The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:07:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is So Wrong with the Ten Commandments  (Read 28493 times)
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 09:50:31 PM »

In a More Defined role I post this I found

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-02-28-commandments-edit_x.htm

On down the page I quote:

"That Unity will occur only when these Spectacles are moved out of the Town Square and into the Private Space of each Church,Synagogue and Mosque"

This is Interesting and useful, in a letter from John Quincy Adams found Here:

http://www.christianparents.com/ffathers.htm

and i quote the Web Page Writer: " Explains the Constitution as dependent upon the virtues proclaimed in the Declarition of Independence. That's why the ten Commandments are in Stone on the Supreme Court Building."

Now I don't know if they are there or Not, but it comes to mind by this Furthering Seperation of the Dieties Gov and Religion and subsequent actions of the Gov, it's furthering it's own agenda..Seperation of the people and the Gov[State], for the people and by the people then the people should do the choosing not the Courts or the managers of the iinfrastructure.

Interesting.
W1UJR
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 09:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Jack-KA3ZLR-
Seperation of the people and the Gov[State], for the people and by the people then the people should do the choosing not the Courts or the managers of the iinfrastructure.

Interesting.

I think what it comes down to Jack is the burning desire by certain fringe elements in this country to remove any concept of God and replace it with goverment.

Remember, Rome fell not from without, but from within.

Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

Bruce i posted right after you Good Picture OM are the commandments there i can't see them I see the Tablets..
W1UJR
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2005, 10:03:38 PM »

From these photos, our goverment's foundations seem pretty clear to me.

Supreme Court

Moses with the Ten Commandments in the rotunda of the Library of Congress

Moses with the Ten Commandments inside the Supreme Court's courtroom

"Liberty of Worship" statute resting on the Ten Commandments outside the Ronald Reagan Building

The Ten Commandments in the floor of the National Archives

An excerpt from Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural speech carved into the interior of the Lincoln Memorial

A stained glass window of George Washington praying, in the chapel in the U.S. Capitol
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 10:25:09 PM »

Bruce, first you say that it's OK to post the ten Commandments in Courts and public buildings, and you state that many other religions say the same thing.  But then you don't want those other scriptures quoted.  So you would forbid the posting of passages from these other belief systems in a court of law?  Or in a public building?

It's just when people start to invoke God to assert their will and run their control-freak trip that I have a problem, especially when what they are saying and calling for are unrecognizable as Christian doctrine.

There is indeed a powerful heritage of basically monotheistic faith from the founding of this nation, and indeed written into the Declaration of Independence.  Not so much Jesus (there was some dispute about Christianity per se), as God; faith in the power of the diety, not so much in the power of man.

And this was quite appropriate thinking, given the puny Continental forces compared to the mighty world power of Great Britain.  It was incredibly courageous for the former Colonies to stand against Britain, and the people who did it fervently hoped in the support of divine providence, and said so frequently - of this there is no question.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2005, 10:32:04 PM »

Awesum Arcitecture, I have never been to the Supreme Court Building.

Thanks Bruce for putting those up,
W1UJR
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2005, 10:43:26 PM »

Quote from: Bacon, WA3WDR
Bruce, first you say that it's OK to post the ten Commandments in Courts and public buildings, and you state that many other religions say the same thing.  But then you don't want those other scriptures quoted.  So you would forbid the posting of passages from these other belief systems in a court of law?  Or in a public building?

It's just when people start to invoke God to assert their will and run their control-freak trip that I have a problem, especially when what they are saying and calling for are unrecognizable as Christian doctrine.

There is indeed a powerful heritage of basically monotheistic faith from the founding of this nation, and indeed written into the Declaration of Independence.  Not so much Jesus (there was some dispute about Christianity per se), as God; faith in the power of the diety, not so much in the power of man.

And this was quite appropriate thinking, given the puny Continental forces compared to the mighty world power of Great Britain.  It was incredibly courageous for the former Colonies to stand against Britain, and the people who did it fervently hoped in the support of divine providence, and said so frequently - of this there is no question.

