The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:01:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single 3-500 Linear Amplifier Project  (Read 21280 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »

Jon,
I like the transformers in there. Is the lower one the BC-610 plate unit? top one for filaments? reminds me of the LV power unit from an IBM minicomputer I scrapped long ago. Lots of wires, more than enough 10V +/- for many tubes.

BC610 transformer can make lots of power, more than enuf for a 3-500, you will get good regulation in spite of the transformer's high winding resistance. I made a nice 2M linear amp using one of those and two 4CX250s in cavities. It never lacked regulation, ran a choke input setup for 2KVDC/500mA.

For screening on the RF deck, some hardware stores offer perforated brass or aluminum sheets in large sizes. Some of the perforations are ornate.

I love the lighting scheme. Moreor less 'monochromatic' or definite-color light makes very striking effects. Black light is great. If the "BLB" filter is good, there will be little lvisible blue light but lots of fluorescence. If using plexiglass, get the UV coated stuff so the UV won't craze it. A deep red in combination with black light is sriking too. I look forward to the visual art of the results. Going with just Black light, painting the inside flat black and outlining the edges of the components in some fluorescent paint colors would be very striking even with the 3-500 washing it out a bit. There is color filter sheeting inexpensively available from GAM gamonline.com and each type shows a spectral response curve so you could tailor the light. A blue/UV one i used blocked everything from a 2KW tungsten light and gave a very deep blue 'night time' effect on stage.

As far as heavy amps. - the thing could qualify well in the annual heavy metal rally promoted on this BBS, where a high lbs. per Watt ratio is desirable.

Where do you live that scorpions sit in trees? That's scary.. I hate finding them in closets and woodpiles. I thought all i had to worry about dropping from trees were caterpillars..

Dennis,
having so many BC610 iron, have you considered putting an equalizing choke (a 60Hz 1:1 current balun) in the primaries of two, and then parallelling them? nutty idea but big variacs were parallelled that way.

yes that huge heavy iron, it's beautiful; I'm happy. Duncan says 3200V@1.2A but it will do more current and with a C input filter, 5050V@350mA and 4500V@2A (ICAS there). That amp needs 5KV on the plates to make the 2KW. 3200 will make 4-1000's sluggish - maybe 800-1000W.
 I believe even though it will not fit well it's going to be the plate iron for the 2KW audio amp. I been getting bids to refurb the output transformer. BTW did you find the front control panels, glass, anything else and maybe also the LV iron for that monster? Think you had found that stuff. Sam has found the chassis', but alas the 4x1 sockets are missing.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KF7WWW

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »

Jon,
I like the transformers in there. Is the lower one the BC-610 plate unit? top one for filaments? reminds me of the LV power unit from an IBM minicomputer I scrapped long ago. Lots of wires, more than enough 10V +/- for many tubes.

BC610 transformer can make lots of power, more than enuf for a 3-500, you will get good regulation in spite of the transformer's high winding resistance. I made a nice 2M linear amp using one of those and two 4CX250s in cavities. It never lacked regulation, ran a choke input setup for 2KVDC/500mA.

For screening on the RF deck, some hardware stores offer perforated brass or aluminum sheets in large sizes. Some of the perforations are ornate.

I love the lighting scheme. Moreor less 'monochromatic' or definite-color light makes very striking effects. Black light is great. If the "BLB" filter is good, there will be little lvisible blue light but lots of fluorescence. If using plexiglass, get the UV coated stuff so the UV won't craze it. A deep red in combination with black light is sriking too. I look forward to the visual art of the results. Going with just Black light, painting the inside flat black and outlining the edges of the components in some fluorescent paint colors would be very striking even with the 3-500 washing it out a bit. There is color filter sheeting inexpensively available from GAM gamonline.com and each type shows a spectral response curve so you could tailor the light. A blue/UV one i used blocked everything from a 2KW tungsten light and gave a very deep blue 'night time' effect on stage.

As far as heavy amps. - the thing could qualify well in the annual heavy metal rally promoted on this BBS, where a high lbs. per Watt ratio is desirable.

Where do you live that scorpions sit in trees? That's scary.. I hate finding them in closets and woodpiles. I thought all i had to worry about dropping from trees were caterpillars..

