The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:28:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas for $2.29!  (Read 26269 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2006, 03:06:38 PM »

One year ago gas here was $1.859.  Now people are tickled to death that it is only $2.519 after coming back down from $3.169+. 

I'd sure like to know where in 3-Land you live, Tom. I was down through there just a year ago (10-12th, Gaithersburg weekend) to pick up a transmitter in NC then hit the 'fest on my way back. Cheapest I found anywhere along the way, even back roads and small towns, was $2.99/gal. Considering it was just after the big storm in the Gulf and over $3 in most places, I'd find $1.86 remarkable.

So along with less driving being a contributing cause, that horrible hurricane season we were bound to have because of global warming just isn't shaping up as predicted. Several of the storm authorities (no, not the weather channel) have revised their guesstimates downward. Still, some will find fault with anything.

Right now I am more concerned about heating fuel than gasoline.  I can still cut back on car usage if necessary, but don't look forward to setting the thermostat below 60° F this winter. 

Burn more trees!!  They're ganging up on us!  Shocked

* trees.jpg (245.5 KB, 690x453 - viewed 462 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W8EJO

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2006, 07:01:20 PM »

Wholesale price dropped again today by nearly 3% - [GASOLINE NY UNLD  155.210 -4.250 -02.67 09/12]

Market reasons:
Much lighter than anticipated hurricane season (global warming took a late summer vacation).
[Updated: 11:06 a.m. ET Sept 1, 2006
DENVER - Hurricane forecaster William Gray’s team downgraded its expectations for the 2006

Iran will probably keep pumping & selling despite earlier fears.
[LONDON (Reuters) - Oil extended losses for the seventh consecutive session on Tuesday, retreating to under $65 a barrel after Iran sounded a softer note on its atomic program]

New find in gulf announced.
[By BRAD FOSS
AP Business Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A trio of oil companies led by Chevron Corp. has tapped a petroleum pool deep beneath the Gulf of Mexico that could boost the nation's reserves by more than 50 percent.A test well indicates

Anticipated short-term world demand drops.
[Crude Oil Falls Below $64 on Forecast for Lower Global Demand
By Mark Shenk
Sept. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Crude oil dropped below $64 a barrel in New York after the International Energy Agency cut its global consumption estimates.
Global oil demand will average 84.7 million barrels a day this year, 100,000 barrels less than was forecast last month, the Paris-based IEA said.]

And for you conspiracy theorists:
Dateline Mars:
The evil Dick Cheney (former CEO of the wicked Haliburton), after ordering God to cool it with the hurricanes, ordered his empty headed puppet, GWB, to lower the gas prices so that the sinister Republicans could win the upcoming elections.

GASOLINE NY UNLD  155.210 -4.250 -02.67 09/12

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2006, 09:02:53 PM »

"The evil Dick Cheney (former CEO of the wicked Haliburton), after ordering God to cool it with the hurricanes, ordered his empty headed puppet, GWB, to lower the gas prices so that the sinister Republicans could win the upcoming elections."

WRONG, WRONG wrong...... The government (CIA) controlls the weather, not God, and who controlls the  government??? The REPUBLICANS.. ( and the Illuminati, the Club of Rome,  Trilateral Comission, Skull and Bones, Masons and a few electricians{ IBEW of course}).

Still on narcotics.

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 05:41:14 PM »

In good ole Connectitax the lowest I've seen on my travels is $2.68.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 09:26:28 PM »

2.63 in Vernon yesterday Bob
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 10:13:45 PM »

Phil said:
Yesterday, I paid $2.19 a gallon for regular gas in Benton, PA. In Wilkes-Barre, the average price is $2.46 a gallon. For some reason, the prices in Columbia County are among the lowest in the state.

That strange Phil. Here in Danville, I saw that it is $2.47.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 10:20:30 PM »

One year ago gas here was $1.859.  Now people are tickled to death that it is only $2.519 after coming back down from $3.169+. 

Happy about a 36 % increase in one year.  You gotta admire the gas company executives' strategy.

You also have to admire the dumbasses flying down the road at 85 mph every day.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »

Just heard an interesting twist on the falling gas prices.  One entity that seemed to be really doing well with the high prices was the government.  Specifically, State government was making a real haul via sales taxes.  Now with falling gas prices, they might not be doing so well, and we could see other taxes go up as a result to compensate.  Hmmmm................this might reveal unforeseen consequences of cheap gas prices that could lead us to having the total "real" cost of fuel being near where it was before the drop.
It goes something like this:  pay me now....or pay me later!!!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »

That's a good point Jack.  Here in CT the budget is in the black by nearly a 1 billion as a result of gas tax revenues and realestate values.  I wonder what will happen when gas tax revenue will shrink.  The CT government is notorious for shoving tax bills up the taxpayers behind and never consider their poor business sense and anticipate shortfalls in money flow. And I'm sure other states are very similar.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2006, 09:19:14 PM »

And and the politicians have the nerve to accuse the oil companies of price gouging!