My reply was to another poster who made the "drive by" comment that religions would just fight over the posting of the 10 Commandments.
In his words “Probably fight to the death over the meaning and application of these rules to modern life.
There is no single Christian voice, why encourage the state to mouth one?”
My point was that “the state” has already “mouthed one”, and indeed it has been here for hundreds of years without dissent or fighting until recently.
I don’t see Christian voices calling for the removal of the 10 Commandments; it is the secular humanists that are doing so.
God fearing people believe in and want our country to follow those very precepts upon which it was founded.

As to posting other faiths beliefs on US public buildings, or worse yet changing current building to accommodate such, I say no.
This is America, based on Judeo-Christian principle.
What defines a country are language, borders and heritage.
We have already lost control of our borders and language, its time to draw the line at our heritage.

And you are right, clearly God's hand has been upon this country since its founding, the freedom and blessings we enjoy today are a direct result of our forefathers following God's word.

Thanks for pointing that out OM!

Ed W1XAW
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2005, 10:44:59 PM »

Ok,  at this point I'm a little confused.  Am I supposed to love my brother, declare him evil and kill him or just post the ten commandments in public places?  My own Christian beliefs keep tripping me up in following the logic here.  Would offing a muslim family help me through or should I just post the commandments.  I don't think we are supposed to kill.  Can I still go to Sunday hamfests?  Any help would be appreciated.  Ed
W1UJR
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2005, 10:46:44 PM »

Hi Jack,

You are most welcome!

Sad thing is, at 40 years of age I am just starting to understand and appreciate what this country was founded on.
Call me a victim of public education, but the more I read about this country's founders, the more I am angered how much been suppressed by our education system.
Laugh at our friend from Liberty Corner, but he is more often than not right on the mark.

We have a great heritage and much to be proud of, and I for one feel blessed to be an American.

What other country in the worked could have created such cool boatanchors!  :p

Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2005, 10:48:11 PM »

Bacon I like the way you put this together..I had to quote it...awesum.
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2005, 10:56:30 PM »

Quote from: W1UJR

Hi Jack,

You are most welcome!

Sad thing is, at 40 years of age I am just starting to understand and appreciate what this country was founded on. Call me a victim of public education, but the more I read about this country's founders, the more I am angered how much been suppressed by our education system.

We have a great heritage and much to be proud of, and I for one feel blessed to be an American.

What other country in the worked could have created such cool boatanchors!  :p

I'm with ya Bruce, it sorta makes the Courtroom Dogma Silly and Petty in the full Scope of things. There is so much being left out and done on purpose. it just boogles the mind.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005, 11:39:56 PM »

Not sure why my commentary is "drive by" Bruce??  

My educational experience regarding American History was primarily at the undergraduate level at a state school.  I did not attend high school so I can't comment on that.  At the college level there was certainly no attempt to hide the country's religious heritage and its influence on our political and social development.  From the survey courses I took I thought it was pretty clear that the founding fathers, although Christian, were very suspicious of the state adopting a particular denomination of Christianity more  than anything else.  By all means they were not (as a group) opposed to Christianity.   I too am very supicious of allowing the state to push any particular interpretation of the bible etc.  If you took any such coursework it really should be clear that religious belief is at the very foundation of our country.  It's not just confined to government either.  One of my professors told us all that you couldn't understand western literature if you didn't understand the bible because so much of the symbolism and allegory refers back to bibical stories and themes that most readers have in common.  Of course its a little silly to think that posting the ten commandments amount to pushing a particular religious view but I am pretty much convinced that the true intent of many of the folks pushing these largely symbolic issues like school prayer and posting the ten commandments is actually to push their beliefs on to others (think J. Falwell and co.).  Christianity (little c) encompasses many diverse beliefs some of which are strange and ugly like the Catholic haters, Rock and Roll is the devil's music crowd, snake handlers, you name it.  I'm not afraid of Christianity per se but rather my neighbors interpretation of Christianity. . . .sort of like the founding fathers.   If you relate it back to the hobby, it would seem that people on the radio discussing religion are not usually looking for common ground but pushing a point of view.  I usually spin the dial for that.  

