The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:07:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schematic Drawing Software for Tube-Type Circuits?  (Read 4799 times)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« on: April 01, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »

I'm looking for a CAD program (preferably a free download) for drawing tube-type schematics.  What do you folks use?  What do you recommend?  I'm always suspicious of so-called "free downloads" in that many of them load up your computer with a bunch of un-wanted junk and tool bars, etc.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
wa3dsp

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »

KiCAD is what I use. Like anything it has a learning curve. You can make your own part if one does not exist. For tubes it is usually easy because the basic triodes, tetrodes, pentodes are there and you can just alias a different type.

KiCAD is totally free and well supported. Originally written for Linux it now runs very well in Windows. But since I know hams are cheap don't try to run it in some old Windows system. I would say Vista or newer. I use it on windows7 64 and it works well. I only use it for schematics but it also includes other modules for PCB board layout etc.

http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite

I would recommend downloading the DIY series of libraries for KiCAD also. The libraries you use and the ordering of the libraries is important. It will pick the first part matching your search criteria. Since there are both European and US schematic parts in the libraries you would probably want the US parts up front.

I had used ORCAD, a commercial product, for many years prior and it was a natural to jump into KICAD. As I said if you have not used electronic schematic programs before there is a learning curve so be patient.
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »

Jack

I am sure that there are many programs that others will suggest. If you download LTspiceIV (free, and easy to use for actual simulations as well as for schematic drawing), you will find triode, tetrode, and pentode symbols in the "Component" menu under the "[Misc]" sub-menu. I.e. Edit=> Component => double click on [Misc].

Also, in the "Tools" tab, you can select "write bitmap to clipboard"... and then paste the schematic (or the simulation results) into another file (e.g. .pptx).

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
WZ5Q

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »

Howdy Jack,
The freebee I use is called Eagle.

The basic package is free but your limited to only 1 sheet for the schematic. It also allows you to design a limited size, 2 layer circuit board from your scuzmatic with auto-routing and other features. There is allot of support for different component libraries, and the libraries are fairly simple to edit to design your own components.

There is of course a learning curve, but it isn't too steep. I haven't gravitated to anything else because for one, I didn't want to have to re-learn another system; and two, I really haven't outgrown this one yet.

Take care,

Mike
WZ5Q
From Deep Down in the Dark Dismal Swamps of the Calcasieu
http://www.wz5q.net
MikeKE0ZUinkcmo

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:51 PM »

Go to expresspcb.com and download their schamatic/pcb program.   Hands down the easiest to learn, use, and generate new parts/symbols with.

You can add as many sheets as you'd like, generate net lists, and you can do single, two side, or multi-layer PCBs.  No auto-router though.

I suggest you check them out, good software, and good company.

Mike KE0ZU

Bold Text and PICS are usually links

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »

Here is a schematic symbol file I found on the net a while ago.. You can use these with any paint program, including MS Paint, Photoshop, etc. CAD is great but this is simple just like point to point wiring should be! The file is in ZIP format, so just save it and enjoy..

http://www.joeltunnah.com/SchematicSymbols.zip

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:54 AM »

Thank you everyone for the great info and leads!  I'm sure that I should be able to use one of the suggested programs.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015