Just filled up this afternoon for $2.19!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2006, 09:40:10 PM »

$2.51 tonight on my trip home.
Yup Roland Jr. in Hartford just as useless. Blow my money on useless construction projects. Spend always increasesto cause more taxes.
Oh the got old days of Ella and the rainy day fund.
Then that crook O'neil and next Rowland.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2006, 04:05:58 PM »

Here in CT the budget is in the black by nearly a 1 billion as a result of gas tax revenues and realestate values.  I wonder what will happen when gas tax revenue will shrink.  The CT government is notorious for shoving tax bills up the taxpayers behind and never consider their poor business sense and anticipate shortfalls in money flow.

They'll use eminent domain to confiscate your house and antenna farm, and then sell the property to some upscale developer, in order to collect a bigger tax bill than what you are paying.

But don't worry, gas will be back up.  I betcha heating fuel up there hasn't gone down by anywhere near the same percentage as gasoline.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2006, 06:24:45 PM »

Liz told me today she filled up for $2.47 down the street from where she works.  I haven't seen much of a change over the last few days here in the local area.

As for fuel oil the average retail price as of Sept. 11 for New London County is sitting at 2.55/gal.  I locked in at 2.49 back in July. Should be interesting to see what happens over the next few months.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2006, 08:04:52 PM »

I filled up a while back for about $2.40.
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2006, 10:14:27 PM »

filled at 2.49 today in maine, 50 miles further saw 2.39/gal at a citgo station. keep comin
down, yo!

am forever!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »

I use mass transportation.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »

I paid $2.759 here in NY state...   I hope that the ny city subway riders get a more comfortable ride as this price spike of the last year has enhanced the gas tax revinue. We use the gas/roadway to keep the  the subway systems price low for the commuters... its gud for the envyronment too....   klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 01:18:01 PM »

filled at 2.49 today in maine, 50 miles further saw 2.39/gal at a citgo station. keep comin
down, yo!

Was $2.21 for regular around Tampa yesterday, Deano. Meanwhile, good old Randawful VT is still around $2.50. I usually buy my fuel in Montpelier where it's cheaper. We have a Sunoco station that runs 5¢ off per gallon on Thursdays, and charges the same price for 93 as for plus when they run the special. My #$@%^&*@! car requires at least 91 octane or is has a hissyfit. I'm going to SELL it, if I can ever get all of the problems fixed at the same time.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2006, 04:26:34 PM »

Wow!  I just topped off the tank for $2.099/ gal. (Decatur, IN) !!  They have been saying around here that it is going below $2.00.  Didn't think we would ever see that again.  Now, I just need to prepare myself for the tax increases that might follow.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2006, 11:51:47 AM »

There was a place out in the west/midwest last week selling for $1.96 or 98. Think it was Kansas or somewhere out that way. Still around $2.50 here in VT....

W8EJO

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:09 PM »

$1.96.9 was my last fill - Mason, OH - just north of Cincinnati.

Price diff by state is largely due to the gov't gouge which varies by state.

See:
 http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

NY is notoriously high! As is RI & WI.

The Fed tax is 18 cents.

Also, watch the Unleaded gas market here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities/cfutures.html

This is where retailers & others buy there gas for future delivery. The price has dropped 9 cents in the last week.

If we opened ANWAR, the FL Gulf & the CA coast to drilling, & built a few more refineries, the price would drop even further. Thank your local, brainless, tree hugging, MOW-RONS for this lack of domestic production & resultant dependence on assorted towelheaded Christian & Jew hating thugs for our oil.

Terry, W8EJO

John Holotko

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2006, 10:31:51 PM »

Gas is quite a bargain and going down. Let the good times roll. Happy days are here again.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2006, 10:47:11 PM »

To kind of put this into perspective, even though the price of gasoline is going down, a gallon of water is still more than a gallon of gas. Now what's wrong with that picture?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2006, 08:56:11 PM »

$2.49 in VT (best) after my drive from Maine.  I  heard about that suit, bizaaaaare!

am forever!
W8EJO

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »

Wholesale price has dropped nearly a dime in the last 10 days. Oil is under $60.

GASOLINE NY UNLD (cents/gallon) 145.600 - 10:38AM - 09/25/06

We are at $1.96.9 in dayton, OH.

Time to sell the GEO Metro & buy a Hummer.

Terry, W8EJO

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015