73 de Ed
WV Hoopie
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2005, 12:24:23 AM »

So...................since the courts have decided to turn their backs on the Ten Commandments, pretend they don't exist, and have no place in the courts or government, if I ever have to attend a hearing or trial; when I get to the swearing in part and I'm asked to tell the truth, blah, blah, blah, etc. do I say?, " Of course not, there is no need of truth without the Ten Commandments and the existence of God, without these two I have no fear of this court, or of the devil."

From UJR's post of pics of the Ten Commandments on and in government buildings, someone felt they (the commandments) were of value, maybe a good way to guide and model our lives?

Hoopie,
John Holotko

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2005, 02:24:17 AM »

So why not post a collage of all of these statements?  

Why do we have to compromise our heritage for that of other cultures?
Why tear down what is already built?
The 10 Commandments as given to Moses are a guidebook for life, given by God, how can man improve on that?
Have you ever looked at the front of the building which houses the Supreme Court of the United States?
Care to guess the gentleman in the center of the work?
I'll give you a hint, its not anyone from the ACLU.
It is actually Moses holding the 10 Commandments, I think that clearly states the principals which this country holds dear.
If the highest court in the land holds those principals dear, thats good enough for me.

Those images are artifacts, relics of  bygone days. Sure, they may have been appropriate at the time they were erected but, like everything else, times change. This nation has changed. Over the past century it has grown and advanced economically, socially and scientifically. And in the process it has diversified. This country is comprised of vast races, religions, and nationalities all sharing an equal role as citizens and stewarts of this ever growing, ever evolving,  and ever changing nation.  Would it be warranted to remove such statues or religious icons ?? No, there is no reason to remove good quality artwork any more than it would be to remove depictions of Greek Or Roman Gods of mythology. But, at the same time, in our  present day, there is absolutely no need to post iconst, symbols, or excerpts from any particular religious doctrine on the walls of a public courthouse, or any public space for that matter. As a progressive nation we move with the times. besides, there is plenty of space for each religious denomination to practice it's arts and beliefs without having to plackard them over every public space in sight. The founding forefathers had the insight to grant all Americans freedom of religion which all Americans currently enjoy.. They did not grant every American the right to  impose  his/her religion on every other American in public spaces.  It's truly amazing. The founding forefathers had incredible foresight to understand that a growing and prospering nation will become more  and  more ethnically and religiously diverse. The founding forefathers were indeed the true progressives, the true liberals of their time.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2005, 02:30:19 AM »

Bruce - as impressive and expressive as that building ornamentation is, it can not really be said to represent a direct statement by the founders of this nation.  As a matter of fact, all of the items you presented as proof of your position were 20th century artifacts - except possibly the one from the Library of Congress, which may go back as far as 1897.

The Supreme Court building was built between 1932 and 1935.

As for the Library of Congress: The Thomas Jefferson Building (between Independence Avenue and East Capitol Street on First Street SE) opened in 1897, and was long the main building of the Library; the John Adams Building (between Independence Avenue and East Capitol Street on 2nd Street SE) opened as an annex in 1938; and the James Madison Memorial Building (between First and Second Streets on Independence Avenue SE) opened in 1981 as the new headquarters of the Library.

The Ronald Reagan building was opened in 1998.

The National Archives building was opened in 1937.

The Lincoln Memorial building was opened in 1922.

The US Capitol Building was begun in 1793, and its cornerstone was laid by George Washington himself!  But the presidential prayer room which houses that stained glass window was not added until the 83rd congress (1953).  The "under God" phrase on the window confirms this dating; this was right around the time when President Eisenhower added those words to the Pledge of Allegiance.

More supportive of your position are the stratospheric words of George Washington, from his farewell address in 1796:

" ... Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.  ..."

