that decision. It would've been nice to be able to leave the 100A in the shop, and the 700 in the radio room, but hindsight is what it is. And at $1100 (including the two 3K samplers) my "play money" funds needed to recover a bunch. So now, it's out there in the shop instead of in here (radio room) where it was supposed to go.
And the LP-700 isn't nearly as simplistic to use, either. But it's just an outstanding monitor for RF amp work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015