The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3KV Meter Multiplier Resistor  (Read 14775 times)
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 09:13:05 PM »

I'm going to get some of those aluminum 100K @ 50 watt 3% jobs, put three in series followed by a 75K Ohmite "Dividohm" and use the tap to calibrate the 3 KV meter for the RF.  Sounds like a plan.  I'll put the 2KV matching Simpson meter in the plate supply for the modulator.  It's multiplier is several megs.  I can use more of the 100K bugs; series/parallel for the modulator supply bleeder giving me 100K total. I just might break some rules here and build a cap input filter around a swinging choke with a 12 MFD / Choke / 4 MFD cap / 100K bleeder to the modulator.  That should get me close to 1400 VDC under load to a pair of 811A's with zero bias.

All things considered I'm looking at 300-325 watts carrier with close to 300 watts audio. The UTC S-22 is good for 250 watts so it looks like I'm in the ballpark.  Now I'm getting excited.   Grin Shocked
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »

Verify the 8 ma full scale. Make up a battery / potentiometer supply, if you haven't already, and put it across the "unknown" meter with series measuring current meter and parallel measuring voltmeter.

Verify How much voltage and at what current it takes to show full scale.

Added later: I agree also that putting the 8ma meter in series with the rest of the (375k - 6.23k) resistor string for 3000 volts supply is the way to go.
The meter or internal shunt if any dissipates only about 0.4 watt at its delta V of 49.8 volts.

The whole bleeder string dissipates .008 x 3000v or 24 watts.
You don't need a higher current bleeder for a class C final (in AM op. only) added to an "always on" modulator running class B.  Those already draw a minimum current sufficient to stabilize choke supplies or even high C supplies with no chokes.  

-And add a separate HV measuring string with higher value resistors to yield a safety drawdown but at longer time constant, of course, as already mentioned.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015