The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:16:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT 102 RX lamp fuse help  (Read 9858 times)
KL7OF

« on: March 31, 2006, 07:08:30 PM »

I bought a rebuilt FT 102 from Mal NC4L a few years back and the rx has lost sensitivity..A phone call to Mal reveals that there should be about 10 ohms resistance across the antenna connector if the fuse lamp is OK.  20 megohm resistance if the lamp is blown... My radio has the high resistance indicating a blown fuse lamp..Mal says that the fuse lamp is buried inside the rig .  Has anyone  replaced this fuse lamp before? What are the specs for this fuse lamp? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to procede fixing the rig...Why do they bury the fuse inside?  My old FT 101 has the fuse lamp on the back panel....
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:25:22 PM »

The "fuse" is located inside the PA compartment.  Really, it's not very difficult to replace.  Start by removing the 6146's.  The lamp is mounted to a small board inside.  The SO-239 retaining nut will require removal on the rear panel. Then, the board can be removed.  It's been a while since I've replaced mine, but I believe there's a bit more involvement.  Take a look inside for other attachment points.  As far as the lamp itself, I'm sure Mal can give you the specifications.  He "loves" to talk about the rig. 
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 03:12:20 PM »

The "fuse" is located inside the PA compartment.  Really, it's not very difficult to replace.  Start by removing the 6146's.  The lamp is mounted to a small board inside.  The SO-239 retaining nut will require removal on the rear panel. Then, the board can be removed.  It's been a while since I've replaced mine, but I believe there's a bit more involvement.  Take a look inside for other attachment points.  As far as the lamp itself, I'm sure Mal can give you the specifications.  He "loves" to talk about the rig. 

Jay - Mal is definitely "Da Man" when it comes to FT-102's and he LOVES to talk about them! When he did a complete makeover on my old rig, he called me on the fone after 1 year just to check up and see how I was making out with it. What a guy! I think we spent about 2 hours talking about FT-102's on his dime.

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »

I'm replacing the lamp fuse in my FT 102... Mal gave me very specific instructions on how to do it and the part number of the fuse lamp but he wouldn't sell me a couple lamps from his stock.....He told me to get the lamps frm Yaesu.... I have an email in to them now and haven't heard from them yet..does anybody know if there is an acceptable substitute that is available from some source other than Yaesu?.....
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:23:01 AM »

I'm replacing the lamp fuse in my FT 102... Mal gave me very specific instructions on how to do it and the part number of the fuse lamp but he wouldn't sell me a couple lamps from his stock.....He told me to get the lamps frm Yaesu.... I have an email in to them now and haven't heard from them yet..does anybody know if there is an acceptable substitute that is available from some source other than Yaesu?.....

Steve,
        Don't take my word as "Gospel" for this, but I had the same thing happen to my old FT-102. I called Mal and he told me the only place the lamp was available was from a Yaesu dealer and proceeded to explain the installation instructions. If my memory serves me correct, the lamp is an integral part of the meter, and it's necessary to take the meter out of the radio, dissassemble it, unsolder the old lamp, and solder in the new one.

I'm sure there are other types of lamps that would fit, but I don't know for certain what they are. Again, it's been a few years since I replaced my lamp and new developments may have sprung up since then. All I remember is that it was a real pain in the ass to replace, and took two hours or so to do the job. It wasn't rocket science, just labor intensive like replacing the infamous "Chernobyl" VFO resistor on a Johnson Valiant.

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

BTW, The same "lamp" in question is also used on all of the FT-102 accessories ie: digital VFO, antenna tuna, etc etc.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
kz0e

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 11:09:17 AM »

Steve,

You need to call yeasu parts, numbers on the web page. They have been pretty painless to deal with. Do you mean the meter lamp or the rx fuse - grain'0'rice'  lamp?

Larry
KL7OF

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »

I'm replacing the grain o wheat RX fuse lamp located on the relay board in the final compartment..Easy to do... You do have to drop the rear panel....I found the yaesu part number  Q1000010 at Burghardt amateur supply (their part number PL000019)  A toll free call and 4 lamps are on the way....$1.38 ea..  The same lamp fuse is also used in the Yaesu 757..Thanks for the responses....73   Steve
N3WWL
Founding

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 01:10:51 PM »

Joe, not the meter lamps.  There is a small lamp that acts as an overload fuse at the input of the SO-239. That's what KL7OF was referring to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015