And also:

"... Observe good faith and justice towards all nations; cultivate peace and harmony with all. Religion and morality enjoin this conduct; and can it be, that good policy does not equally enjoin it? It will be worthy of a free, enlightened, and at no distant period, a great nation, to give to mankind the magnanimous and too novel example of a people always guided by an exalted justice and benevolence. Who can doubt that, in the course of time and things, the fruits of such a plan would richly repay any temporary advantages which might be lost by a steady adherence to it? Can it be that Providence has not connected the permanent felicity of a nation with its virtue? The experiment, at least, is recommended by every sentiment which ennobles human nature. Alas!  Is it rendered impossible by its vices? ..."

W1UJR
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2005, 08:05:52 AM »

Bruce - as impressive and expressive as that building ornamentation is, it can not really be said to represent a direct statement by the founders of this nation.  

Oh it’s much more than "ornamentation" Bacon and I think you know that.
But again, my point was not to directly show what the founders of this country thought, it was to respond to Jack's question about the display of the 10 Commandments in government buildings.

Now that point has been proved beyond any doubt, let’s turn our attention to your statement Bacon and see what this country's founders did think about the Christian faith.

Jamestown:
Here is where our nation began our Christian roots. Jamestown was the first permanent English settlement in America. One of the first acts of Captain John Smith and his soldiers after they landed in Virginia in April of 1607 was to erect a wooden cross on the shore at Cape Henry. It was at the foot of this cross that Reverend Robert Hunt led the one-hundred and forty-nine men of the Virginia company in public prayer, thanking God for their safe journey, and recommitting themselves to God's plan and purpose for this new world.

At Plymouth Rock. The Pilgrims established the Mayflower Compact:
"In the presence of God, Amen. We...do by these presents solemnly and mutually in the presence of God, and one another, covenant and combine ourselves into a civil body politic."

The Declaration of Independence, signed by the delegates to the Continental Congress, on July 4, 1776:
"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men...."  

Let The Men Speak For Themselves

The Father of the Bill of Rights
George Mason
Insisted that the first ten amendments be added to the Constitution.
"The laws of nature are the laws of God, whose authority can be superseded by no power on earth,"

John Adams
"The general principles on which the fathers achieved Independence were ... the general principles of Christianity ... I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that the general principles of Christianity are as etemal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God."

Charles Cotesworth Pinckney
A signer of The Constitution, and served as a delegate to the national Constitutional Convention. Pinckney was a statesman, soldier, planter, a brigadier general and a candidate for President and vice-president. Like the rest of the signers of the Constitution, he too recognized the Sovereignty of God:
"Blasphemy against the Almighty is denying his being or providence, or uttering contumelious reproaches on our Saviour Christ. It is punished, at common law by fine and imprisonment, for Christianity is part of the laws of the land."

George Washington said in his "Farewell Address"
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars."

Geroge Washington again
"It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God and to obey His will "

Patrick Henry
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here."

The words of Thomas Jefferson
"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, this his justice cannot sleep forever."

John Jay
The first Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, and one of the three men most responsible for the writing of the Constitution declared:
"Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is their duty-as well as privilege and interest- of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

United States Supreme Court, 1892
"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian... ... ...This is a Christian Nation."

President Lincoln:
 "...That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
His second Inaugural Address alludes to "God", "the bible", "providence," "the Almighty," and "divine attributes."

Now, if you still doubt all of that, you have the numerous Christian references in buildings created by our government, the "In God we trust" stamped into our coins and printed on every dollar bill, the oath taken on the Bible during court testimony, the oath before God which a US President must take, and the prayer which proceeds the opening of each session of Congress.
Seems pretty clear to me, we were founded as a Christian nation and it is only in recent times that that such has been challenged by those with their own secular agenda.

I'll say it again, what defines a country is its borders, language and heritage.
If we are to give those up in the name of "diversity", we lose the very things which make this country unique.

I do not want to live in Arabia, Somalia, or Mexico, I live in America and want to continue to do so.
I don't want to hear Spanish spoken in schools and government buildings, or the "separate and distinct" approach that Canada has taken.
Nor do I want to see illegal aliens given rights and privileges which by law are to be afforded only to citizens of this country.
Such efforts, while they seem noble, serve only to divide and Balkanize our country.

