The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 11:15:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malicious interference to 3880 & vulgar language  (Read 9440 times)
KC4HGH

« on: April 24, 2006, 02:36:51 PM »

Last night I wanted to join in on a QSO on 3880 when some SSB ops came on & literally wiped it out.  The net or QSO ended just before 8PM Central, so I tuned to what was 3878 LSB to hear some really raunchy language by some pretty powerful stations.  Seems like they had a good time running the AMers off.  I announced my call & reprimanded them for poor operating practices & instantly became their next target...

I informed them that I'd start taping their transmissions and will send it to Riley; they toned it down a little but kept up their tirade.  I've contacted the FCC via telephone and e-mail to find the proper address to physically send the tape and a written complaint.

I'm tired of garbage like this- I have several school kids interested in amateur radio; this is the type of thing that could kill our hobby.

Join in or flame on- I'm a big boy....73 de Bud, KC4HGH
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:58:33 PM »

The best tack to take if you don't like what you hear is to turn it off, or change frequency.  Done it many, many times myself.

Intentional interference is another matter.  Definitely needs to be reported; those idiots on 3878 have been at it for years.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KC4HGH

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 11:59:34 PM »

WJN: see the posts re: "Wally & Rich-ert" elsewhere in this forum.  Thanks for the support.
John Holotko

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 03:21:02 PM »

The best tack to take if you don't like what you hear is to turn it off, or change frequency.  Done it many, many times myself.

Intentional interference is another matter.  Definitely needs to be reported; those idiots on 3878 have been at it for years.

I agree, best policy is to ignore  them. 90% of the time they are looking for attention. The less they get the better for everyone.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 05:43:20 PM »

I agree, best policy is to ignore  them. 90% of the time they are looking for attention. The less they get the better for everyone.

I don't fully agree with this approachconcerning this bunch.  Like so many others in the South, we have been dealing with their grief for years.  They have a few and when they are gassed enough will start deliberate interference plus the fowl language.

Here in OK, LA and TX area, we established a bit of truce with them.  They stayed where they are and we moved to 3.883 or 85.  I am glad someone else is taking the time to complain.  As I recall a couple from this area did, but that was a long time ago.  They are one problem that won't go away without direct action.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »

I remember when they first started up on 3878.  Forget the year, but it was the same year we had the big ice storm throughout the region, maybe 8-10 years ago.  They openly boasted that they chose the  frequency in order to "run the AM'ers off."  Before they came on the scene, and before the 3875 group appeared,  the "AM window" generally extended from about 3870 to 3890.

I have even had members of the 3878 group threaten to come to my QTH to cause physical harm to me and/or my property.  My response: " You better bring plenty of help with you."

Whenever they start the deliberate QRM, I ignore them, don't even admit that I hear anything.  They have never been able to keep me from hearing someone with a substantial signal, although it sometimes becomes unpleasant.  Of course, the pissweakers get lost in the rubbish.

I don't attempt to get into any kind of pissing contest with riffraff.  My philosophy is "strap 'n ignore." 

A few tapes and e-mails to Riley wouldn't hurt either.  But we must keep our own operation above reproach.  In the past, under similar situations, I recall the FCC saying that it looked like both sides were equally engaged, and they took no action.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 07:23:35 PM »

As Don points out, when conducting an investigation, the Federal Government agencies will look at both sides.  Keep your operation above reproach and let them be the ones who violate the rules. 

With the current empahsis on improper speech, they could be in a world of hurt.

WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 04:57:48 AM »

When FCC Enforcement Counsel Riley Hollingsworth attended the Timonium (Md.) Hamfest in March he took questions at a forum  that included how to handle malicious interference.

He replied that if it cannot be handled "on site," by one party or other moving out of the way, then a phone call to his office is appropriate, identifying all parties to the situation. When you make such a call to him, indicate whether you have audio recordings and discuss whether they can be sent to him.

Hollingsworth stated that he then considers the merit, and in some cases, will pull together the parties in a conference call or individual phone calls that he initiates to discuss the rules about avoiding deliberate interference.

It most cases that ever reach this level, such direct action resolves the situation.

KR4WI
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »

Hey Bud: Thanks, for trying to help. I listen a few weeks ago, and they came on freq while steve (qix) and few others where already in qso, And just started up like they was not their, I think steve even recorded them and got callsigns. I hope sometihing can be resolved. I have made a indoor ant, and it helps a little, The way Paul says they fcc handle it seems like a very good way to fix the problem. And I would encourage you to think about a legal limit transmitter to use. If you listen alot and notice that when stations like Don kyv and some of the others come on they have signals that make you think they are only one on the freq or close by. Matthew KR4WI
KC4HGH

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »

Smiley  UPDATE: Mr. Hollingsworth was very interested in the tape and written material I had & asked for it- it went out Certified w/a return & he's had it a couple of weeks now...and I've noticed it's been a bit quiet adjacent to 3880 & '85.  Most nights, I could even hear DX & low-powered stations.  makes me want to operate with my little p-nut whistle again!

73 all, Bud KC4HGH
c. mac neill w8znx
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »

they have been a pain in the rear
for most everybody
that hangs out this part of the band

am ops on 3880 and ssb ops on 3875

Don is right
lots of strap
tight receiver
never complain on the air

mac

WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »

Ah time to modulate the 22 pill, hopefully next season......or drag out the 4X3
I live for battle in the RX dept.
strap and ignor drives these idiots crazy
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 07:59:56 AM »

Ah time to modulate the 22 pill, hopefully next season......or drag out the 4X3
I live for battle in the RX dept.
strap and ignor drives these idiots crazy

Frank,
          Be sure to eat lots of pickled eggplant with anchovies and extra garlic, I will do the same. If the strapping signals dont drive them away, our bad breath definately will!
STRAP. IGNORE, AND CHEMICAL WARFARE!!
                                                                The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 11:07:32 AM »

Frank,
2 full jars sitting on the counter donated by my first grade pal. I'll get into them as soon as the last binge wears off. Tastes good and greases the system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015