Dennis,
having so many BC610 iron, have you considered putting an equalizing choke (a 60Hz 1:1 current balun) in the primaries of two, and then parallelling them? nutty idea but big variacs were parallelled that way.

yes that huge heavy iron, it's beautiful; I'm happy. Duncan says 3200V@1.2A but it will do more current and with a C input filter, 5050V@350mA and 4500V@2A (ICAS there). That amp needs 5KV on the plates to make the 2KW. 3200 will make 4-1000's sluggish - maybe 800-1000W.
 I believe even though it will not fit well it's going to be the plate iron for the 2KW audio amp. I been getting bids to refurb the output transformer. BTW did you find the front control panels, glass, anything else and maybe also the LV iron for that monster? Think you had found that stuff. Sam has found the chassis', but alas the 4x1 sockets are missing.

The sockets in that audio amp where in pretty bad shape... I know I have them somewhere I just have to do some more digging... They where just standard metal sockets like the ones available from china.. I've been trying to gather enough stuff to send all at once.. It's amazing for how little stuff I have " compared to professional collectors Grin" how quickly things get buried and put away in a safe place. Still amazes me how good my safe places are.... I still haven't found some things...

Sam
ka1tdq

Red part turned in for a refund.

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:38 AM »

Sam, I'm interested in that Henry 2K choke. Let me know what you want for it and I can come pick it up.  Call or email.  ka1tdq@gmail.com

Jon

It’s not just values, it’s business.
ka1tdq

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »

...and I just noticed the previous couple comments.  Yes, I'm definitely trying to do the fung-shway with the lighting.  I'm planning on painting the wood frame black and doing something extra for the RF deck since the 3-500 won't glow that much.  I don't want to add too much though in that it crowds out the focus on the tube.

I'm thinking some LED lighting (blue, and not too bright) in the top of the frame to help out the RF deck.  I will need to do some shielding too on everything except the front of the RF deck which will just have plexiglass.  I'll probably use metal screening.

KL7OF

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

I like blue tubes
ka1tdq

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »

Thanks again Sam, KF7WWW for the 2k Henry choke.  Angelica and I drove over to his place Thursday evening and I was very surprised to see another AMer my age who could talk tubes.  The picture shows the choke mounted on level 3.  The 3-500 came in also. 

* CAM00467.jpg (1410.93 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 413 times.)

KA2DZT

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 12:55:58 AM »

Jon,

Glad you got a proper choke for the rig.  Making some progress each day is important.

I built a rig, two power levels 6146 x 6550s or 813 x 811As, a complete stand alone xmtr, VFO to antenna in a 3ft x 18in rack.  I forget how many separate power supplies it has (about 10 IIRC).  It took about 10 years.

Fred
ka1tdq

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »

I finished painting the cabinet black today. I have all the parts I need to complete it except for a few miscellaneous stuff like diodes and things.  I'll start wiring and mounting the components tomorrow. 

I stopped into Fry's today to figure out what I wanted to do for RF deck lighting.  I saw a 3-inch blue LED lit muffin fan that would give just the right amount of light behind the tube without overpowering it.  I'll stack them one on top of the other and it should look totally awesome!

By the way, I ordered a high power rated vacuum relay from Ukraine for $25 (shipping included).  I'll put that into an enclosure with a 24 volt power supply to switch between TX/RX coaxes.  It's alot better than paying US commercial prices for essentially the same product.  (Actually better, mine is in a vacuum).

Jon

* CAM00469.jpg (1635.8 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 391 times.)

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 10:04:09 PM »

Good choice.  A vacuum antenna relay will help reduce risk to your driver and receiver from a flashover from pole 1 to pole 2.  (RF amplifier in, RF amplifier out circuit)

I've had two disasters where  open frame ant relay poles arced together and took out my transceiver. Since using vac relays for ant switching, no problems.

You can still use a small mechanical (air gap) relay for the PTT keying, no problem, but the ant relay is more critical.

The rig is starting to look good.  Add some grey smoked or lightly tinted blue Plexiglas for the outside cabinet and it will look like something from Flash Gordon...  Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2013, 07:59:49 PM »

Try to find some ancient leaded glass.  Then you get Rd shielding and ooooh factor  Smiley

Shane
KD6VXI
ka1tdq

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:27 AM »

I haven't done any of the wiring yet, but this is the night time view without the tube glowing. Right now I'm finishing a link coupled tuner which will feed a flat-top dipole with ladder line.

Jon
KA1TDQ

* CAM00483.jpg (907.12 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 372 times.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015