Those who favor one world government and the replacement of God with government would dearly love to see our American heritage disappear and our sovereignty be destroyed.
And you, as an American, should be kicking and fighting that every inch of the way.

Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2005, 08:40:31 AM »

Good Morning All,

Subsequent Reason I have found that a Flaw exsists in the Removal of artifacts that were present prior to Todays Diversity dogma. In their Hurry to make a point towards separation of Church and state i think we all agree that, that, which was present prior and not added to as of late, need'nt  been removed at all, for obvious Cause.

It's been a Gooder Discussion OM's and interesting.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2005, 08:49:26 AM »

Um,  This is a very simple and subtle debate tactic. . .set up straw man just to knock him down.  Suddenly the question is whether this country has a Christian heritage and endless google searches to support the answer??.   Of course the country has a Christian heritage but the question here was whether the government should (not did but should today) push a particular religion.  Many people believe that it should but the question of what those beliefs mean is where it all falls apart as there is no national consensus or monolithic belief system called Christianity.  Seriously, you might have to pick up a book (as opposed to googling) but you should be able to figure out in short order that there are fundamental disagreements within Christianity about what this all means.

It's all lip service anyway.  Very few people (self included) try to follow the commandments except perhaps beyond not stealing or adultry.  Killing is ok as long as it isn't a resident of our borders and we all know the great American god is the dollar.

73 de Ed, google away
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2005, 09:15:23 AM »

Not from this end Ed,

Good Morning, I used searches for information to further my understanding on here on the net so i don't have to run to the library. And i'm interested in Why we have to knock down Art and Philosophy that was built prior to This Diversity kick going around. Talk to any kids lately,, i have, do you ever ask them how this was founded, how this all began, why we are here, why we do what we do...it's a shame what's Not being taught to the children of today, and my question was just that Why.

Now i'm fine with any new construction going up and the walls being Blank so we don't give any hint of Coersion in the public place, I already made my choice in life, But the future gens Ed, ya know, Leave the arcitecture that was built in place, let them decide for themselves you see what i'm driving at.

You take away Choice and you take away inspiration i think what i'm coming to here, Power of Choice...how can you choose if you take it all away.
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2005, 09:45:42 AM »

Hey Jack,

Actually the google searches have been interesting and I enjoyed reading them.  Excessive googling doesn't make for a coherent argument but rather a series of "facts", that was the point.  Remember the internet is like a huge magazine with no editor so whether something is correct isn't subject to the same peer review that most print goes through (not that anything we saw here was factually wrong).  I agree, let em stay and I won't fall on a long knife if they put new ones up.  

Anybody gonna put a fork in this thread??  Ed
Jack-KA3ZLR-
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2005, 10:09:47 AM »

FB Men, we have reached accord, I'm happy with this...Tie the ribbons... Cheesy
W1UJR
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2005, 10:13:31 AM »

Quote from: Ed W1XAW
Hey Jack,

Actually the google searches have been interesting and I enjoyed reading them.  Excessive googling doesn't make for a coherent argument but rather a series of "facts", that was the point.  Remember the internet is like a huge magazine with no editor so whether something is correct isn't subject to the same peer review that most print goes through (not that anything we saw here was factually wrong).  I agree, let em stay and I won't fall on a long knife if they put new ones up.  

Anybody gonna put a fork in this thread??  Ed

On the contrary, the argument was quite coherent to anyone posessed of logical reasoning.
One states a position then backs up said position with facts.
The methodology used to collect those facts is irrelevant; the facts stand on their own merit.
I believe you would be most hard pressed to find error in the facts or photos which were presented, but I encourage you to do so.

The unfortunate end of all this is that, with the aid of secular organizations such as the ACLU, this country has begun and will continue to turn away from the belief systems which made it great, in order to please a small vocal minority.

Whether such a turn takes the form of removing the 10 Commandments from public places, suppressing all mention of God in government and educational curriculum, villainizing our Founding Fathers as “evil white men” or recklessly pursing a course of “multi-culturalsim”, the end result is the same – the destruction of the very fabric and precepts which made this country.

And that  is the simple answer why there is such outcry about the new displays of God’s 10 Commandments in public locations.

Good topic Jack, thanks for bringing it up!
Consider the ribbon tied!

Ed W1XAW
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2005, 10:22:09 AM »

Actually Bruce you get the final word on this.  I made my points.  Ed
John Holotko

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2005, 10:57:00 AM »

Quote from: Ed W1XAW
Hey Jack,I

he unfortunate end of all this is that, with the aid of secular organizations such as the ACLU, this country has begun and will continue to turn away from the belief systems which made it great, in order to please a small vocal minority.

The founding forefathers were the first "ACLU" this country ever had. Today the ACLU is a key organization fighting to maintain ithe freedoms and civil liberties and the decision making properties as the founding forefathers intended. The ACLU represents not a small minority but a vast majority, namely all Americans who believe in the principles that great nation was founded.

Whether such a turn takes the form of removing the 10 Commandments from public places, suppressing all mention of God in government and educational curriculum, villainizing our Founding Fathers as “evil white men” or recklessly pursing a course of “multi-culturalsim”, the end result is the same – the destruction of the very fabric and precepts which made this country.

Those who would want to force one religion or the tenets of any one (or more)religion(s) on the people of America and basied the decision making processes which America is founded of any one or group of religion(s) are going against the dreams of the founding forefathers and deeming the work of the founding forefathers work as evil.  The founding forefathers had the insight to realize the America would be a land of  extreme  diversity, q multicultural land and thus created a form of government that was dynamic, that could change and diversify to suit the vast range of different nationalities, cultures, races, religions that will come upon our shores and yet still grant the same freedoms and liberties to all. THAT my friend is the true spirtit  of America. It is why Christians, Jews, Atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, Baptists, Pagans,  etc. can all live in the same land, practice their religions freely, and enjoy the same rights and liberties as anyone else.  When any one single religion attempts to corrupt this balance and become the supreme religion, the main religion, the one by which all Americans must obey then we have strayed from the visions of our founding forefathers and correupted their dream. Then we have betrayed them.

[

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 12:11:45 PM »

Bruce: the quotes reflect theistic belief, yes.  But only some of them allude to, or name, Jesus.  A few points regarding three of the quotes:
-----------------------------
Patrick Henry
"It cannot be emphasized too strongly that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity and freedom of worship here."

The words of Thomas Jefferson
"God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that these liberties are the gift of God? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, this his justice cannot sleep forever."

United States Supreme Court, 1892
"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon and embody the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian... ... ...This is a Christian Nation."
---------------------------

Parick Henry did not consider the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be a religion (!), yet he spoke of "other faiths."  Actually I worry when someone believes so implicitly that he feels he is in utter contact with the truth.  Henry must not have realized that he believed what HE thought, not necessarily what was true.

Thomas Jefferson made that statement in writing about the cruelty of slavery, cruelty toward slaves, and the teaching of this to children, and he feared that God was going to clobber this nation because of it.
http://douglassarchives.org/jeff_a51.htm

The Supreme Court also once found that Negros were not people, on the basis that parrots could talk, etc.  Since that time, somebody must have told them that the very same argument would find that all races, including Caucasians, were "not people."  I suspect that the members of the Supreme Court were about as controversial then, as they are now.

Nowhere does the Constitution, the supreme law of the land, require that citizens must be believers of any religion, Christian or otherwise; nor does it establish a national Church.  The Constitution addressed slavery, allowing the continued existence of the slave trade, and protecting that permission until 1808 - but it did not require religion.  I submit that although the founders and the People were fervent believers of several sorts, the United States itself is secular.  Note the very first provision of the First Amendment to the Constitution, added shortly after the Constitution was ratified:

Bill of Rights, Amendment I:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Constitution, ratification completed: June 21, 1788
New government under the Constitution commenced: March 4, 1789
Last original colony to ratify Constitution: Vermont, January 10, 1791
Vermont's ratification approved by act of Congress: February 18, 1791
Bill of Rights (Amendments 1-10 of Constitution), ratification completed: December 15, 1791.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015